General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

They could pick a better enemy though. You'd think that the Tories would see the money making opportunities and get right behind the legalisation.

Maybe none of their donors are involved in the industry so it's not worth their time.

I suspect that “JUNKIES” are an easy enemy common to both the middle shires and “red wall” gammons. The Tories know that these folk think only the underclass live in heroin-infused slums and use drugs (not good, honest, hardworking taxpayers, ever). Demonising drug users is a simple way of looking tough on crime to an audience who would happily see their idea of filthy, lazy, feckless addicts flogged in workhouses.

29 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I suspect that “JUNKIES” are an easy enemy common to both the middle shires and “red wall” gammons. The Tories know that these folk think only the underclass live in heroin-infused slums and use drugs (not good, honest, hardworking taxpayers, ever). Demonising drug users is a simple way of looking tough on crime to an audience who would happily see their idea of filthy, lazy, feckless addicts flogged in workhouses.

Only the underclass take drugs right enough.

2_Screen-Shot-2021-08-29-at-123037_resul

Traces of cocaine found throughout Houses of Parliament | Metro News

Edited by Suspect Device

They could pick a better enemy though. You'd think that the Tories would see the money making opportunities and get right behind the legalisation.
Maybe none of their donors are involved in the industry so it's not worth their time.
They have, and they are.

https://feed-the-birds.com/business/tory-party-donor-facilitate-licenses-grow-weed-uk-crop17/

The tough line on drugs is so out of step with just about every other Tory policy too. They’ve been wailing about freedoms for the past year, refusing to accept in the face of an unknown pandemic that it might be best to work from home for a while, but will happily throw you in jail for putting some powder up your nose.

Reverse the situation. Imagine drugs were legal, and Labour proposed making them illegal. Johnson and the lads would be shoving bags of heroin up their arse on GB News before you could say ‘nanny state’.

On 20/10/2021 at 02:12, Arabdownunder said:

I think you'll find it was an Englishman who decided the name. 

My teacher as a boy in Australia took great pleasure in repeatedly telling me, a 10 year old boy who couldn't give a flying fucking kookaburra, that Britain fits into Western Australia x amount of times( something daft like 20 odd or some shit).

This was a direct result of me, a 10 Yr old Scottish boy, laugh-snorting under my breath when she was banging on about some shit from their "history".

My answer that my dad's football team back home (Hearts) were older than what she was talking about as their history didn't seem to go down well with her.

She was a Greek national too which made it even more bizarre.  Fucking weirdos. 

94d61022067831b8fd8543c107b337d8.jpg
Looks like the next Kirk Moderator is in favour of more liberal drug enforcement.
This is a positive step but it needs far more of civic Scotland and indeed the UK to take the sensible health based approach and put their heads above the parapet before Westminster moves on drugs.

The police turning a blind eye is a decent start here but it's all a bit half hearted when it isn't then treated by the system as a health issue.

Working in public health, small numbers of folk do incredible work but it just isn't anywhere near enough and the system of support for those addicted to drugs just isn't there bar for a fortunate few.

America has legalised weed in most big states now which fits in with the ideal 21st century subject being someone who spends a huge amount of time on the couch. 

Legalising drugs here would be a different thing all together as everyone would get right onto the MDMA and the country would become an infinitely better place. No chance it happens. 

The more likely outcome is the number of people prescribed benzos, opiates and SSRIs continues to increase. 

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

Assange has been barred from attending his own hearing and seems to heavily drugged. 

A world famous journalist being tortured in the UK and the media isn't covering it. 

But was he drugged and tortured?

A few court room sketches really isn’t enough for me to be sold on that assumption