General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Cowdenbeath Tory councillor Darren Watt trying to blame Nicola Sturgeon, Angela Rayner, John McDonnell and Jeremy Corbyn for the attack on Amess.

The c**t has no shame.

Those 3 words together seem very strange. What the hell has happened to Cowdenbeath? I'm sure they had the last Communist councillor in the UK?

Does that mean we are still slightly over represented? Scotland is only 8.1% of the UK population from a quick Google search. 5.45m out of 67.22m.
If, as we continue to be told,we belong to a "Union of equals" then no, we're, as are Wales and Northern Ireland, massively underrepresented.

4 minutes ago, jakedee said:
22 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Does that mean we are still slightly over represented? Scotland is only 8.1% of the UK population from a quick Google search. 5.45m out of 67.22m.

If, as we continue to be told,we belong to a "Union of equals" then no, we're, as are Wales and Northern Ireland, massively underrepresented.

Surely you can't be saying that we should all have 25% of MPs from each country?

3 minutes ago, jakedee said:
4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:
Surely you can't be saying that we should all have 25% of MPs from each country?

Why not?

It's not particularly fair representation. We are not a union of equals and anyone who says that is talking pish. 

Although in your crazy equal split between the countries, we'd be more likely to get independence. England would vote for it.

12 minutes ago, jakedee said:
30 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

One of the arguments commonly cited is that this (being a union of equal nations) wouldn’t work because of the disparity in sizes of population. It’s also given as a reason why federalism can’t work. Having smaller nations effectively outvoted because they’re … well … smaller - apparently that works just fine.

Just noticed that in the forthcoming by election for David Amess's seat, neither labour nor Lib dems will field candidates which will ensure the seat remains in Tory hands. Given this govt's performance since the GE, this seems all wrong to me.

26 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just noticed that in the forthcoming by election for David Amess's seat, neither labour nor Lib dems will field candidates which will ensure the seat remains in Tory hands. Given this govt's performance since the GE, this seems all wrong to me.

Aye but the principle is well established and you'd be essentially accepting murder as a way of depriving his constituents of the choice they made less than 2 years ago. 

Different if he was forced to step down due to indiscretions or criminality.

I imagine Labour are hiding the fact that they'll be utterly humiliated behind a "decent political gesture" or some such.

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Aye but the principle is well established and you'd be essentially accepting murder as a way of depriving his constituents of the choice they made less than 2 years ago. 

Different if he was forced to step down due to indiscretions or criminality.

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I imagine Labour are hiding the fact that they'll be utterly humiliated behind a "decent political gesture" or some such.

Good points both!

Arness's seat obviously a very safe seat in Tory heartland, and probably always will be. I'm just not comfortable with the conspiracy aspect of this arrangement which is hardly democracy in action.  Supposing it had been a marginal seat, would this agreement still have been acceptable?

Edited by ICTJohnboy

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Good points both!

Arness's seat obviously a very safe seat in Tory heartland, and probably always will be. I'm just not comfortable with the conspiracy aspect of this arrangement which is hardly democracy in action.  Supposing it had been a marginal seat, would this agreement still have been acceptable?

tbh I think it probably would have been. I'm fairly sure that the only parties who stood against Labour MPs in the by-election after Jo Cox's terrorist murder were the usual far right vermin/attention-seekers. I don't think any other major party stood a candidate. I don't think Jo Cox's seat was a marginal either. 

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

tbh I think it probably would have been. I'm fairly sure that the only parties who stood against Labour MPs in the by-election after Jo Cox's terrorist murder were the usual far right vermin/attention-seekers. I don't think any other major party stood a candidate. I don't think Jo Cox's seat was a marginal either. 

2016 Batley and Spen by-election - Wikipedia

English Democrat, BNP, National Front, Liberty GB... would have been an interesting debate putting this lot in a room.