General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

They get away with it because 1) people are idiots and 2) most of the mainstream media completely support it, and not enough people care about their lying.

These people know what they're doing, and know that, for every person who knows it's a lie, there will be about another four or five who don't even bother to check, and they know that people won't bother challenging it.

Kirstene Hair has to be a candidate for the worst MP of all time. In this case I genuinely believe that she isn't lying deliberately - although she never does the decent thing and retracts her comments when the myriad of factual inaccuracies are pointed out - she just genuinely doesn’t understand how basic aspects of governance like taxation work, or the most simple principles of devolution such as the difference between devolved and reserved powers.

Not sure if being too thick to understand basic aspects of politics is a better look for an elected member of Parliament than understanding it but lying about it right enough.

Boris Johnson won’t be apologising for insulting Muslims in his article. Classic BoJo!

Haha! What’s he like? We could do with a man like him as PM, rather than the anti-Semite Corbyn.

Sky accusing Johnson of “alleged Islamophobia”.  No use of the word alleged when discussing Corbyn, though Sky manages to mention the Corbyn issue in their report on Johnson.

Fucking disgusting bias.

Edited by Granny Danger

13 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Labour are antisemitic so we should be Islamophobic is some next level thinking from Boris Johnson. Those comments should be enough to ensure he never plays a major role in politics again, sadly it probably won't be.

Would you prefer him or Corbyn as next PM?

He is clearly auditioning for a Tory leadership contest. He could probably win based solely on the votes of Telegraph reading racists if he gets through to the final members run off.

The Tory establishment were genuinely terrified that their members would make Andrea Leadsom Prime Minister. They obviously know that they are a party of crackpots.

As much as I dislike Boris and think he's a fucking idiot, I cant say I disagree with his comments about Muslim women being forced to wear clothing to protect their modesty when the men do not.

Unless, of course, it's the women's choice to dress like  a Ninja. Personally I don't believe that all of them do and think that anyone should have the right to mock their religion and it's stupid interpretations.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

As much as I dislike Boris and think he's a fucking idiot, I cant say I disagree with his comments about Muslim women being forced to wear clothing to protect their modesty when the men do not.

Unless, of course, it's the women's choice to dress like  a Ninja. Personally I don't believe that all of them do and think that anyone should have the right to mock their religion and it's stupid interpretations.

Being critical of Islam or any other religion is OK as is the criticism of any religions’ subjection of women.

The issue here is the intended effect of his remarks.

If you cannot see the issue at play here maybe you should try harder.

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I've often wondered why there are so many degrees involved in muslim women covering themselves up.  Do those who go the full hog, covering  everything but their eyes, do so because they are very ugly?

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I've often wondered why there are so many degrees involved in muslim women covering themselves up.  Do those who go the full hog, covering  everything but their eyes, do so because they are very ugly?

There is a lass who gets on my bus home occasionally and she has absolutely stunning eyes. That is all you can see of her though. 

So I'd agree that it's ridiculous. Or maybe I'm making a bid for the leader of the Tory party.

Just now, Suspect Device said:

There is a lass who gets on my bus home occasionally and she has absolutely stunning eyes. That is all you can see of her though. 

So I'd agree that it's ridiculous. Or maybe I'm making a bid for the leader of the Tory party.

I would vote for you ahead of Boris, SD.

Boris' dislike of the burka is probably genuine. Not because he gives a damn about the rights of Muslim women, but because he dreams of a world where women of all creeds and colours are free to strut around in bikinis for his pleasure.

There are varying degrees of modesty expected in various western cultures too. It’s just the bar for looking like a slapper is generally set a good deal higher than not wearing a headscarf.

Except in parts of Utah

Do Jews vote Tory and Muslims vote Labour?

http://www.brin.ac.uk/2017/religious-affiliation-and-party-choice-at-the-2017-general-election/

Muslims voted overwhelmingly for Labour, with 85% having preferred for Jeremy Corbyn’s party, and 11% supported the Conservatives.

Edited by Suspect Device

Do Jews vote Tory and Muslims vote Labour?
http://www.brin.ac.uk/2017/religious-affiliation-and-party-choice-at-the-2017-general-election/

Muslims voted overwhelmingly for Labour, with 85% having preferred for Jeremy Corbyn’s party, and 11% supported the Conservatives.

Apparently so but ...

Jews tend to live in more prosperous constituencies than Muslims so it’s important to distinguish between correlation and causality