General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

5 minutes ago, sophia said:

You do rather.

Perhaps a mention of Darien, a gonk and some low rent misogyny would keep us entertained and repulsed in equal measure.

Darien was the end of a process which began in 1560 - rather than the beginning of one as oft depicted.

How's that?

9 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Scotland is for the Scottish people who live here to decide.

When did this get decided?  I better let my future son-in-law know that he doesn't get a say in how a country he has lived in most of his life is governed.  I guess those damn pesky foreign types should just sit in the corner and be quiet.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yet another ethno-nationalist boor who can't grasp the concept of a unitary nation-state.

To repeat myself:  The less you know about Scotland the more likely you are to be an empty-headed ScotchNat.

You never fail to display your honours degree levels of being a unionista f*ckwit.  Sitting in Bucks in the land of smug and pontificating about what is right and best for Scotland.  And yes, you do repeat yourself ad nauseum on subjects that, as an outsider, should not be within your concern.

Keep slurping from the westminster gloryhole preppy.

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

When did this get decided?  I better let my future son-in-law know that he doesn't get a say in how a country he has lived in most of his life is governed.  I guess those damn pesky foreign types should just sit in the corner and be quiet.

I assumed it would be understood that by adding "who live here" would encompass the residential question.  I should have been more clear.  Your son-in-law (to be) is mair than welcome to his say, ken.

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

An an English man that lives in Scotland and has done since I was 5 I guess I better just sit down and take what I'm given by the superior Scottish people. 

19 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Holyrood is also in need of reform or scrapping.  When you have a regional administration undermining the credibility and politicising key public services such as the police, COPFS and the civil service then the baw's burst as far as any semblance of 'checks and balances' go.

Pretty strong allegations, interested to hear how the public services are political in Scotland.

I agree that checks and balances are important and glad to see you agree so hopefully you would agree that Westminster is completely broken and currently the UKg gov can do what they like, including act illegally and against the interests of the public they serve.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Eh?  If he lives here he's Scottish.

10 hours ago, hearthammer said:

I assumed it would be understood that by adding "who live here" would encompass the residential question.  I should have been more clear.  Your son-in-law (to be) is mair than welcome to his say, ken.

Why would you assume that?  The point of your post was to exclude Scottish people that no longer live here.  Not everyone "who live here" are Scottish unless you are silly enough to be in agreement with Baxter.  I know my daughter's fiance considers himself to be Lithuanian.  He has settled status but he definitely isn't Scottish.

Edited by strichener