General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Viability doesn’t determines whether he or she is part of the mother’s body or not.

Of course it does. Are you under the impression that babies are born in a vacuum ?

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

How do you know that?

Because in the US where lunatics think that abortion is actually a real issue, it’s still a straight 2:1 want Roe vs Wade left the f**k alone. It’s going to be magnitudes less in the UK. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

Because in the US where lunatics think that abortion is actually a real issue, it’s still a straight 2:1 want Roe vs Wade left the f**k alone. It’s going to be magnitudes less in the UK. 

Much simpler than that even, you can assume that if the Tories thought there was political ground to be gained by shelling womens rights into the dirt, they would be well on the road to ensuring such treatment had to be sought in Rwanda at the patients expense. 

1 minute ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

1286921610_Screenshot_20220511-213457_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.369d44644cb2c14404babd8d5bceaf16.jpg

71% baby.

The settled will of the British people.

Thanks for that.

This debate, for me at least, only got going when welshbairn made a point about it being a very tricky issue which it is and I agreed with him.

Since then it seems to have polarised into a black and white matter which it isn’t.

Abortion came into my life when a GP suggested to my wife that it may be something she might consider due to the age gap between our second child and the impending one. She immediately declined and we went on to have a beautiful baby. It was that suggestion that made us feel that it was just too easy to dispose of a life.

For what it’s worth I think the present law is about right but it’s not something to take lightly.

Im not religious but there is something sacred about creating a new life and it’s a wonderful gift to have children.

Abortion, whilst occasionally necessary is a horrible choice for any woman to have to make.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Much simpler than that even, you can assume that if the Tories thought there was political ground to be gained by shelling womens rights into the dirt, they would be well on the road to ensuring such treatment had to be sought in Rwanda at the patients expense. 

I was gonna say ‘and likely some mistresses coming out the woodwork’ but then I remembered Tories aren’t arsed about being hypocrites. 

9 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Thanks for that.

This debate, for me at least, only got going when welshbairn made a point about it being a very tricky issue which it is and I agreed with him.

Since then it seems to have polarised into a black and white matter which it isn’t.

Abortion came into my life when a GP suggested to my wife that it may be something she might consider due to the age gap between our second child and the impending one. She immediately declined and we went on to have a beautiful baby. It was that suggestion that made us feel that it was just too easy to dispose of a life.

For what it’s worth I think the present law is about right but it’s not something to take lightly.

Im not religious but there is something sacred about creating a new life and it’s a wonderful gift to have children.

Abortion, whilst occasionally necessary is a horrible choice for any woman to have to make.

The assumption that thousands of people take it lightly and use it as a form of contraception is often used for an argument against it. Generally by religious nutjobs and right wing arseholes. 

Of course, this explains why its a big issue in America. 

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Whether one has brain activity doesn’t determine whether he or she is a life, part of the mother’s body or most importantly, has intrinsic value.

you’re completely wrong with your 28 week claim anyway.. it’s a lot earlier

https://www.healthline.com/health/when-does-a-fetus-develop-a-brain

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/books/chapters/the-ethical-brain.html

Try reducing your claim by about 23 weeks :)

The life support machine example is ridiculous considering the adult is at the end of their life, not the beginning.

Nice try though.

Nice edit. Notice I didn’t say ‘develop a brain’ -  I said ‘medics can detect brain activity’ - as the brainstem is fully formed at 28 weeks. Try not accusing others of not answering your questions when you make up your own and answer them yourself in others’ posts. 

50 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Thanks for that.

Your point about there being something sacred about creating a new life is one that particularly resonates with me.  With scan technology we're now able to see heartbeats, movements, the brain, giggles, fingers, toes, facial expressions and all sorts that to me suggests a human being with instrinsic value.  It's amazing to see, but apparently having this stance is trolling.

I'm essentially anti-abortion, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider it moral in some outlying cases.  One of these would be if the mother's life is at risk.  I certainly don't judge those who decide to go for abortions either, as they just see things differently from me.

Thanks for bringing some sanity to the discussion though.  My wife's due in July.. a wee girl.  In a weird way I feel like I know her already, and am continuously feeling my wife's belly for wee kicks.  It's a magical time :)

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

34 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Nice edit. Notice I didn’t say ‘develop a brain’ -  I said ‘medics can detect brain activity’ - as the brainstem is fully formed at 28 weeks. Try not accusing others of not answering your questions when you make up your own and answer them yourself in others’ posts. 

"The early signs of a brain have begun to form. Even though the fetus is now developing areas that will become specific sections of the brain, not until the end of week 5 and into week 6 (usually around forty to forty-three days) does the first electrical brain activity begin to occur"

1 minute ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

"The early signs of a brain have begun to form. Even though the fetus is now developing areas that will become specific sections of the brain, not until the end of week 5 and into week 6 (usually around forty to forty-three days) does the first electrical brain activity begin to occur"

Yes, you've answered your own question again; it doesn't dispute anything I've said and I've already told you that. Are you genuinely this thick or just entirely tedious?

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Yes, you've answered your own question again; it doesn't dispute anything I've said and I've already told you that. Are you genuinely this thick or just entirely tedious?

You said the following:

"Medics can't detect brain activity in the fetus until 28 weeks"

If I'm genuinely thick and/or tedious, then what does that make you?

13 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

You said the following:

"Medics can't detect brain activity in the fetus until 28 weeks"

If I'm genuinely thick and/or tedious, then what does that make you?

A stupid c**t for humouring you. 

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

A stupid c**t for humouring you. 

Mate, I genuinely don't understand why you've been so hostile.  All I've done is argue my case.

You being wrong about the brain activity (as well as other stuff) doesn't actually bother me either way.

Anyway, I still refuse to rise to the constant insults from you and others.  Always better to play the ball, not the man.

Goodnight.

3 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Mate, I genuinely don't understand why you've been so hostile.  All I've done is argue my case.

You being wrong about the brain activity (as well as other stuff) doesn't actually bother me either way.

Anyway, I still refuse to rise to the constant insults from you and others.  Always better to play the ball, not the man.

Goodnight.

https://www.nature.com/articles/pr200950

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That wasn't even the amusing bit.

That came in your very next post, having made that fuckup.... 🤣

You tried to be a smart arse and promptly face-planted in front of everyone.

Very well done indeed Whitey. Fair cheered me up this cold morning. 😆

Have a nice day, you miserable, humourless auld b*****d. 😃

I'm pleased for you that a slip in Latin - immediately owned as well - causes you so much joy. What a fulfilling life you must have.