General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

The Estonian government fell this week too. Something to do with party donors getting a government contract. Business as usual in the UK.

Where are the Panorama specials?  Oh, wait....

That said Channel 4 should be having a run at this; unless they’re keeping their powder dry.  There’s hardly a peep about England’s ‘Track and Trace’ despite the eye watering cost.  Is it because it’s been a fucking shambles?

Where are the Panorama specials?  Oh, wait....

That said Channel 4 should be having a run at this; unless they’re keeping their powder dry.  There’s hardly a peep about England’s ‘Track and Trace’ despite the eye watering cost.  Is it because it’s been a fucking shambles?

No, it's because the Queen, Help for Heroes, The One Show, William and Kate, Fleabag, Andrew Lloyd-Webber, 'Spoons, The Great British Bake-Off, Babs 'n Cilla (God Bless 'Em), Love Thy Neighbour and Colonel Tom. And Boris, 'e's one of us.

Stumbled upon this earlier.  Excellent piece that certainly has parallels in the U.K. and probably most/all developed western societies.  

http://bostonreview.net/class-inequality-education-opportunity/richard-v-reeves-dream-hoarders-how-americas-top-20-percent

Stumbled upon this earlier.  Excellent piece that certainly has parallels in the U.K. and probably most/all developed western societies.  

http://bostonreview.net/class-inequality-education-opportunity/richard-v-reeves-dream-hoarders-how-americas-top-20-percent

Good read that. As one pertinent example, removing charitable status for independent schools in Scotland is long overdue, but no-one seems to have the political cojones. Thus the canard of kids from middle-class homes 'swamping' state schools is allowed to run. I'd take that risk.

21 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Article about rents dropping because of COVID. Just look at the Edinburgh graph even compared to London. 5% increase in rents every year is a fucking joke. I hope as many landlords as possible are ruined by this.

https://www.ft.com/content/2d81120b-da42-4e3e-a165-8fc20f415cbd

image.thumb.png.cbbc7685a509e60b0af15b2186e243ed.png

Don’t see that necessarily being beneficial to the rented housing sector nor those dependent upon it for a place to stay.

I don't lay the blame with the landlords. I should be able to rent the things I own to people for whatever price I choose. Surely it's a simple supply/demand issue which should be fixed by increasing supply and modifying incentives.

Expecting humans to just leave money on the table is utopian nonsense. You can't blame landlords for being rational actors, the blame lies with the council/government.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't lay the blame with the landlords. I should be able to rent the things I own to people for whatever price I choose. Surely it's a simple supply/demand issue which should be fixed by increasing supply and modifying incentives.

Expecting humans to just leave money on the table is utopian nonsense. You can't blame landlords for being rational actors, the blame lies with the council/government.

People buying up the housing stock they don't intend to live in artificially raises the prices, blocking other buyers and raising the demand for rented property and the rent they can charge. The laws and taxes should be changed but it doesn't excuse the predatory exploitation.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

why not?

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

A lot of landlords going bankrupt because of their rational action would result in plenty of supply.

That’s cloud cuckoo stuff.  These properties wouldn’t suddenly become free.  Instead there would be a hiatus in the market, possibly quite a lengthy one.  Probably wouldn’t affect sitting tenants but very likely to impact on people looking to rent.

Other potential landlords might benefit from lower prices but I’d imagine the chances of that being passed on to tenants as being limited.

I don’t see every private landlord as being a predator though undoubtedly many are, but a fair and equitable private sector rented market will only be achieved through political action not the vagaries of the market.

FWIW I looked very closely at this sector of the economy about six years ago, I found aspects of it very unattractive and decided it was not for me.  It’s also not nearly as attractive as other investment options for anyone with half a brain.  That said it fulfils a role and I cannot think of any country anywhere that doesn’t have private sector landlords as part of its rental sector.

50 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

A lot of landlords going bankrupt because of their rational action would result in plenty of supply.

Not necessarily. (or rather, more supply doesn't necessarily mean lower prices)

Some argue that taxing rental income or buy-to-let transactions will lead some landlords to sell up, reducing the supply of rented housing and thus raising rents. The flaw with such reasoning is that it looks at the rental market in isolation and doesn’t consider the market in the round.

Assume that the total supply of dwellings (= tulip bulbs), doesn’t respond to price movements. The physical stock is fixed in the short run because it’s hard to convert individual flats or houses into business or other uses. Since demand for housing services (= flowers) hasn’t changed, rents shouldn’t change either.

Some landlords will sell up as letting becomes less lucrative. But at the end of each sales chain is either another landlord or someone who was previously renting. If it’s another landlord, aggregate rental supply and demand are both unchanged, and so are rents. If it’s a new owner occupier, the supply of rented property has shrunk by one, but so has the number of renters. The tightness of the rental market and thus rents are unchanged.

Obviously this isn't totally analogous to your example. As an aside I think the issue with a lot of "this will solve the affordability crisis" takes is that they're not particularly realistic; they assume that we're starting from a blank canvas rather than a society where the view that housing is a valuable financial asset is firmly entrenched. 

Edited by yoda

55 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

1980363370_tenor(24).gif.49e711893d86f44e6c791dc074b980c7.gif

far and away the worst human being ive ever encountered in my lifetime (cocaine addict so you probably know the type, w/o going into it all i have heard horror stories of him being pointlessly cruel and petty to homeless people along with other cunty behaviour like throwing a handful of coppers at taxi drivers for their tip) is some sort of "property investor" that also runs wolf of wall street esque training courses to teach people how to more effectively abuse the property market. All for people like him getting gulag'd tbh, world would immediately be a better place

I'm sure a lot of private landlords are nice enough people. My views have perhaps been coloured somewhat because I've had a few cases who've been tenants of chancing arseholes, and dealt with a query from a PL who was absolutely irate that for some weird reason having an asset worth £120,000 meant he wasn't entitled to Universal Credit. Enjoyed that one almost as much as the PL who was going to complain about me when he found out he'd be getting sweet f**k all when I put his former tenant through a bankruptcy. Sweet.

I'm sure a lot of private landlords are nice enough people. My views have perhaps been coloured somewhat because I've had a few cases who've been tenants of chancing arseholes, and dealt with a query from a PL who was absolutely irate that for some weird reason having an asset worth £120,000 meant he wasn't entitled to Universal Credit. Enjoyed that one almost as much as the PL who was going to complain about me when he found out he'd be getting sweet f**k all when I put his former tenant through a bankruptcy. Sweet.

I’ve renting from a landlord. He had to move for work and was given a house in relation to it. When we met him he’d said he’s 10 years left of working life and he didn’t want to sell his place then have to try and find somewhere else when he retired and had to leave the accommodation he’s getting from work.

No issue with someone in that position because whenever we’ve had an issue he’s sorted it immediately.

These p***ks who prey on the weak and vulnerable, hoard properties and charge extortionate rent should all be shot.

I’ve renting from a landlord. He had to move for work and was given a house in relation to it. When we met him he’d said he’s 10 years left of working life and he didn’t want to sell his place then have to try and find somewhere else when he retired and had to leave the accommodation he’s getting from work.

No issue with someone in that position because whenever we’ve had an issue he’s sorted it immediately.

These p***ks who prey on the weak and vulnerable, hoard properties and charge extortionate rent should all be shot.
Wankers who hoover up ex-council houses, Charge double the going rate of LA rent and advertise with "No DSS" should be first up against the wall.