General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

17 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

https://www.cityam.com/government-to-roll-out-digital-identity-documents-for-pre-employment-checks-from-the-new-year/

Not really too sure what to make of this.

It doesn't help with my understanding of what the endgame is when you read quotes like this which are full of HR speak.

Desperate to force more asylum seekers into crime to drive up the fear and provide an excuse for more draconian measures.

Anyone who takes the "honours system" seriously should be reminded that in addition to the never to be sufficiently damned Jimmy Savile, such other wonderful examples of humanity as Benito Mussolini, Fred Goodwin and Robert Mugabe got one. 

I'm unlikely ever to be offered one, so I suppose I would say this, but if I was offered one I couldn't accept it. 

Burns got it right:

Ye see yon birkie ca’d a lord,
Wha struts, an’ stares, an’ a’ that,
Tho’ hundreds worship at his word,
He’s but a coof for a’ that.
For a’ that, an’ a’ that,
His ribband, star, an’ a’ that,
The man o’ independent mind,
He looks an’ laughs at a’ that.

14 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Anyone who takes the "honours system" seriously should be reminded that in addition to the never to be sufficiently damned Jimmy Savile, such other wonderful examples of humanity as Benito Mussolini, Fred Goodwin and Robert Mugabe got one. 

I'm unlikely ever to be offered one, so I suppose I would say this, but if I was offered one I couldn't accept it. 

Nicolae Ceaucescu got an honour (something shite like an MBE) and they rescinded it when he got shot.

My feeling is that being an ex-PM Blair's knighthood is just the equivalent of a time served Sir Humphrey type getting a gong. It was likely to happen sooner or later. Gordon Brown will get his soon enough and then Call me Dave and Theresa in time. 

There's two vacant positions for the Order of the Thistle at the moment- David Steel and George Robertson are members so Gordon may fancy that one. Apparently Attlee, worried about the number of political appointments that were being made to the Order, restored the gift of it to the Monarch and if you look at the current members you can see that it really reflects the make up of modern Scotland..

Someone at work got a BEM and I've seen it. I think the Junior Cup winners got a fancier medal..

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Nicolae Ceaucescu got an honour (something shite like an MBE) and they rescinded it when he got shot.

My feeling is that being an ex-PM Blair's knighthood is just the equivalent of a time served Sir Humphrey type getting a gong. It was likely to happen sooner or later. Gordon Brown will get his soon enough and then Call me Dave and Theresa in time. 

There's two vacant positions for the Order of the Thistle at the moment- David Steel and George Robertson are members so Gordon may fancy that one. Apparently Attlee, worried about the number of political appointments that were being made to the Order, restored the gift of it to the Monarch and if you look at the current members you can see that it really reflects the make up of modern Scotland..

Someone at work got a BEM and I've seen it. I think the Junior Cup winners got a fancier medal..

So when David Steel retired from public life in disgrace, he kept his membership of The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle?

How very chivalrous of him.

And them.

On 01/01/2022 at 10:00, Granny Danger said:

Burns got it right:

Ye see yon birkie ca’d a lord,
Wha struts, an’ stares, an’ a’ that,
Tho’ hundreds worship at his word,
He’s but a coof for a’ that.
For a’ that, an’ a’ that,
His ribband, star, an’ a’ that,
The man o’ independent mind,
He looks an’ laughs at a’ that.

Don't suppose there were many "man o independent mind" at the slave sugar plantation in where he worked in Jamaica.