General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

20 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

GP’s are private contractors and are self-employed.

That's a fair point, but they are not really "free market" privatised yet because of the rules which prevent the sale of goodwill in a GP practice. That's why there aren't massive groups consolidating GP practices like they are with Dentists, opticians and vets. 

48 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I was on UC at a stage last year and they wanted me to pay back an advanced payment from 9 months prior when I was on UC, so out of my monthly payment they were taking about £50 out to pay back themselves which I found mental, was left with roughly £250 for the month. I'd have happily paid it back straight away when in employment. Also I was on JSA when i was 18 before starting to work and it was night and day, they actually did a lot to help you and find work that would suit your needs, they were actively involved in helping you with your CV or tips and tricks and recommendations whereas during the switch over to UC they binned all of that stuff, they don't try and assist you at all, it's obvious that they're now just administrators that are only knowledgeable on when to sanction you where as before when it was JSA they actually seemed like work coaches. Also they used to pay your bus fare for when you had to travel to the meetings and then since covid instead they say they can do some remote ones but they can't reimburse you everytime you travel in if you blend between remote ones however if you were to travel in every time they would reimburse you every time. Just constant cost cutting. 

Tbf yea, my older brother was in and out of the job centre years ago for JSA, constantly getting little temp contracts and having to restart claims. Said it got to the point the local job centre kinda knew the script and that he was always genuinely looking for work/wouldnt be claiming for long, so they were always quite pleasant to him when he was in.

I was on universal credit for a while after leaving a job (during the pandemic/lockdown) but didnt get much, i got a part time job shortly after which ended up above the threshold for any uc anyway. The advisor i had for a few weeks was great tbf, pretty much literally said "yeah the local job market is terrible right now, if you're looking for work fine, if not then just jump through the hoops and you'll be fine, ill keep you right", she knew fine well the 35hrs of job search activity or whatever it was you had to log was nonsensical as you could look online for an hour and only see maybe a couple of jobs worth applying to in the area.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, you're wrong yet again. There are NHS salaried GPs in nearly every practice but there are indeed many who are self employed.

Splitting hairs there pal.

The majority are partners in practices and therefore self-employed.

Also some locums who are self-employed.

56 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That's a fair point, but they are not really "free market" privatised yet because of the rules which prevent the sale of goodwill in a GP practice. That's why there aren't massive groups consolidating GP practices like they are with Dentists, opticians and vets. 

Yes, that’s correct.

At least you are a reasonable person to debate with.

GP’s, although not employed by the NHS, are almost wholly paid by the NHS, apart from small private earnings but are treated for tax purposes as self- employed.

Hospital consultants are employed by the NHS under PAYE but can also have quite lucrative private practices which are taxed as self-employed.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Splitting hairs there pal.

The majority are partners in practices and therefore self-employed.

Also some locums who are self-employed.

It's not really splitting hairs though. You said as a statement that GPs are private contractors and self employed, which you've now changed to "a majority", so that's better!

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This will play well with their support base who will (wrongly) see this as a sign that he is competent and clever, rather than a greedy social climber who married an heiress. 

Why would she marry him?  She’s got lots of money and he’s a small ugly c**t.

Watching Question Time from last night and these utter gimps and ghouls that support dragging everyone into an office are so horrid. Their reasoning is like that time Toby Young wrote an article about how nobody liked him...

They keep on saying humans are social animals and we need social interaction.... Yes that is true but what they don't realise is most of us have this social interaction outside of work and don't crave it by forcing other people to be in our presence. They're actually leeches. Get some friends and allow the rest of us to be competent and content working from home without having to put up with you mind numbing work patter. 

21 hours ago, coprolite said:

This will play well with their support base who will (wrongly) see this as a sign that he is competent and clever, rather than a greedy social climber who married an heiress

"tax evader", shirley?

Suella Braverman calling Emily Thornberry a Leninist in the HofC today, feck me I thought that I’d fallen through the looking glass, real parallel dimension stuff. What are these people smoking?

1 hour ago, moniton said:

Suella Braverman calling Emily Thornberry a Leninist in the HofC today, feck me I thought that I’d fallen through the looking glass, real parallel dimension stuff. What are these people smoking?

Not quite what happened.

Braverman's comments were spot on considering Thornberry's recent vile tweet.

Emily-Thornberry-tweeted-after-PMQs-3881

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

51 minutes ago, moniton said:

It's just the most awful despicable playground shite.

It's worth seeing and for context:

59 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It most certainly is and I'd hope whatever we achieve afterwards, it will be above that and by quite a considerable measure.

12 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It's worth seeing and for context:

This is someone going off the rails big time.

16 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Not quite what happened.

Braverman's comments were spot on considering Thornberry's recent vile tweet.

Emily-Thornberry-tweeted-after-PMQs-3881

What are you objecting to?

Is it Obama?

Edited by Zern
to, too, two