General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Whit.

Thanks to your votes, Scotland to Britain is not the same as Belgium to Netherlands or Britain to Republic of Ireland.

What a bizarre argument.

My votes? I have stated many times on here that I support real independence - outside the EU with our own currency. You also need to learn about the split of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands in the early 19th Century. Have you heard of the Benelux Union? The analogy is appropriate.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

I'm getting that you are a Britnat troll.  I asked what happened to the £16.9 billion reported as missing from Scotland's GDP which you claim has now been ammended, you didn't reply, and I asked you to account for these improvements which you claim have been made, can you do that?

1. I'm not a BritNat

2. I voted Yes

3. There was not £16.9 billion missing from Scotland's GDP. Also, notice this is a completely different claim, but equally wrong claim, as saying that £16.9 billion was missing from our fiscal position.

4. I said that there were some historic aspects of GERS' methodology that understated certain revenue streams. Those problems have been remedied since those criticisms were made.

5. The fact that the SNP do not dispute the accuracy of the changes should probably tell you something.

And Westminster did steal 6000 square miles of sea from Scotland and GDP in this area is not coutned in GERS, as I'm sure you know, but being intellectually dishonest you dismiss this.  You're a lying troll.

Nope, you're literally just making this up.

Quick alternative GERS -  if we ditch the blood thirsty tactics of Westminister and accept Scotland is only a normal medium sized country.   Ireland for example, and scale down defence spending.

10-11 

9.2% income v  8.9% expenditure 

Scotland deficit £9 billion 
UK deficit £ 134 billion  

11-12  

9.6% income v 8.9% expenditure 

Scotland deficit £6.9 billion 
UK deficit £116 billion 

12-13  

8.9% income v 8.9% expenditure 

Scotland deficit £ 11.6 billion 
UK deficit £ 122 billion 

13 - 14 

Scotland income 8.6 % v 8.9% expenditure 

Scotland deficit £ 11.9 billion 
UK Deficit £ 103 billion 

14-15 

Scotland income 8.2% v 8.9% expenditure 

Scotland deficit £ 12.2 billion 
UK deficit £ 92 billion 

Plenty of other saving we could make when independent which is why GERS shows how Scotland is doing in the UK; not if Scotland became a country.  

Edited by Glenn Medeiros

How? By your logic, English MPs should be allowed to interfere on Scottish laws that affect English workers' pay. That would mean goodbye to devolution and independence! You and the SNP MPs in Westminster are the BritNats' useful idiots.

According to the BBC website:

The proposed changes were not covered by new English Votes for English Laws provisions, which require the explicit consent of English and Welsh MPs for measures exclusively affecting them, because other parts of the Enterprise Bill apply to Scotland.

The proposed changes were not covered by new English Votes for English Laws provisions, which require the explicit consent of English and Welsh MPs for measures exclusively affecting them, because other parts of the Enterprise Bill apply to Scotland.

But, as reported by the BBC, Hosie still said that the SNP would vote against liberalising Sunday trading in England. 

Bills have multiple votes. The SNP voted on an amendment relating to Sunday Trading, the substance of which was a matter which did not change the laws of Scotland.

No one objects to the SNP voting on other parts of the bill that do change the law as it relates to Scotland, or on the bill as a whole, for the same reason. They are being accused of a very specific hypocrisy of voting to prevent England from adopting the same law as Scotland already has, while they would be up in arms if English MPs proposed to vote on measures to change the laws in relation to Sunday trading in Scotland.

ETA: It would be like SNP MPs voting against England removing the parental consent provision of English Marriage law for 16 and 17 year olds on the grounds it would have a detrimental effect on the Gretna wedding industry.

Edited by Ad Lib

Bills have multiple votes. The SNP voted on an amendment relating to Sunday Trading, the substance of which was a matter which did not change the laws of Scotland.

No one objects to the SNP voting on other parts of the bill that do change the law as it relates to Scotland, or on the bill as a whole, for the same reason. They are being accused of a very specific hypocrisy of voting to prevent England from adopting the same law as Scotland already has, while they would be up in arms if English MPs proposed to vote on measures to change the laws in relation to Sunday trading in Scotland.

ETA: It would be like SNP MPs voting against England removing the parental consent provision of English Marriage law for 16 and 17 year olds on the grounds it would have a detrimental effect on the Gretna wedding industry.

they should a system in place to stop that.

ETA your example only works if the Sunday trading only affected shops in Gretna,

Edited by invergowrie arab

But this can't be, we are one United Kingdom: one nation that is better together and has not succumbed to divisive nationalism. What we are obviously not is a combination of resentful nations with lopsided devolution deals and skewed population/representation densities. Because that just wouldn't work.

But, as reported by the BBC, Hosie still said that the SNP would vote against liberalising Sunday trading in England. 

Dinnae shoot me I'm just the messenger.

they should a system in place to stop that.

ETA your example only works if the Sunday trading only affected shops in Gretna,

Come on, the SNP can't complain on the one hand that EVEL makes them second class MPs but on the other that English Vetoes for English laws doesn't actually stop any Scottish MPs from voting on English-only legislation!

No, my example works regardless. I could as easily have said "Scotland's wedding industry".

If Scotland had returned 50-odd Labour MPs and they voted as the majority of the UK's Labour MPs did, would the regionalists even notice?

No, because they don't complain about Westminster making laws for Scotland.

My votes? I have stated many times on here that I support real independence - outside the EU with our own currency. You also need to learn about the split of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands in the early 19th Century. Have you heard of the Benelux Union? The analogy is appropriate.

Yes, I obviously have heard of the Benelux Union. I'm not Kev.

Don't think I really need to learn more about it for this thread because when you and Ad Lib were comparing SNP MP's voting in Westminster to MPs voting in other sovereign states you weren't referring to 19th Century Netherlands, you were just talking absolute pish.

If Scotland had returned 50-odd Labour MPs and they voted as the majority of the UK's Labour MPs did, would the regionalists even notice?

Probably depends on whether those Labour MPs had ever tried to claim that they wouldn't vote on matters that didn't effect Scotland.

Personally, I don't give a shit how the SNP voted on Sunday opening hours. But I can see why they're being accused of hypocrisy for doing so.

No, because they don't complain about Westminster making laws for Scotland.

Perhaps you missed them campaigning for devolution; engaging in the Smith Commission; claiming that Holyrood should be a permanent part of the constitution ... Why would they do this if they had no complaints about Westminster making laws for Scotland?

Glad to see you admitting that regionalists are only too happy to complain about Scotland's elected representatives having a say in UK-wide votes if they don't like the party those representatives belong to. What a craven, anti-democratic, vile bunch.