General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

36 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

From 2010 until now, MPs wages have increased by £18,500. This is unacceptable, considering it was during austerity. They should rise by 5% maximum each year.

Not to mention they get a heavily subsidised bar in Westminster 

Edit: The price list

7E31A2E6-AAA1-4BAE-A910-49EA42B1BA24.jpeg

Edited by Clown Job

On 20/09/2022 at 15:12, HTG said:

Nadine Dorries isn't the only one. Andrea Jenkins and Education Minister Jonathan Gullis have binned their accounts. Probably to try and conceal the fact that they're absolute rockets. 

Screenshot_20220920-150448_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220920-150558_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220920-151035_Samsung Internet.jpg

That bearded p***k being reduced to gibbering about veterans by Mick Lynch was terrific viewing 😂

26 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Subsidy removed immediately. Same goes for the restaurants.

They’re likely putting everything in there on expenses so it’d be kind of a wash anyway, I’d imagine. 

Edited by carpetmonster
Fat fingers

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

They’re likely putting everything in there on expenses so it’d be kind of a wash anyway, I’d imagine. 

Probably. If they are putting bath plugs on expenses, think that tells you all you need to know.

Job and living expenses should come out of your wage, just like normal folks. Hence bringing in tight restrictions on MP expenses.

7 hours ago, Father Ted said:

From 2010 until now, MPs wages have increased by £18,500. This is unacceptable, considering it was during austerity. They should rise by 5% maximum each year.

This is an absolute mental take.  MPs salaries in 2010 - 65,738.  MPs salaries in 2022 - 84,114. 

Under Father Ted MPs salary in 2022 - 118,056 or £34k more than they currently earn.

For information, MPS have had 11 years of < 5% increases in the 12 year period.

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

This is an absolute mental take.  MPs salaries in 2010 - 65,738.  MPs salaries in 2022 - 84,114. 

Under Father Ted MPs salary in 2022 - 118,056 or £34k more than they currently earn.

For information, MPS have had 11 years of < 5% increases in the 12 year period.

What are you wittering on about?

Are you contesting that they have risen by 18.5k in this period because they have, its a fact.

Meanwhile benefits, private and public sector pay hasn't risen at the same rate.

F**k knows what your middle paragraph is all about.

7 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

What are you wittering on about?

Are you contesting that they have risen by 18.5k in this period because they have, its a fact.

Meanwhile benefits, private and public sector pay hasn't risen at the same rate.

F**k knows what your middle paragraph is all about.

How I can I make this any simpler?  Under your plan to cap pay rises for MPs to 5% each year an MP would now be earing £118,056.  This would have been a £52k rise over the period rather than the £18,500 that you are railing against.  🙄

Edited by strichener

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

How I can I make this any simpler?  Under your plan to cap pay rises for MPs to 5% each year an MP would now be earing £118,056.  This would have been a £52k rise over the period rather than the £18,500 that you are railing against.  🙄

I did say maximum, it doesn't have to be that every year, and I mean going forward not in that 12 year period.

6 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I did say maximum, it doesn't have to be that every year, and I mean going forward not in that 12 year period.

The affect is still the same.  You call out rises of £18.5k over 12 years as unacceptable and solve this with a limit that could see an £18.5k increase in a third of the time on current salary.

Edited by strichener

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

The affect is still the same.  You call out rises of £18.5k over 12 years as unacceptable and solve this with a limit that could see an £18.5k increase in a third of the time on current salary.

Yes these are the 12 years that include 10 years of austerity, where most people got nothing.

Maximum means it could be between 0-5%.

At no time did I say they should be getting 5% every year from 2010-2022.

I've not got time for your pettiness, I bid you a goodnight sir.

8 hours ago, Father Ted said:

The Royal family and hangers on should be disbanded or privatised, failing that cut back to the bare minimum.

If we're doing things that will never happen through democracy, they could hand back their land, property, and business interests too. They could keep what's left of their cash after a good patriotic windfall tax.

I’ve always found the discussion on MPs salaries to be driven by emotion rather than logic.  I do not think they are overpaid for the job they do, if anything they’re probably underpaid in relation to the importance of the job.

I am far more in favour of them not being allowed to take second jobs nor being payed by lobbying firms (directly or indirectly).  I also think there should be far more oversight, greater transparency into what they are doing, far greater penalties for them doing anything wrong, streamlined working practices (which would mean them not having evening sittings* and remove the excuse for them having subsidised bars in their place of work**).

I could go on.

* like many things Westminster an anachronism from the time that MPs officially did it as a ‘second job’.

** what other ‘workplace’ encourages the consumption of alcohol through subsidised bars?  A complete fucking joke.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve always found the discussion on MPs salaries to be driven by emotion rather than logic.  I do not think they are overpaid for the job they do, if anything they’re probably underpaid in relation to the importance of the job.

I am far more in favour of them not being allowed to take second jobs nor being payed by lobbying firms (directly or indirectly).

Agree completely. Problem is that we have a society where the media and politicians alike have convinced a large portion of the lower earners in society that anyone earning even a half decent income (used to be £30k, now its probably a bit more like £50k) is the spawn of satan and should be taxed as high as possible meanwhile those very peddlers of that propaganda fall into the highly income bracket (well over £100k+) and can find schemes to reduce or avoid taxation and living costs by playing the game.

Reality is that although circa £85k is a lot to many in society, to carry the responsibility (and burden) or making critical decisions on the laws and constitutions which affect the lives of every member of not only their constituency but the country probably deserves more, however I think it can be agued that the majority or MP's as people based on their work ethic, contempt for people and lack of values make a strong case for otherwise. 

Edited by bdu98196

The answer to anything related to inflated MP salaries is always, "how will we attract talent?"
If you laugh at the idea that the vast majority of MPs have "talent", the answer is, "yes, and that's why we need to offer higher salaries - this is the best we could get!"

Back to "things that will never happen", I'd quite like to see them barred from taking jobs in industries they've been involved in privatising/helping avoid paying tax/changing laws to increase profits at the expense of workers and taxpayers/etc.
"but they'd wouldn't want to become MPs in the first place!" - yes, that's rather the point.

I am far more in favour of them not being allowed to take second jobs nor being payed by lobbying firms (directly or indirectly).  I also think there should be far more oversight, greater transparency into what they are doing, far greater penalties for them doing anything wrong, streamlined working practices (which would mean them not having evening sittings* and remove the excuse for them having subsidised bars in their place of work**).
I could go on.
* like many things Westminster an anachronism from the time that MPs officially did it as a ‘second job’.
** what other ‘workplace’ encourages the consumption of alcohol through subsidised bars?  A complete fucking joke.

I agree with this. MP’s salaries and expenses are now so ingrained in the public mind that people comment all the time, without any sense of realising how little it would achieve, about cutting their salaries and giving it to public services, such as the NHS to cut waiting times. I’m sure a few hundred thousand would go a long way right enough.

Not to say many things can’t be true, of course. I think their base salaries are arguably too low given the importance of the job. The salary top-ups for pointless junior ministers and hangers-on are arguably too high (and there’s far too many of them). Expenses of £200k seem outlandish but often - certainly not always - that’s employing a few members of staff and hiring an office, which are completely necessary expenses. And clearly getting large pay increases while voting for pay freezes for the public sector is absolutely fucking outrageous.

Second (and third, and fourth) jobs are a genuine scandal and there’ll come a time where people find it completely insane that the Energy Secretary is allowed to have tens of millions of personal wealth invested in the energy market. Unfortunately that time isn’t now.

12 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Yes these are the 12 years that include 10 years of austerity, where most people got nothing.

Maximum means it could be between 0-5%.

At no time did I say they should be getting 5% every year from 2010-2022.

I've not got time for your pettiness, I bid you a goodnight sir.

That's what happens when you mix absolutes and percentages.

With your understanding of arithmetic, you should put yourself forward for the Chancellor's job.

17 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I could go on.

In the good old days in oil & gas we regularly got the booze free along with pizzas at monthly meetings. 

Then there were the nights out with a free bar.

That stopped around 2014. 

17 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Agree completely. Problem is that we have a society where the media and politicians alike have convinced a large portion of the lower earners in society that anyone earning even a half decent income (used to be £30k, now its probably a bit more like £50k) is the spawn of satan and should be taxed as high as possible meanwhile those very peddlers of that propaganda fall into the highly income bracket (well over £100k+) and can find schemes to reduce or avoid taxation and living costs by playing the game.

Reality is that although circa £85k is a lot to many in society, to carry the responsibility (and burden) or making critical decisions on the laws and constitutions which affect the lives of every member of not only their constituency but the country probably deserves more, however I think it can be agued that the majority or MP's as people based on their work ethic, contempt for people and lack of values make a strong case for otherwise. 

There's a couple of issues here though, first off it's a voluntary position where you are elected as opposed to having to have any sort of qualifications / experience etc and as Granny says, for many it's just seen as a second part time style role where they can get their foot in the door to further their own personal situation either immediately or at a later date.

Next, I'd say that our political system with the strict party lines and Government Whips mean that very often these "elected representatives" in fact vote against what benefits their own constituents if it is in any way against the wishes of the party, which of course is completely wrong.

The other point I'd mention is that although they have the £84k base salary and an excellent expenses package, they ALSO have all the add ons for serving on various committees, acting as a party whip etc, etc plus of course all the brown envelopes from various pressure groups / think tanks/ lobbyists etc.

So all in all it seems a pretty lucrative gig for anyone........