General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

8 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Still a lie from MM lads.  As it stands, the UK does not have the worst growth like she claims.

I'm off to bed now, but will reveal more of Misinformation Mhairi's web of lies tomorrow.

I'd call it a slight exaggeration  more than a lie. 

https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-of-the-day/2022/02/how-the-uk-is-one-of-the-slowest-growing-economies-in-the-g7

A lie would be Boris saying we have the highest growth.

10 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Support such as sickness, unemployment, disability should indeed be temporary as hopefully these setbacks will pass.

Things like OAP are contributed towards, although not funded by the state,and are received irrespective of the persons circumstances.
Cant see your problem but I think you’re just being awkward.

If the above isn’t cradle to grave insurance I don’t know what is. Are you suggesting that people should be receiving benefits as infinitum?

Cystic fibrosis (to name but one) isn't temporary.

A child born with smooth brain never gets better.

I wonder how many of the posters on this thread have had to survive on unemployment benefit? It wasn't much when I had to rely on it, can't imagine it goes far nowadays.

The last couple of times I wasn't working I claimed Carers Allowance, it's even less than Job Seekers, but easier to claim. Claiming for benefits is far too complicated in my experience.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

Truly the calling card of the low grade troll. 

It’s exactly the same playbook as that Scott Steiner poster used to have.

In any case, the fundamental question here is how you define when someone ‘needs’ support from the state. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I wonder how many of the posters on this thread have had to survive on unemployment benefit? It wasn't much when I had to rely on it, can't imagine it goes far nowadays.

Claiming for benefits is far too complicated in my experience.

I have a couple of times. I remember thinking at the time that anyone who can learn and get round the arcane and behemoth processes well enough to fiddle it deserved it for their efforts and should likely be hired as a high level bureaucracy consultant somewhere rather than being given 60 quid a week. Aside from not having a medical (wasn’t claiming sick) my US immigration paperwork was a piece of piss by comparison.

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I have a couple of times. I remember thinking at the time that anyone who can learn and get round the arcane and behemoth processes well enough to fiddle it deserved it for their efforts and should likely be hired as a high level bureaucracy consultant somewhere rather than being given 60 quid a week. Aside from not having a medical (wasn’t claiming sick) my US immigration paperwork was a piece of piss by comparison.

:thumsup2

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Yeah it's quite a common misconception that it's easy to "fiddle" the system. It's not at all, as anyone who has ever been through a Work Capability Assessment process will know.

But every couple of years there's a tabloid story about a guy who said he had a bad back then got filmed moving a couch or a claimed a gammy leg and played Sunday league. This is cast iron evidence that they are all at it. 

There's nothing the Great British Public hates more than a person who can "game the system".

By "gaming the system", they mean knowing what the government has decided is a bare minimum survival stipend, and daring to claim it.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

But every couple of years there's a tabloid story about a guy who said he had a bad back then got filmed moving a couch or a claimed a gammy leg and played Sunday league. This is cast iron evidence that they are all at it. 

Those always crack me up, usually the comments sections are full of bitter boomers who are convinced these folk are bribing their GPs to get signed off 😂 

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

Those always crack me up, usually the comments sections are full of bitter boomers who are convinced these folk are bribing their GPs to get signed off 😂 

It is quite worrying how many people on good incomes think it's valid for them to say that they'd be as well faking an injury to claim disability benefits, or just quitting work and going on the dole.

Deep down, they clearly know that they're spouting utter shite for a variety of reasons, but apparently publicly envying people on the breadline makes them feel good somehow. It's one of those fantasies that some people really, really want to be true.

12 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Our poorly paid GPs are easily swayed by the tens, sometimes even hundreds of pounds that you can save out of disability benefits. 

This is why we need to cut benefits and privatise GPs. 

3 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I think people sometimes underestimate the number of the British voting public that are motivated by pure spite.

When these discussions come up, I'm often reminded of the scene in Mississippi Burning where Gene Hackman discussed his father's motivations for being a racist.

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Our poorly paid GPs are easily swayed by the tens, sometimes even hundreds of pounds that you can save out of disability benefits. 

Getting £90 a prescription for handing out Methadone keeps them honest.

9 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I think people sometimes underestimate the number of the British voting public that are motivated by pure spite.

It's wild. The government could literally stop all benefit payments tomorrow and these absolute psychos wouldn't see a penny of it. It's pure, unadulterated vindictiveness. 

47 minutes ago, coprolite said:

GP’s are private contractors and are self-employed.

I was on UC at a stage last year and they wanted me to pay back an advanced payment from 9 months prior when I was on UC, so out of my monthly payment they were taking about £50 out to pay back themselves which I found mental, was left with roughly £250 for the month. I'd have happily paid it back straight away when in employment. Also I was on JSA when i was 18 before starting to work and it was night and day, they actually did a lot to help you and find work that would suit your needs, they were actively involved in helping you with your CV or tips and tricks and recommendations whereas during the switch over to UC they binned all of that stuff, they don't try and assist you at all, it's obvious that they're now just administrators that are only knowledgeable on when to sanction you where as before when it was JSA they actually seemed like work coaches. Also they used to pay your bus fare for when you had to travel to the meetings and then since covid instead they say they can do some remote ones but they can't reimburse you everytime you travel in if you blend between remote ones however if you were to travel in every time they would reimburse you every time. Just constant cost cutting. 

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

When these discussions come up, I'm often reminded of the scene in Mississippi Burning where Gene Hackman discussed his father's motivations for being a racist.

Aye, that's good. I'm also reminded of a joke I once heard about a genie and a lamp.

A British man finds a mysterious lamp and gives it a rub. A genie appears and proclaims that the man will be granted 1 wish.

" just 1 ? I thought it was usually 3 ?"

" this is a special wish, for others will also share in your luck and good fortune. Whatever you wish for, your neighbour will receive double"

The British man thinks long and hard before stating " I wish to be blind in one eye"

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

GP’s are private contractors and are self-employed.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, you're wrong yet again. There are NHS salaried GPs in nearly every practice but there are indeed many who are self employed.