General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This really annoyed the shit out of me. 

I didn't know what an "Oxford comma" was so registered with the independent so i could find out. Their incredibly buggy website kept scrolling back to the top and playing videos and by the time i got to the bottom of the article there was still no useful definition. There was a definition but it was shit. 

Anyway, i suspect that this woman has made the same mistake i did when i first heard of Liz Truss and has got her confused with Lynne Truss, who would absolutely be impressed by this insistence on grammatical propriety, and is misguidedly sucking up to the boss. 

It's the final comma that is sometimes used in a list.

For example "oranges, lemons, and limes". The Oxford comma is the one before 'and'. It's not strictly necessary, and apparently there is a lot of debate within scholarly circles about whether it should be used or not.

38 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

For example "oranges, lemons, and limes". The Oxford comma is the one before 'and'. It's not strictly necessary and apparently there is a lot of debate within scholarly circles about whether it should be used or not.

FTFY 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

This really annoyed the shit out of me. 

I didn't know what an "Oxford comma" was so registered with the independent so i could find out. Their incredibly buggy website kept scrolling back to the top and playing videos and by the time i got to the bottom of the article there was still no useful definition. There was a definition but it was shit. 

Anyway, i suspect that this woman has made the same mistake i did when i first heard of Liz Truss and has got her confused with Lynne Truss, who would absolutely be impressed by this insistence on grammatical propriety, and is misguidedly sucking up to the boss. 

I did include an Oxford comma in my post. A list of stuff with the comma before the and.

I never knew what the f**k it was until I heard that song and looked it up.

55 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

For example "oranges, lemons, and limes". The Oxford comma is the one before 'and'. It's not strictly necessary, and apparently there is a lot of debate within scholarly circles about whether it should be used or not.

The Independent said that it's the final comma in a list. That only makes sense if the list has one in it. "Oranges, lemons, limes and kumquats" has a final comma but it's not the "Oxford comma." 

Is an accurate and complete definition too much to ask for? I'll continue to get my news from the Star if this is the quality of the so-called broadsheets. 

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

The Independent said that it's the final comma in a list. That only makes sense if the list has one in it. "Oranges, lemons, limes and kumquats" has a final comma but it's not the "Oxford comma." 

Is an accurate and complete definition too much to ask for? I'll continue to get my news from the Star if this is the quality of the so-called broadsheets. 

The Oxford comma can serve a purpose in avoiding confusion. The (made-up) example most commonly seen is a book dedication to: My parents, God and Ayn Rand

26 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

The Oxford comma can serve a purpose in avoiding confusion. The (made-up) example most commonly seen is a book dedication to: My parents, God and Ayn Rand

Easily solved by not putting your parents before God.

One for the kids, "I love my parents, Lady Gaga and Humpty Dumpty."

I use it sometimes just to give emphasis to the last in the list, the extra comma is like a little drumroll.

Edited by welshbairn

I don't think I can bring myself to watch a video by something called "Vampire Weekend". Sounds like something a cable channel would've run in 2008 in the hope of attracting tween girls.

I see Nadine Dorries has deleted her Twitter account. Things like this really wind me up. No member or past member of the Govt should be allowed to unilaterally delete anything that they say in their capacity as a member of the Govt. Anything that they say or write as a member of the Govt should be a matter of public record and kept for all to read and review. Dorries was more than happy to act as Billy Big Baws and proclaim on her Twitter profile that she was a UK Govt Minister for whatever, but didn’t like the scrutiny that then came with it.

In this digital age there is too much rewriting of the past or removal of uncomfortable facts by politicians deleting digital records be it Twitter, WhatsApp, text messages, etc.

4 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I see Nadine Dorries has deleted her Twitter account. Things like this really wind me up. No member or past member of the Govt should be allowed to unilaterally delete anything that they say in their capacity as a member of the Govt. Anything that they say or write as a member of the Govt should be a matter of public record and kept for all to read and review. Dorries was more than happy to act as Billy Big Baws and proclaim on her Twitter profile that she was a UK Govt Minister for whatever, but didn’t like the scrutiny that then came with it.

In this digital age there is too much rewriting of the past or removal of uncomfortable facts by politicians deleting digital records be it Twitter, WhatsApp, text messages, etc.

Don’t worry I’ve got a copy of all her tweets, if you want anything in particular just let me know.

I’ve got a file marked “what a complete mental cuntress” for the more rational ones then it goes downhill from there.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the rolling out of the old chestnut of rising the retirement age is being mentioned again.

I think the time has come to do a detailed thorough audit of the state apparatus and make deep cuts.

The list is not exhaustive and open to suggestions:

Scrap the house of Lords

No second homes, sell them off and replace with budget hotels and office space.

MPs expenses to be cut right back to bare minimum and audited thoroughly 

All private companies involved in NHS, government services, trains, etc to be replaced with value for money contracts or revert to state.

From 2010 until now, MPs wages have increased by £18,500. This is unacceptable, considering it was during austerity. They should rise by 5% maximum each year.

The Royal family and hangers on should be disbanded or privatised, failing that cut back to the bare minimum.

The abuse of taxpayers cash is monumental by MPs, etc. Its time they joined the real world and take a hit like the rest of us.