General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 24/11/2020 at 16:22, jakedee said:

Watching the Parliamentary chanel just now, and that absolute clown John Redwood re-writing history and blaming the de - industrialisation of the UK in the 80's/90's on the EU.

Clown.

Reality - the economic forces that were the main cause of de-industrialisation in the developed world in the 1980s happened to Europe too. What happened in the Ruhr, in North East France, in Wallonia and elsewhere was that governments - and the EEC - spent colossal amounts of money helping the regions to transition out of old-school coal-howking and metal-bashing into new industries. Germany went hi-tech while France went more for plastics, chemicals etc. I do like my Bosch washing machine and dishwasher. Today those regions are massive employers with decent-paying jobs and poverty is low compared with us, though there are obviously some places that aren't exactly prospering.

In the UK the government abandoned its industrial areas. They got nothing more than Jobcentres for jobs that didn't exist. There was no real investment in skills or new industries and now most of our post-industrial land is covered in housing, leisure facilities or is wasteland, while local communities are riddled with poverty and addiction. Those made unemployed were expected to up sticks, move to London and become marketing consultants, and the money saved in comparison with our neighbours went on tax cuts.. What's particularly galling is that it was these places that made Britain the powerful, and then the parts of the country that got rich off their backs simply abandoned them.

France, Belgium and Germany - which had to absorb East Germany too - all have considerably higher GDP per person than the UK, where poverty continues to hold us back, so I think we know who got it right in the long run.

None of this should be open to much debate, it's just history.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I was talking about him in work the other day as someone I work with knew of him from working up in Skye. He's legendary up those parts.

PETER DOW IS SINGLE

The Germans have a word for this. (mainstream press have covered that a Hungarian MEP was busted at a sex party, they have not confirmed the gay part, that is coming from independent journalists in Hungary but they have a good rep)

Edited by dorlomin