General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

17 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The equation of "financial superiority = better person". Next fucking stupid question.

Oh it's far more cynical than that. There's nothing wrong with owning a home, but there is something very wrong with owning a home that should be available for social rent and that hasn't and won't be replaced. 

31 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Absolutely nothing, but when, for example, all the heavy industry around, say, the Dawson Park area closes down and folks become unemployed, might Locke's self ownership ideal become just that little bit more difficult?

You’re right. Yes, all the ironfounding and aluminium factories closed down as times changed but, in general, with a move to lighter industries and services, people have prospered and working conditions are immeasurably better.

Its called progress.

when I was growing up, almost everyone lived in a council house but that has changed with the desire to get on, better oneself and own property. It’s not all good but, by and large, I have seen massive improvements to living standards throughout all sectors of the population and long may that continue.

40 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Oh it's far more cynical than that. There's nothing wrong with owning a home, but there is something very wrong with owning a home that should be available for social rent and that hasn't and won't be replaced. 

Don't worry. The good old private sector wealth creators will provide much needed investment capital and step in to the breach. 

Fair play to him, he certainly manages to dig out responses.

f**k knows what he gets out of constantly having people fill in his gaps in logic, but we all have our hobbies.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You’re right. Yes, all the ironfounding and aluminium factories closed down as times changed but, in general, with a move to lighter industries and services, people have prospered and working conditions are immeasurably better.

Its called progress.

when I was growing up, almost everyone lived in a council house but that has changed with the desire to get on, better oneself and own property. It’s not all good but, by and large, I have seen massive improvements to living standards throughout all sectors of the population and long may that continue.

I can't help but notice one sector where there has been undeniable growth.

Can you guess? Rymes with mood tanks.

Fucking selfish, uncaring, imaginary tosspot. Even to type this shite as part of some online gag is indefensible.

6 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

What’s wrong with people having aspirations to better themselves?

Absolutely nothing wrong with this but specifically in relation to Council housing, it wasn't bettering themselves.  It was an asset transfer at below market value.  If this was carried out in the private sector you would have had the tax man on your case.  Oh and for far more than your pissy £8k.

Why does it need home ownership to become better?  Donating your time to a cause that you support  finding a work/life balance are ways that you can better yourself without fucking over the next generation who have no chance to be able to afford property at market rates and certainly will never have the opportunity to purchase below market value nor in many cases be able to get appropriate council houses.

Right to Buy's main issue was that the houses were never replaced and all the best houses were generally bought with those in Council hands left having higher maintenance costs or needing replaced. It's one of the reasons a lot of Council stock was transferred to Housing Associations who could at least upgrade or build new stocks of public housing.

Not going to matter either way. We're moving faster and closer to owning/buying a house being only for the rich or only via inheritance, and the rich who bribe the government will find a way to ensure that only they can do the latter.

With it being election season there's a lot more politicians popping up on TV spraffing shite but over the last few days I've heard the new buzz phrase "laser sharp focus" being adopted a lot. Apart from it being tragic patter it also seems to get used as a get out of jail/let's move on card. Does that mean that politicos never focused much on the job before they acquired "laser sharp focus"

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

With it being election season there's a lot more politicians popping up on TV spraffing shite but over the last few days I've heard the new buzz phrase "laser sharp focus" being adopted a lot. Apart from it being tragic patter it also seems to get used as a get out of jail/let's move on card. Does that mean that politicos never focused much on the job before they acquired "laser sharp focus"

Let me be very clear: the message we’re hearing on the door steps is that people are interested in issues in the round. Going forward, a laser sharp focus will let politicians get on with delivering the things people care about.

Just now, Antlion said:

Let me be very clear: the message we’re hearing on the door steps is that people are interested in issues in the round. Going forward, a laser sharp focus will let politicians get on with delivering the things people care about.

Don't You Know There's A War On?: Words and Phrases from the World Wars:  Amazon.co.uk: Rees, Nigel: 9781906388997: Books

22 hours ago, Antlion said:

USgKoryE8PearceQuigley3ixfuJ8VWSJmYpFpWgSgJZ3zbFau9acegvNSTsdnrJcBHDdaajhwzYqx35sxGoSJPwi2bdcxh91GZ.gif

Few things I've noticed from the results down south

Labour lost hull but gained mayfair

Downing street is controlled by a labour council

Rees Moggs council went lib Dem 

Tory votes from the last general election went mostly to the lib Dems and not to labour so Sir Keir still has a massive problem considering the problems surrounding bojo and co