General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
10 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Pretty poor effort that one. Trying to make it seem like they rake in £25 billion from school meals when that's a fraction of their global business and are one of the biggest companies in existence. I don't think his salary is particularly out of line.

You mean they rip off taxpayers in other countries too? Goodness me, the meme should make that clear.

19 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

That £5/£30 figure is obviously incorrect. Miles out I would say.

If it was the same thing posted about immigrants stealing money off pensioners we would be all over it for having made up numbers in it.

well the absolute one thing we have to be is fair when it comes to giant corporations profiting from feeding schoolchildren.

If it was the same thing posted about immigrants stealing money off pensioners we would be all over it for having made up numbers in it.
Wasn't this an actual thing that BoJo had to apologise for a few months back?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Wasn't this an actual thing that BoJo had to apologise for a few months back?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I assume that is where they picked the numbers from. The Rashford thing. The charge for that food was £10.50, not £30 as per the woman who did the original tweet. 

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Here's where it came from probably.

Food parcels are currently being sent to school children in England who would normally get free school meals.

In January, one mother calling herself Roadside Mum posted a photo on Twitter of the free school meal that had been supplied to her and was supposedly worth £30.

It consisted of two carrots, two potatoes and a tin of baked beans and a small range of other food items: she calculated the cost to be only about £5.

Compass apologises for school meal parcels that 'fell short’

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Putting aside from the creeping shadow of fascism it's quite funny that the UK armed forces got their arses handed to them in Basra and Helmand yet everyone still has to pretend they are extremely competent. 

Patel is going to get tough on climate change protesters. What starts as a populist move against people (activists and criminals to use govt speak) who may cause some inconvenience to some, will be used against everyone when they finally realise what the govt is actually up to and start to protest.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/03/patel-pledges-six-months-in-prison-or-big-fines-for-motorway-protesters

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Putting aside from the creeping shadow of fascism it's quite funny that the UK armed forces got their arses handed to them in Basra and Helmand yet everyone still has to pretend they are extremely competent. 

You'll get nowhere sucking up to the Rangers fans talking like that.... 

3 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Patel is going to get tough on climate change protesters. What starts as a populist move against people (activists and criminals to use govt speak) who may cause some inconvenience to some, will be used against everyone when they finally realise what the govt is actually up to and start to protest.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/03/patel-pledges-six-months-in-prison-or-big-fines-for-motorway-protesters

Will there be big protests though? In the first Cameron years there were huge anti austerity protests, student protests and the riots. Since then people have either had their brain rotted by Instagram or been neutered by Twitter (or P&B). 

The government told us not to see our families and most people did it. They already have complete control. 

35 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Will there be big protests though? In the first Cameron years there were huge anti austerity protests, student protests and the riots. Since then people have either had their brain rotted by Instagram or been neutered by Twitter (or P&B). 

The government told us not to see our families and most people did it. They already have complete control. 

Much as I hate to agree, I think you are probably right. There will be some protests, but the govt will be able to paint them as activists and agitators.

Maybe I'm getting too cynical in my old age.

4 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Johnathan Freeland had an article in yesterday's Guardian outlining a range of measures Johnson's Government is intent on introducing.  Were it Orban, Trump, Modi or Bolsanoro there would be a huge outcry but most folk here in Global Britain are probably blissfully unaware.

26 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Johnathan Freeland had an article in yesterday's Guardian outlining a range of measures Johnson's Government is intent on introducing.  Were it Orban, Trump, Modi or Bolsanoro there would be a huge outcry but most folk here in Global Britain are probably blissfully unaware.

For the people of Scotland there’s only one solution.  I realise that sounds like a broken down record but it’s still the case.

I don't mean to disparage people on here (I do a bit) but there is an issue in Britain of people moaning about how we as a collective population do nothing to resist or protest this government who won't do anything bar occasionally vote.

At the same time I kinda get it since thousands of people marched, smashed shit up and organised and nothing happened. It is demoralising. Seeing the waves of ostensibly left liberal voters turn against them as well didn't help.

Edited by NotThePars

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't mean to disparage people on here (I do a bit) but there is an issue in Britain of people moaning about how we as a collective population do nothing to resist or protest this government who won't do anything bar occasionally vote.

I'm inclined to agree but then most folk will remember how the Met responded to women protesting against an off duty cop kidnapping, raping and murdering a lone female. Unless you're the Duchess of Cambridge of course.

Speaking of our head of state and her tribe, not content with funding the shielding of sex offenders I see the Crown Estate has been laundering money for the Azerbaijani dictator.  

Joke country. 

Just now, 101 said:

Is this guy suggesting killing your children or putting them up for adoption if money becomes an issue following the cut in universal credit?

😆

I'd assume he means not have any more kids rather than actually send them to the workhouses but given he's a Tory, you never know.

If you can't feed 'em don't breed 'em was the old saying. Not very joined up thinking when we have a demographic problem on the horizon that Covid has singularly failed to solve. Maybe the gas price rise will freeze another few over the the winter. Not good Tory voting (well off) OAP's obviously.

Just now, Suspect Device said:

😆

I'd assume he means not have any more kids rather than actually send them to the workhouses but given he's a Tory, you never know.

If you can't feed 'em don't breed 'em was the old saying. Not very joined up thinking when we have a demographic problem on the horizon that Covid has singularly failed to solve. Maybe the gas price rise will freeze another few over the the winter. Not good Tory voting (well off) OAP's obviously.

If that's what he's saying it's very strange way to phrase it considering there f**k all you can do if they were born before the world got turned on its head.