General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Tories have cut central funding to councils by 60% in a decade.

Labour can obviously communicate better but that people don't understand this is primarily a failure of the state broadcaster (or being honest a success). 

Why would the state broadcaster advertise the fact that the Tories are duplicitous cretins ratfucking the population ?

It was down to Labour to get this message across. It's probably too late now. The narrative is now set and the Tories have successfully weaponised it and it'll be the same with any post covid and brexit downturn.

It may have been different if the Corbyn wing of the party still had some influence, they were never shy about shouting about Tory cuts. But, much like the global financial crash, I'd expect the current management to fully accept the blame and offer a snivelling apology.

Listening to an interview with Damien Green re social care, stating that the Govt. " has to come clean with the British people that we will have to pay more,eg through taxation or NI contributions to fund this".
Is he a member of a party that has spent the last few years criticising the Scot. Gov. for having the " highest taxes in the UK" to fund things like free personal care?
And people still vote for them.

3 hours ago, jakedee said:

Listening to an interview with Damien Green re social care, stating that the Govt. " has to come clean with the British people that we will have to pay more,eg through taxation or NI contributions to fund this".
Is he a member of a party that has spent the last few years criticising the Scot. Gov. for having the " highest taxes in the UK" to fund things like free personal care?
And people still vote for them.

25% of people in Scotland vote Tory at the last General Election.  Sadly about a further 30% voted for Tory enablers.

Presumably the SNP are intending to run as a minority government again? Imagine had they been entertaining a coalition with the Greens we'd have heard it by now.

Also seems like there will now only be 8 senior cabinet posts. With the SNP likely to push one of their own for presiding officer to make sure Indy are legislation can pass and with chat around Fiona Hyslop getting the shout, what do we think the cabinet looks like?

Assuming gender balance: expect the 4 guys to be Swinney, Brown, Yousaf and Robertson. On the female side, Forbes is a dead cert - but who else and what roles?

21 minutes ago, renton said:

Presumably the SNP are intending to run as a minority government again? Imagine had they been entertaining a coalition with the Greens we'd have heard it by now.

Also seems like there will now only be 8 senior cabinet posts. With the SNP likely to push one of their own for presiding officer to make sure Indy are legislation can pass and with chat around Fiona Hyslop getting the shout, what do we think the cabinet looks like?

Assuming gender balance: expect the 4 guys to be Swinney, Brown, Yousaf and Robertson. On the female side, Forbes is a dead cert - but who else and what roles?

The SNP could maybe  risk a Green as Presiding Officer?  That wouldn't cost them a vote and the Greens haven't had a PO yet.  Combined SNP/Green majority on indyref preserved.  What's not to like? 

27 minutes ago, renton said:

Somerville has been a Cabinet Secretary for a wee while now, so think she’ll possibly get something again - one of the lower profile ones I’d imagine.

I would have guessed at Gougeon as well, but she’s not long taken up her new Ministerial post so probably keep her there. 

I would also expect that Matheson rather than Brown to be one of the four guys, but who knows really.

What is it about Blackford that winds up people so much? The only thing I can think of that he did that was straight up terrible was posting on twitter that some guy should go back to England during lockdown when he lived in Scotland, but that was ages after he'd been sending some folk nuts. Is there something else? I mean I know he personally killed Charles Kennedy but other than that?

Just looks like the cartoon landlord who’s nice in a children’s show before you grow up and realise he was counter-revolutionary.

What is it about Blackford that winds up people so much? The only thing I can think of that he did that was straight up terrible was posting on twitter that some guy should go back to England during lockdown when he lived in Scotland, but that was ages after he'd been sending some folk nuts. Is there something else? I mean I know he personally killed Charles Kennedy but other than that?
The same people who don't like Blackford are the same people who don't like "that wummin" - when challenged they can't actually tell you why.

Was it blackford that was the snp group leader at wm when cameron went after brexit? Think there was a lot of bacon flavoured seethe at him being seen to be attacking the outgoing pm instead of serving up shitey platitudes as was customary.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

It's because Blackford is a Hibs fan.

The anti Hibernian agenda, the last acceptable form of bigotry, has now permeated society after being allowed to fester for far too long by the moderators of this forum.

23 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's because Blackford is a Hibs fan.

The anti Hibernian agenda, the last acceptable form of bigotry, has now permeated society after being allowed to fester for far too long by the moderators of this forum.

Rightly so.

Edited by strichener

5 hours ago, Pato said:

It’s his appalling Monarch of the Glen look and awful humble crofter patter. He’s just a greedy man who’s made copious amounts of money in the City whilst blaming all Scotland’s woes on England. The same England where he’s amassed his fortune. Dreadful man.