General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

survey.PNG

Yes, that’s what I would expect and I would probably be in there with the majority.

Seems a long while ago, but I thought the question was as to whether a man should  have a say in these matters?

Anyway, I’ve made my own position clear.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Yes, that’s what I would expect and I would probably be in there with the majority.

Seems a long while ago, but I thought the question was as to whether a man should  have a say in these matters?

Anyway, I’ve made my own position clear.

Men are entitled to their opinions on abortion.

They mean absolutely f**k all but they're entitled to have them.

Tories determined to appeal to the their most uncaring supporters.

Boris Johnson: Fifty migrants told they will be sent to Rwanda

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61447106

I wonder what the level of support for this policy is like from the soft Tory voter.

13 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.8152f741df56b28b1490c6a085668377.png

Too soft= not proposing taking passports & drivers licenses off of people for the heinous crime of doing ching.

Of all the mad shit the tories do (and supported by those spineless half - tory wetwipes in the remains of the Labour party) the persistence with the hard line, justice led response to drugs is amongst the least evidenced and the most damaging.

Fought for over half a century now, the war on drugs has killed millions, cost trillions and achieved nothing. Nothing at all.

4 hours ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

This comes hot on the heels of this bed wetting shite from Labour.

It must be getting to be a dilemma about who to vote for in England, well if it wasn't for a few other issues along with outright hypocrisy in their actions when in power. 

The calls for reform are cross-party too. Among the advocates is former Tory leader William Hague, who saw his once “zero tolerance” approach to drugs fall apart when a third of his Shadow Cabinet admitted taking drugs. Hague now backs the model operated by Portugal since 2001, which decriminalised minor drug offences without increasing overall drug use.

Shortly before he became an MP, a certain Boris Johnson complained on camera that the Labour Government criminalised recreational cannabis users. “I have some perfectly respectable neighbours – good bourgeois types – who, without giving the game away or naming them, whenever they are sitting in of an evening and have got nothing else to do, they roll up a spliff and quietly smoke it together… and yet they are in breach of the law for what they are doing,” he said.

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It must be getting to be a dilemma about who to vote for in England, well if it wasn't for a few other issues along with outright hypocrisy in their actions when in power. 

Come on now, dear old Boris isn’t a hypocrite. He’s still fine with his friends and neighbours - good bourgeois types - indulging in class-A drugs until their septums collapse. It’s the peasants who deserve to have their passports taken away if they even give off a whiff of weed. Can’t have them aping their betters.

15 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Of all the mad shit the tories do (and supported by those spineless half - tory wetwipes in the remains of the Labour party) the persistence with the hard line, justice led response to drugs is amongst the least evidenced and the most damaging.

Fought for over half a century now, the war on drugs has killed millions, cost trillions and achieved nothing. Nothing at all.

Well, it's criminalised a hell of a lot of people that the ruling class don't like. Some might say that's the point.

Also, in America at least, it's been responsible for rounding up huge numbers of non-whites and putting them back into slave labour. That very definitely appears to have been the point.

19 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

3BD38412-8FE2-4685-8A15-B04FEDE94FD9.jpeg

57CB5210-E01D-4122-B91A-9DD7C856CACC.jpeg

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Well, it's criminalised a hell of a lot of people that the ruling class don't like. Some might say that's the point.

Also, in America at least, it's been responsible for rounding up huge numbers of non-whites and putting them back into slave labour. That very definitely appears to have been the point.

Yep. "The House I Live In" is an absolutely devastating documentary on the subject. One of the creators (David Simon, iirc*)states early on that we are witnessing "a new Holocaust". Like you (probably), I immediately thought "hyperbole" - then the film proceeded to put all those not-so-fluffy ducks in a row, and I thought "fúck me, that country is going to go up with one massive bang one of these days". Overall, I was more reminded of Apartheid-era RSA, but still, a seriously fúcked up society. Absolutely essential watching.

*Writer of "The Wire", "The Corner", and "Treme", to name but a few of his credits. An opinion I respect. 

53 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

WRK is by a country mile, the most joyless drama Queen on this site.

In fairness I do think he can come across as abrasive but is often speaking from the heart and makes some good posts. He's at least sincere and usually engages with the discussion on some level more often than not.