General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Yep. "The House I Live In" is an absolutely devastating documentary on the subject. One of the creators (David Simon, iirc*)states early on that we are witnessing "a new Holocaust". Like you (probably), I immediately thought "hyperbole" - then the film proceeded to put all those not-so-fluffy ducks in a row, and I thought "fúck me, that country is going to go up with one massive bang one of these days". Overall, I was more reminded of Apartheid-era RSA, but still, a seriously fúcked up society. Absolutely essential watching.

*Writer of "The Wire", "The Corner", and "Treme", to name but a few of his credits. An opinion I respect. 

He's making a new program btw. David Simon I mean. 

Something to do with a rogue Baltimore cop unit that basically behaved like gangsters.

7 hours ago, DMCs said:

He's making a new program btw. David Simon I mean. 

Something to do with a rogue Baltimore cop unit that basically behaved like gangsters.

Yeah, it's called "We own This City" and is,as you say, set in Baltimore - George Pelecanos collaborating again. I've watched the first episode (just "found" it - its on HBO over there), and it looks like it could well be up to his usual standard. Looking forward to finding out.

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

My MP doesn't speak often at Westminster but when she does its worth listening to.

What utter nonsense 😂

Fascism 😂

You wonder if she made up those lies herself, or was pushed into it by someone that dislikes her?

In either case, definitely not a good look.

Nearly the funniest thing I’ve witnessed in the commons, 2nd only to Hannah Bardell’s rap 😃

4 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

No thanks.  You've shown in the past that you won't debate in good faith.

While that’s horseshit, it’s also moot: I’m not asking for a debate. I’m asking you to point out what lies she said.  

Edited by carpetmonster

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't believe we've ever debated. Can you point out the lies to me? Thanks

Aye, no problem mate.

First lie- 'Foodbanks now do the job of government in providing for families'

It's not the government's job to provide for families.  It's the job of each individual family to provide for itself.

7 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Aye, no problem mate.

It's not the government's job to provide for families.  It's the job of each individual family to provide for itself.

It's the government's responsibility to provide an economy where people in work or not don't need to rely on food banks.

Next?

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Aye, no problem mate.

That's not a lie. That's a subjective opinion that goes into a detailed discussion about what the state is and what its duties are to its citizens. There's hundreds of years of debate on this subject. I can't imagine being stupid enough to think a differing opinion on this centuries old debate is automatically a lie. So I'll presume this is you being purposefully obtuse. Any actual lies?

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That's not a lie. That's a subjective opinion that goes into a detailed discussion about what the state is and what its duties are to its citizens. There's hundreds of years of debate on this subject. I can't imagine being stupid enough to think a differing opinion on this centuries old debate is automatically a lie. So I'll presume this is you being purposefully obtuse. Any actual lies?

Sorry mate, but I see that as a fundamental.  It's simply not the government's role.

'I can't imagine being stupid enough..' - aye, nae bother.

Just now, Duries Air Freshener said:

Sorry mate, but I see that as a fundamental.  It's simply not the government's role.

'I can't imagine being stupid enough..' - aye, nae bother.

Doesn't matter what you see it as. It remains an opinion and not fact. It's an entirely ideological stance.  

So, again, any lies?

27 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Aye, no problem mate.

I seem to recall Beveridge, the founder of the welfare state saying that welfare should be temporary to allow the individual to get through a period of unemployment or sickness but it should not be a permanent thing.

8 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

It's a fundamental and not merely an ideological stance or opinion.

It is literally an ideological stance. It doesn't matter what your opinion is.

Now, I'll humour ye, and say "WOW. You got her there. What a whopper of a lie."

What are the other lies?

I seem to recall Beveridge, the founder of the welfare state saying that welfare should be temporary to allow the individual to get through a period of unemployment or sickness but it should not be a permanent thing.
What happens if the sickness is permanent?

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It is literally an ideological stance. It doesn't matter what your opinion is.

Now, I'll humour ye, and say "WOW. You got her there. What a whopper of a lie. 

Why? Remember that this is the guy who accuses *others* of not debating in good faith.