General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Margaret Thatcher as Education Secretary removed free milk from schools,  the tag Thatcher Milk Snatcher followed her throughout her political career.

Possibly this school meals fiasco will be similar for the clown.

Worth remembering that it did her absolutely no harm whatsoever, and she went on to become one of Britain's most successful political leaders.

The public like a bit of cruelty towards the plebs. Keeps them in their place.

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Thankfully not in Scotland.

and for those of us that maintain that there is little in the way of difference on this island, the hard fact that north of the Tweed a fifth vote for them but it goes south when it sinks in that elsewhere getting on for a half of everyone think this is a reasonable course of action.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

and for those of us that maintain that there is little in the way of difference on this island, the hard fact that north of the Tweed a fifth vote for them but it goes south when it sinks in that elsewhere getting on for a half of everyone think this is a reasonable course of action.

Anyone who suggests that there are not different political values between Scotland and England has not paid any attention to voting patterns since the late 1950s.

Interesting programme on BBC Parliament at lunchtime where they showed the Feb 1974 General Election coverage when Harold Wilson eventually won with just a few seats but not an overall majority, Alistair Burnet was the BBC anchor and he and his colleagues along with all the tories interviewed all spoke with clipped southern counties accents, how things have changed.

The arrogance from Heath when interviewed as he was at that point PM and you could see the contempt he had towards the BBC reporter for daring to even ask what you could see Heath regarded as 'impertinent questions of the Prime Minister'.

And to cap it all the Phoney Knob Thorpe, interviewed as the results were coming in, arrogantly replying that he might consider a coalition hinting 'only if he secured a ministerial job'

The best of the night though was the SNP gaining from 1 to seven seats  and Winnie Ewing taking Moray and Nairn from Gordon Campbell the then tory Secretary of State for Scotland.

This was the same Gordon Campbell who though urged by the PM Heath absolutely refused to pump oil revenues into a failing Scottish economy at a time when oil prices were going through the roof, all of this was released under the 30 year rule where it was revealed he fecked with the Scottish Fishing Fleet and also proposed 'Exceptional measures to force the Shetland Isles Council to accept an oil terminal without financial benefit to the islands.

And they continued plundering the oil revenues for Westmisters benefit to this day, Scotland lost billions and we all know the industrial devastation our country has suffered.

14 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Laughed out loud at this. They've 100% done some modelling that says this extends the life of a boomer by 2 weeks and will increase their share price by 3 basis points.

THEY HAVE A RARE EYE CONDITION YOU UTTER TRUMPET

5 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Ireland will have a small number of very well paid google/stripe etc folk to be fair. Dublin seems to be every bit as unaffordable as London these days.

The person I am jealous of is @Ross. mind you it costs him 800 notes to service his motor.

I wouldn’t get out my bed for 5k a month...

ETA: From what I have heard from others in the financial services industry, Dublin is more expensive relative to earnings than London. The costs have not far off caught up but the wages aren’t quite there yet. A lot of the folk I deal with at other banks have been shifted from London to Dublin. They seem happy enough with the relocation package but I think they have stayed on a London wage as part of the deal.

Edited by Ross.

19 hours ago, Ross. said:

I wouldn’t get out my bed for 5k a month...

ETA: From what I have heard from others in the financial services industry, Dublin is more expensive relative to earnings than London. The costs have not far off caught up but the wages aren’t quite there yet. A lot of the folk I deal with at other banks have been shifted from London to Dublin. They seem happy enough with the relocation package but I think they have stayed on a London wage as part of the deal.

^^^ Low paid sex worker.

On a totally different note, latest newsletter from the Humanist Society shows most folk in Scotland support assisted dying.