General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

55 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Corbyns statement on this is one of the worst I’ve ever read from a senior political figure. It’s laughable.

This?

In a statement, a spokesman for Mr Corbyn said: "In 2012, Jeremy was responding to concerns about the removal of public art on grounds of freedom of speech.

"However, the mural was offensive, used anti-Semitic imagery, which has no place in our society, and it is right that it was removed."

But hours later, Mr Corbyn released another statement, which read: "In 2012 I made a general comment about the removal of public art on grounds of freedom of speech. My comment referred to the destruction of the mural Man at the Crossroads by Diego Rivera on the Rockefeller Center.

"That is in no way comparable with the mural in the original post. I sincerely regret that I did not look more closely at the image I was commenting on, the contents of which are deeply disturbing and anti-Semitic.

"I wholeheartedly support its removal.

"I am opposed to the production of anti-Semitic material of any kind, and the defence of free speech cannot be used as a justification for the promotion of anti-Semitism in any form. That is a view I've always held."

Anyone who has any ambition of doing anything in the next 50 years should delete all posts. Any offhand quips should be specifically targeted.

16 hours ago, jupe1407 said:
17 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Pretty indefensible stuff tbh. Anti-Semitism is such a weirdly discussed issue in Britain with this Count Dankula stuff being an example of that. 

Does he not even have a verified Twitter account?

He does now but this was 6 years ago before he hit the big time. 

17 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Pretty indefensible stuff tbh. Anti-Semitism is such a weirdly discussed issue in Britain with this Count Dankula stuff being an example of that. 

Apparently there were Anti semitic tropes in the mural but I'd like someone to point them out ot me because I'm obviously too thick to know what they are.

Edit: Just read that the bankers supposedly look jewish. Hmmmmm?

Edited by Suspect Device

41 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Apparently there were Anti semitic tropes in the mural but I'd like someone to point them out ot me because I'm obviously too thick to know what they are.

Edit: Just read that the bankers supposedly look jewish. Hmmmmm?

The continual hyping of every perceived slur as “anti-Semitic” and “Islamaphobic” makes it more difficult to tackle genuine anti-Semitism and Islamaphobia.