General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I've just found out Mark Drakeford studied classics at Uni.
This means he can call Boris a cnut in Latin. And in a Welsh accent too.
Iechyd da!

I tried looking that up but got sidetracked

“Mater tua tam obesa est ut cum Romae est urbs habet octo colles!”

Is apparently

“You’re mum’s so fat that when she goes to Rome it’s got 8 hills”

Deutsche bank reckons we should tax people that are working from home.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/11/staff-who-work-from-home-after-pandemic-should-pay-more-tax?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1605121991

😐 

the cynic in me wonders if they're panicking over their commercial property interests and want to make sure it's working people that eat the most shit.

edit:

"Alternatively, the report suggests the tax could be paid by employers who do not provide their workforce with a permanent desk."

Hmmmm. HMMMM.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

17 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Like f**k.  Folk working from home should be charging their companies for use of the premises.

On 31/10/2020 at 07:23, Baxter Parp said:

I know this is old but I was just browsing before the Scotland game.

FWIW, mean as an average is a poor way to compare salaries. I imagine if they used median the UK would drop in comparison with neighbours, because we have a lot of very high earners skewing the numbers. 

Also, that's after tax but before others costs and benefits. For instance, childcare is much more expensive in the UK and more supported elsewhere, and accommodation is expensive here. When you look at the disposable income in a typical household, the UK is well behind Belgium, Netherlands, France etc.

And finally... regional income disparity in the UK is mental. The median income in West Wales is the same as in the Warsaw region. It's massively unbalanced towards London and the south east. 

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

FWIW, mean as an average is a poor way to compare salaries. I imagine if they used median the UK would drop in comparison with neighbours, because we have a lot of very high earners skewing the numbers. 

Also, that's after tax but before others costs and benefits. For instance, childcare is much more expensive in the UK and more supported elsewhere, and accommodation is expensive here. When you look at the disposable income in a typical household, the UK is well behind Belgium, Netherlands, France etc.

And finally... regional income disparity in the UK is mental. The median income in West Wales is the same as in the Warsaw region. It's massively unbalanced towards London and the south east. 

Didn’t see this first time around.  The Portugal one astounds me; salaries more akin to Eastern Europe!

21 hours ago, GordonS said:

Home ownership could be a player in the disposable income figures, Germany for instance has far less home ownership than the UK.