General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Praying Diane Abbott sees that and boots him up and down the office. No defence for that rhetoric whatsoever.

I have no idea what he's thinking with this. Exactly the wrong message, at the wrong time, in the wrong place. I'm a pragmatist generally but there are certain lines that we should never cross as a party, and anti-immigration rhetoric is one of them. Brown, Miliband and now Corbyn have fallen into this trap and I can't figure out why because I struggle to believe any of them, in their heart of hearts, actually believe that type of stuff. And why in Scotland? One of the least brexity parts of the U.K. and somewhere that hardly seems to be a hotbed of anti-immigration feeling.

It seems to be one of the few reactionary socially conservative thing that Labour leaders jump on to and it's quite depressing.

IMG_0137.jpg

I have no idea what he's thinking with this. Exactly the wrong message, at the wrong time, in the wrong place. I'm a pragmatist generally but there are certain lines that we should never cross as a party, and anti-immigration rhetoric is one of them. Brown, Miliband and now Corbyn have fallen into this trap and I can't figure out why because I struggle to believe any of them, in their heart of hearts, actually believe that type of stuff. And why in Scotland? One of the least brexity parts of the U.K. and somewhere that hardly seems to be a hotbed of anti-immigration feeling.

It seems to be one of the few reactionary socially conservative thing that Labour leaders jump on to and it's quite depressing.

IMG_0137.thumb.jpg.1aa6ce8977b490c056ec64e50f185897.jpg

The generous readings people are trying to give it doesn’t excuse it whatsoever. It’s bad, unnecessary and is a large red flag for me.

I’m in Westminster every so often and honestly all anyone talks about in the bars etc. is immigration. It is THE hot political topic for English/Welsh MP’s. There’s obviously societal issues that make it a bigger debate in England than it is up here but the level of obession with it in England is staggering, it permeates every section of society. It’s completely depressing. 

Anyone who thinks Corbyn doesn’t really believe the factually incorrect nonsense he spouts (he has done it many times previously) on the negative effect immigration has on the UK, is completely deluded. It’s the world he lives in, its what he’s surrounded by- it is completely what he believes.

Corbyn will never ‘get’ Scotland. He’s never been in a position before now that he’s had to care about us all that much and he lives in a completely different political world. People in Scotland who are attracted to voting for Corbyn are so inclined, I believe, on some falsely romantic notion of what they think he stands for. In reality he’s a lying, cowardly Brexiter who struggles to care about many outside of his Islington coffee houses. His terrible conference speech was the last straw for me, in terms of having any respect for the man. I’ve consigned him to my political waste bin along with a lot of his ‘Union at all costs’ chums.

Edited by Londonwell

I am glad that the SNP has held its position on immigration and not gone down the populist route.

I honestly believe one thing that has made that possible is the voting system for the Scottish Parliament.

The FPTP system for Westminster is so technically corrupt there can be huge electoral consequences for taking a moral stand if it is seen as unpopular and costs a couple of percent in the popular vote.

IMG_0137.thumb.jpg.1aa6ce8977b490c056ec64e50f185897.jpg

Should there be any controls on immigration?

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Any controls on immigration inevitably means detention and other abhorrent practices that we’re happy to subject brown people to while pretending it doesn’t happen.

Strange how an unfettered free market, the capitalist nirvana, doesn't include labour. Open the borders and they'll go to where the jobs are. 

6 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
11 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:
I wouldn't go that far, but he's certainly as big a mountebank as Blair. He certainly had me fooled.

Most of the other c***s are fairly open about their cuntiness. Corbyn is nothing more than a beardy snake oil salesman.

I’m inclined to think it’s idiocy and gullibility that guides Corbyn. Unsuccessful attempts have been made to market him as an intellectual, but his history indicates otherwise. Essentially, he’s an old manchild who has found himself able to spout off on his pet policies on a big platform. For the things he doesn’t know shit about (which appears to be most of them, including Scotland) he’ll just do what he’s told until he can get back to his comfort zone and yell at clouds.