General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

9 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

she said she does not plan "to charge out on a culture war battle"

*a pause*

THOSE FUCKING c***s ON THE LEFT ARE HIJACKING SOSCHAL MEEDJA

I watched that interview and Dorries overriding tone was very typical of contemporary Tory politician, Tory media and Tory electorate thinking, ie anything or anyone which deviates from their right-wing world view is an aberration, a calumny to be vigorously condemned.

And the reason they get away with this with brazen impunity is because the needle has been so comprehensively pushed rightwards that it has become the default position.  And it will stay there until there is a concerted challenge to it, but who can provide that is a depressing question.  

Welsh Labour and Plaid Cymru to cooperate on almost 50 policy areas Parties say deal is not coalition but ‘bespoke agreement’ to create a stable Senedd capable of delivering ‘radical change and reform’

Won't happen here!

57 minutes ago, btb said:

Welsh Labour and Plaid Cymru to cooperate on almost 50 policy areas Parties say deal is not coalition but ‘bespoke agreement’ to create a stable Senedd capable of delivering ‘radical change and reform’

Won't happen here!

It'll screech to a halt in Wales if Plaid look like gaining a level of traction that threatens the wider status quo. 

Hi folks. Is there a thread anywhere that covers advice/experiences about installing domestic renewables? 

We looked at solar panels a few years ago, but the estimated payback period was too long.  Presumably prices of the kit and maybe the efficiency have improved over recent years. 

Anyone with any recent experience of this? 

Hi folks. Is there a thread anywhere that covers advice/experiences about installing domestic renewables? 

We looked at solar panels a few years ago, but the estimated payback period was too long.  Presumably prices of the kit and maybe the efficiency have improved over recent years. 

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

@Thorongil

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hi mate. I’m installing an air source heat pump for the house and solar as part of a new garage/annex project. Currently awaiting trial pits being dug for the building warrant. 

Home Energy Scotland were very good and really knew their stuff. They confirmed that when the times comes I’ll be eligible for funding and incentive payments. Easy to speak to them in the phone. 

Then I got a contractor to come and do a site survey and quote. Aiming to have it all done by the summer but that might be optimistic with current material prices.

Edited by Thorongil

3 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Hi mate. I’m installing an air source heat pump for the house and solar as part of a new garage/annex project. Currently awaiting trial pits being dug for the building warrant. 

Home Energy Scotland were very good and really knew their stuff. They confirmed that when the times comes I’ll be eligible for funding and incentive payments. Easy to speak to them in the phone. 

Then I got a contractor to come and do a site survey and quote. Aiming to have it all done by the summer but that might be optimistic with current material prices.

What are you being told the COP is for your air source?  Is your plan to use the solar to power the air source?  I looked at air source a few years ago but it wasn't really appropriate for my granite walled, no insulation house.

Just noticed that Andrew Marr is leaving the BBC to join LBC. 
Not the first to do this of course, but just like Eddie Mair, James O'Brien and others, he wants to have the opportunity to express his own opinions rather than those of the govt appointed board of governors, and the DG.
What a shambles of an organisation.

The irony that Marr is very much a Tory with Right Wing views working for a Tory backing, Right Wing broadcaster such as the BBC is not lost on me.

However, I do actually like his show and the debates that are raised from it, he’ll certainly be a loss to politics on the BBC.

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

In an unbelievably crowded field, Nadine may well be the thickest Tory in the mainstream. This will forever be one of my favourite tweets

bbfffa9a485e0269307695e6e434335c.jpg

“Swass stickers”

Surely this isn’t real? She’s a (*snicker*) writer, isn’t she?

ETA: if fucking is real. I look forward to reading the piece of shit’s World War 2 series - it looks like a gripping tale of land ladies working on the house front, bravely fending off Dolph Hitler, Lou Waffer, and the evil Panda Tanks.

369A7347-0D68-4437-B2A1-C612CEF8EFD4.jpeg

Edited by Antlion

3 hours ago, strichener said:

What are you being told the COP is for your air source?  Is your plan to use the solar to power the air source?  I looked at air source a few years ago but it wasn't really appropriate for my granite walled, no insulation house.

COP is 4.21. 12kw pump and 6kw backup heater and all associated works for about £17k. I passed the quote and the drawings from the contractor to a friend who runs a business installing and maintaining commercial heating systems, including Air Source. He said it was a big yes. 

it’s not going to be as lucrative now as the RHI scheme will end before it is commissioned, but still worth doing. RHI would have given me 12k back over 7 years n addition to the up front Government funding.

my house is timber frame construction and I built it myself 6 years ago. Downstairs is all underfloor so overall it seems to be a good way to go.