General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

27 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This will start as a trickle until such time as the Queen passes, at which point I expect a flood of resignations as countries exit the Commonwealth.

Why - what is it about this man that doesn’t scream “natural and divinely appointed Head of State” of Tuvalu, Belize, Papua New Guinea, or Jamaica? 

89B57823-498D-4149-89CE-5E4923175EF8.jpeg

On 08/10/2021 at 13:10, Dunfermline Don said:

Was it Billy Connolly who was said that the fact someone wanted to be a politician should immediately disqualify them from ever being one.

How about everyone gets a chance to serve as an MP, councillor, MSP etc on a similar way that people are selected for jury service. I can’t see that causing too many problems. I could certainly live on £82k and have a few mates in London who could let me kip on their sofa saving a bit on expenses! emoji2957.png

9 hours ago, sparky88 said:

I'm still not sure why anything that results in someone becoming an MP makes them any more likely to make a good decision that will affect the future, as you say. 

No-one knows what will happen in the future. I want to be governed by people who admit they haven't got a clue either and are able to make decisions based on evidence put in front of them

For instance, is NS basing decisions on how it might impact independence. Or Boris Johnson with Brexit? Probably, and I wouldn't blame them since they owe their jobs to them supporting those issues. Sortition takes these issues away. 

I need to get my dyslexia sorted out. I thought that read "envelopes put in front of them"

18 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This will start as a trickle until such time as the Queen passes, at which point I expect a flood of resignations as countries exit the Commonwealth.

There are a few republics in the Commonwealth- India, Malta, Nigeria, South Africa, Fiji, Maldives and others.

With the 2022 election in the Philippines gearing  up I was wondering if it was worth starting a new thread.

Maybe it's only of interest to a few such as @hk blues, @Tight John McVeigh is a titand, possibly, @SlipperyPbut, having been there a couple of times and having a couple of Pinoy friends, I do take an interest.

Worth a new thread or just make occasional comments on here?

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

With the 2022 election in the Philippines gearing  up I was wondering if it was worth starting a new thread.

Maybe it's only of interest to a few such as @hk blues, @Tight John McVeigh is a titand, possibly, @SlipperyPbut, having been there a couple of times and having a couple of Pinoy friends, I do take an interest.

I keep away from this section of the forum. Sorry.

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Generally stay away from this area as well. However, this will be some real shits and giggles. At the last election I was still living there and six people were murdered in a gun battle at my local polling station.

With two former police chiefs having their hat in the ring (on fighting corruption tickets mmmm). Manny Pacquiao and surely Dutertes daughter diving in later it is going to be interesting.

I doubt it will have major interest or pulling power on the forum outside a few and the SEAPB masses.

I would reckon it will be Pacquiao or Sara Duterte. Depends how much money and tshirts are on offer for votes.

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Like the other guys above, I never venture into this section - I also doubt there would be much interest in i from other posters t.b.h  

As per the above post, it's likely to be a 2-horse race between Sara Duterte and Pacman.  How competent either would be is a different question although both do have experience in politics.  It's not unknown for a family member to step into the top job so that in itself isn't necessarily a red flag.  As for Pacquiao, I'm not sure how much he's actually achieved as a senator so who know?

Whilst it's not quite the circus of the US election, it might get interesting as we draw nearer the time.

2 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Generally stay away from this area as well. However, this will be some real shits and giggles. At the last election I was still living there and six people were murdered in a gun battle at my local polling station.

With two former police chiefs having their hat in the ring (on fighting corruption tickets mmmm). Manny Pacquiao and surely Dutertes daughter diving in later it is going to be interesting.

I doubt it will have major interest or pulling power on the forum outside a few and the SEAPB masses.

I would reckon it will be Pacquiao or Sara Duterte. Depends how much money and tshirts are on offer for votes.

How very Northern Ireland...

14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Possibly so, but we've ran out of steam already! 

You could post any old shite and none of the rest of us would know any different one way or the other. (Apart from T_K...)

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Possibly so, but we've ran out of steam already! 

Give it time! It will still be of little interest to most but as the election draws closer it will get very interesting.

Pacman and Sara seem the logical leaders in the race, but not because of political talent.

Surely as things get closer the usual muck slinging and shenanigans will begin. 

A lot will depend on how dirty some of the candidates get and with her recent awards, Maria Ressa will have her say/part to play. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:16, hk blues said:

Like the other guys above, I never venture into this section - I also doubt there would be much interest in i from other posters t.b.h  

As per the above post, it's likely to be a 2-horse race between Sara Duterte and Pacman.  How competent either would be is a different question although both do have experience in politics.  It's not unknown for a family member to step into the top job so that in itself isn't necessarily a red flag.  As for Pacquiao, I'm not sure how much he's actually achieved as a senator so who know?

Whilst it's not quite the circus of the US election, it might get interesting as we draw nearer the time.

Thanks for that.  I'm just fascinated by the process and by this balance between personality and oligarchy - with policies taking a poor third place.

I was also pleased AF that Maria Ressa - editor and founder of Rappler - got a Nobel Peace Prize last week.  What an amazing achievement.

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Thanks for that.  I'm just fascinated by the process and by this balance between personality and oligarchy - with policies taking a poor third place.

I was also pleased AF that Maria Ressa - editor and founder of Rappler - got a Nobel Peace Prize last week.  What an amazing achievement.

Yep, it's all about the characters here rather than the policies.  I doubt many here even know what the respective manifestos are - I certainly don't!  If Pacquiao does win, which is possibly unlikely but very possible, it will kinda confirm how important the population here view the position.  

Excellent news about Maria Ressa right enough - Duterte didn't mention a word about it! 

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Claudia Webbe found guilty of harassment.

Claudia Webbe: MP guilty of threatening and harassing woman https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-58900981

Could be a by election coming?

"In short, I find Ms Webbe to be vague, incoherent and at times illogical."

Typical MP, in other words

Electoral borders committee have published their initial report on redrawing Scottish borders and there are some humdingers.

https://www.bcomm-scotland.independent.gov.uk/?q=reviews/2023-review-uk-parliament-constituencies

Just to remind you: Scotland has been allocated 57 constituencies for the 2023 Review, two less than at present. England has been allocated 543 (+10), Northern Ireland 18 (no change) and Wales 32 (-8). Detail in the link.

FBnYLZHXMAQmnsK?format=jpg&name=large