General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching the first episode of BBC2's Afghanistan: Getting Out. It's gone back to 9/11 and David Cameron is saying he backed Tony Blair invading and overthrowing the Taliban, but the thing it lacked was setting up a functional post invasion government. One word Dave, Libya..

Edited by welshbairn

Tynie going through locking all the recent threads in the politics forum!  Posters accusing others of trolling, abuse left, right and centre. 
Shows the oft mentioned tolerance in Scotland applies to skin colour but not political beliefs.
There are certain individuals who are definitely creating sock puppet accounts - but the best response to them is to put them on ignore.

There have always been trolls on this forum but not to the extent of the past 12-18 months.  I believe their* agenda is to disrupt reasonable discourse and sadly that happens to a degree.  I don’t think for one moment that they actually believe what they post.

The “I know your a troll but I’m going to respond to you anyway” approach really has me scratching my head; maybe it’s an age thing with me or my lack of understanding of social media but it strikes me as totally illogical.

* I say “their” for all I know it’s one troll with multiple aliases.  It would not surprise me.

There's one guy who has posted about 300 badly drawn or photoshopped memes about Nicola Sturgeon whilst never posting anything anywhere else. The last bit applies to all the trolls and aliases. Steve the conspiracy enthusiast was the exception, posted regularly in the Arabs threads and shouldn't have been banned imo.

Edited by welshbairn

On 25/08/2022 at 19:15, welshbairn said:

There's one guy who has posted about 300 badly drawn or photoshopped memes about Nicola Sturgeon whilst never posting anything anywhere else. The last bit applies to all the trolls and aliases. Steve the conspiracy enthusiast was the exception, posted regularly in the Arabs threads and shouldn't have been banned imo.

I remember thinking that randomly scattering his Twitter feed around the forum might not be the smartest of ideas. On the Conspiracy thread, sure, but it seemed like he was just spamming whatever was posted by the accounts he worshipped without even a cursory Google. Could be wrong; maybe he used the 'b' word (the bad one).

Also, SpongePhil SquareYerBoots has to be a Nationalist sock, surely? Why would any Unionist do that? It's like shitting in public to trigger the Libs.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I see the friendly people at the Scottish family party are equating Abortion to the Holocaust and even created a meme in which the FM wants an exclusion zone around Auschwitz. Vile.

They really are a vile bunch.

f**k knows what keeps them funded

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

They really are a vile bunch.

f**k knows what keeps them funded

No idea but they do seem to have some cash floating about, I wonder if some of the extreme right wingers down south keep them going, I can't imagine there are many right wing Christian fundamentalists with deep pockets in Scotland.

27 minutes ago, 101 said:

No idea but they do seem to have some cash floating about, I wonder if some of the extreme right wingers down south keep them going, I can't imagine there are many right wing Christian fundamentalists with deep pockets in Scotland.

Possibly some US money i guess as well, they do have fundamentalists with deep pockets, and we know they have funded anti trans groups and the like.  They also have a thing for sending preachers across, cos the uk isn’t Christian enough and needs saving.

On 29/08/2022 at 20:17, parsforlife said:

Possibly some US money i guess as well, they do have fundamentalists with deep pockets, and we know they have funded anti trans groups and the like.  They also have a thing for sending preachers across, cos the uk isn’t Christian enough and they want access to people's savings.

FTFY.

We must still be a relatively unexplored market for religious scammers. I noticed a while back that Trinity Broadcast Network are on Freeview; I wonder if they proselytize the gospel of seed faith here too.

Future pub quiz question Nadhim Zahawi must be the best Chancellor in my lifetime. OK he never did anything to alleviate the fuel bills crisis but he didn't increase the tax on beer and spirits either 

He did nothing in particular but he did it very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see the new health secretary targeting the important issues affecting the NHS. 

Waiting lists, the obesity crisis, ambulance delays, staffing crisis, and crumbling infrastructure? No.

Therese Coffey under fire after telling staff to stop using Oxford commas | The Independent

Who gives a f**k about an oxford comma?

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Good to see the new health secretary targeting the important issues affecting the NHS. 

Waiting lists, the obesity crisis, ambulance delays, staffing crisis, and crumbling infrastructure? No.

Therese Coffey under fire after telling staff to stop using Oxford commas | The Independent

Pretty sure Mogg did something similar recently.  The c***s ooze contempt.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

This really annoyed the shit out of me. 

I didn't know what an "Oxford comma" was so registered with the independent so i could find out. Their incredibly buggy website kept scrolling back to the top and playing videos and by the time i got to the bottom of the article there was still no useful definition. There was a definition but it was shit. 

Anyway, i suspect that this woman has made the same mistake i did when i first heard of Liz Truss and has got her confused with Lynne Truss, who would absolutely be impressed by this insistence on grammatical propriety, and is misguidedly sucking up to the boss.