General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 13/02/2021 at 11:04, Billy Jean King said:
On 13/02/2021 at 10:45, sophia said:
I had a read of this piece in the Holyrood magazine and Jenny Marra's impression of "Scottish exceptionalism".
I was genuinely puzzled by this and setting aside the possibility that she was making a parting and partisan political shot, my take is that the substantial driver in our civic confidence and the move to self governance is the discovery that there is another way beyond the tired obsessions of empire, battle glories, monarchy and ruling the waves. Simply put, the rejection of the fallacious construct of the right that dominates and is underpinned by another type of exceptionalism.
Is there really a significant cohort that subscribes to the idea that Scotland is exceptional?

Isn't that just a (lazy) view of anything connected to the independence movement from outwith it's confines as opposed to some heart felt belief. I always get the feeling listening to any politician opposed to Scottish Independence that they see the movement as colloquial, extreme almost like some sort of lunatic fringe, yet if polls are accurate it is now pretty much the majority view and hence the mainstream. It's as if the attitudes to Scotland as a "nation" are mentally stuck in the early 1970s, it's Conservative with a capital C regardless of the party lines outwith the SNP and Greens.

Scotland must be one of the few countries nowadays still  governed by another country.

34 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sandy

Fine by me.
Scottish and British and a citizen of the UK.

What more could you ask for?

Being an EU Member State in line with the democratic choice of the people of Scotland?

Having full fiscal autonomy?

Having the same opportunity to elect a government which reflects the way Scotland votes - along the same lines as Ireland, Norway or almost every other country (yes,  country) on the planet?

That would be a start. 

On 17/02/2021 at 12:51, HTG said:

Being an EU Member State in line with the democratic choice of the people of Scotland?

Having full fiscal autonomy?

Having the same opportunity to elect a government which reflects the way Scotland votes - along the same lines as Ireland, Norway or almost every other country (yes,  country) on the planet?

That would be a start. 

You can both feel British and not wish to be governed by Westminster. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:
It also reminds me that Nicola seems to have forgotten about her publicly owned, not for profit power supplier that she promised to create during this parliament....

I think it's more likely they saw what was happening in the energy market and decided, correctly, that it would be a bad idea.

How dare she.

Proof positive that Farage supporters are dicks and SNP voters are the most rational, sensible people.

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-supporters-least-likely-to-take-up-covid-vaccine-among-voters_uk_603763d0c5b67259f893d5c7

8F345670-1446-473B-ACB0-CF01680E21C8.thumb.jpeg.6924f4f928835ff6032ad5773578f930.jpeg

Inflation is just a conspiracy invented by liberal elites. $6 is $6 is $6.

Related - I did enjoy recently hearing about how the big boys like Walmart and Amazon are all in favour of raising minimum wage to $15/hr because they think it'll kill off the small businesses they "compete" with and then they can do what they want later. Capitalism, eh? What larks.

Very worrying graph.
However, there is one mitigating feature, I suppose, which is the much lower level of mortgage interest rates.
Way back in the distant past, I recall paying mortgage rates of around 15% at one particular time.
Yes, Black Wednesday 16th September 1992 when Tory Chancellor Norman Lamont of John Major's UK Government was humiliatingly forced to withdraw sterling from the ERM. The party of fiscal rectitude and all that.....

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

EvPHVJJXAAEkhk9?format=jpg&name=900x900

There’s validity in the point but it’s a bit misleading.  You need to factor in the quality and size of houses, facilities, quality of construction, thermal efficiency, etc.  None of these are covered by a simple comparison.

BTW I’m not disputing the difficulty of people getting on the housing ladder due to price increases.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s validity in the point but it’s a bit misleading.  You need to factor in the quality and size of houses, facilities, quality of construction, thermal efficiency, etc.  None of these are covered by a simple comparison.

BTW I’m not disputing the difficulty of people getting on the housing ladder due to price increases.

Except housing regulations have broadly been degraded across the UK, not enhanced.

There is an argument to be made the supply too.

Most new housing developments around Edinburgh seem to be "luxury 3 to 4 bedroom " houses costing upwards of 200k.

Apart from the Council ordered social housing renovation of Niddrie there's not much of new 1-2 bedroom housing around. Plus buy to let cnuts hoover the older stock up to rent it to bloody students.