General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

I recently found out that the speaker is allowed to have an alcoholic drink in the chamber during the budget, and they usually do. I’m very disappointed that they haven’t gone for a holiday style pina colada with umbrellas and sparklers and served in a pineapple.

The fact that every single one has approached this kind of bollocks from the perspective of “oh, I say - what’s a jolly eccentric tradition - let’s keep it” and not one has said, “This is embarrassing, archaic madness - time to end it” tells us a lot about the UK establishment. 

11 hours ago, Antlion said:

The fact that every single one has approached this kind of bollocks from the perspective of “oh, I say - what’s a jolly eccentric tradition - let’s keep it” and not one has said, “This is embarrassing, archaic madness - time to end it” tells us a lot about the UK establishment. 

It’s absolutely astounding,  I would absolutely love to know when anyone last proposed, let alone got anywhere near making the system better.  Absolutely mental we have a majority of MPs who think the weirdo behavior of jeering or whatever the call that shit they use as approval is good to go but normal behavior like clapping is unacceptable, complete madness.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

It’s absolutely astounding,  I would absolutely love to know when anyone last proposed, let alone got anywhere near making the system better.  Absolutely mental we have a majority of MPs who think the weirdo behavior of jeering or whatever the call that shit they use as approval is good to go but normal behavior like clapping is unacceptable, complete madness.

Its quintessentially English...... and we're not.

• 2 weeks later...

ITV threatening to cut news services unless they’re offered more protection from streaming services.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/dec/06/itv-could-drop-news-pledge-unless-ministers-offer-help-against-streamers

I’m sure the Tory government would just hate that.  :rolleyes:

Matt Hancock obviously has a very high opinion of himself, I doubt if it is shared by anyone else.

He will disappear into obscurity and become the esoteric answer to a pub quiz question.  “Which former ‘Jungle Celebrity’ contributed to the high level of COVID deaths whilst serving in the Cabinet?”

A Tory MP and a Labour MP have been suspended in separate incidents by their respective parties in the last 24 hours.

Whilst the details of neither case is known it nonetheless suggests there’s a real problem with the behaviour of Westminster politicians.  Given that there are only 650 MPs, less the Sinn Fein ones who don’t attend, there seems to be a disproportionately high number of incidents that are grounds for suspension albeit some will be temporary.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-sex-tourism-appg-foreign-trips-b2246542.html

MPs accused of using parliamentary trips abroad for sex tourism

Parliamentarians ‘asked for directions to brothels and pursued local women’ according to colleagues

28 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Well there was no creepy misogyny, racism and didn't contain "well I don't know much about this, but....".

Definitely not you either then 

Isn’t it usually, “well I don’t know much about this, but…” followed by a later post with, “well, having had long experience of this from…”

Brother of top Mexican drug lord 'El Mencho' arrested in Jalisco State

Antonio Oseguera Cervantes, brother of cartel boss ‘El Mencho’, is third member of family to be arrested by Mexican authorities.

The brother of one of Mexico’s top drug lords has been arrested, the Mexican military said, marking another high-profile capture amid a wave of violence that has overwhelmed the country.

Antonio Oseguera Cervantes, brother of the Jalisco New Generation cartel boss known as “El Mencho”, was arrested on Tuesday in the state of Jalisco by the Mexican army working with the national guard, the attorney general’s office and the national intelligence agency.

His brother, Nemesio, is one of the most wanted men in Mexico: the US government has offered a $10m reward for any information that could lead to his capture, one of the largest such rewards offered by the US state department’s narcotics rewards program.

According to the military, Oseguera was involved in money laundering, purchasing large quantities of weapons and coordinating violent attacks against rival groups, as well as international drug trafficking.

The arrest “represents a forceful blow to one of the criminal organizations in the country, since he is considered within its structure as one of the alleged main logistical and financial operators and generators of violence”, the Mexican military said in a statement.

In line with Mexican laws, the military identified him only as Antonio “N”; however, it has been widely reported in the local press that the man arrested is El Mencho’s brother. A document apparently from Mexico’s security ministry shared on social media showed that a man named Antonio Oseguera Cervantes had been arrested on Tuesday.

Oseguera is the third person in El Mencho’s family to have been detained by Mexican authorities: his wife was arrested in November last year, while his son, Ruben, was extradited to the US in 2020.

The arrest comes just days after the Mexican military announced that it had deployed some 2,000 troops to Jalisco state after one of its colonels, José Isidro Grimaldo Muñoz, had gone missing while vacationing in the area.

One of the most powerful and well-armed groups in Mexico, the Jalisco cartel is known for its fearsome displays of force, often posting videos with armored cars and heavily armed men on social media.

Still, though symbolically significant, Oseguera’s detention is unlikely to cause a major impact on the organization, said Mexico City security analyst Alejandro Hope.

“Is it going to dismantle the Jalisco cartel? I doubt it,” Hope said. “After so many captures of so many capos, we should be pretty skeptical about its effect.”

Meanwhile, the arrest could spark further violence: previous attempts to detain the cartel’s leaders have sparked waves of violence, with vehicles and stores set ablaze in the surrounding areas.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some attempt to sabotage the arrest,” Hope said.

• 2 weeks later...