General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 16/10/2020 at 11:28, Granny Danger said:

The speaker has banned the sale of alcohol in the Commons bars.

George Foulkes will be desperately hoping the HoL does not follow suit.

I thought you were joking in suggesting the Palace of Westminster had a bar for MPs and a second one for Lords. Then in looking it up I see that it is referred to as having "a few" and "several" bars. now I assume that there are main bars and then there are perhaps inconsequential places that nevertheless still serve booze but FFS, what a place. Most if not all Government Departments on Whitehall and throughout the country had their bars removed about a decade ago. Far be it for this place with their annual hike in salaries to be in any way representative of the country........and how much spent on its ongoing renovations I(billions easily found I suggest) n a time of austerity, universal credit and pandemics? what a feckin shower.....

On 18/10/2020 at 14:36, KingRocketman II said:

I thought you were joking in suggesting the Palace of Westminster had a bar for MPs and a second one for Lords. Then in looking it up I see that it is referred to as having "a few" and "several" bars. now I assume that there are main bars and then there are perhaps inconsequential places that nevertheless still serve booze but FFS, what a place. Most if not all Government Departments on Whitehall and throughout the country had their bars removed about a decade ago. Far be it for this place with their annual hike in salaries to be in any way representative of the country........and how much spent on its ongoing renovations I(billions easily found I suggest) n a time of austerity, universal credit and pandemics? what a feckin shower.....

The bars and restaurants are heavily subsidised.  Check out these prices, and remember this is central London:

https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/mdr-main-10.09.19.pdf

Just now, DiegoDiego said:
38 minutes ago, doulikefish said:
Loads of tories standing up and given speeches about why the kids from the poor and needy should not have a school meal over xmas should be played on a loop the shower of c***s 

Because the schools are closed, surely?

Marcus Rashfords scheme that happened in England over easter,labour put a bill in place so it would be the same deal over the xmas period tories voting it down 

Marcus Rashfords scheme that happened in England over easter,labour put a bill in place so it would be the same deal over the xmas period tories voting it down 
Ah, I was living over the seas at that point so don't know about any of that. Thanks for enlightening me.

You have to love the brass neck of these c***s clutching their pearls at Angela Rayner calling one of them "scum" at the same time as they condemn impoverished parents for not feeding their kids and refusing to implement the barest of measures to alleviate children's hunger. Would honestly love to [redacted] these c***s, [parody] them and [in the game] every one I see.

Edited by NotThePars

On 18/10/2020 at 14:36, KingRocketman II said:

About 20 years ago I was on a course in Whitehall, and the last department there with a bar was DFID. We went for the pub quiz. I think the last bar in a civil service building in Scotland disappeared by the mid 1990s, my guess is HMRC were the final hold-outs.

Using public money to subsidise alcohol at an in-house bar for elected officials on a minimum of £80k plus expenses is heinous.

Loads of tories standing up and given speeches about why the kids from the poor and needy should not have a school meal over xmas should be played on a loop the shower of c***s 
How evil and twisted do you have to be to vote to starve children?! Those c***s have blood on their hands.

41 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

They're just doing what their principal constituency, facebook radicalised pensioners, want. The real fun and games will begin when they have to break the triple lock.

You could extend that out to the millions of vicious thickos down south who rely on the state but believe Boris is going to hammer everyone except them.

2 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I'm still disappointed Rashford took the MBE, he should have told them to ram it up their arse.

I always lose a bit of respect for folk who take these things, in the few cases I had any to begin with.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

yes; pensioners.

There's a good few younger ones as well. Used to work with a girl down there that was like a living Daily Mail comments section. Took benefits herself but always voted Tory because of scroungers with "widescreen TVs, booze, fags, etc"

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

aye but those folk are a tiny number compared to the grey vote. You only have to look at the list of top baby names each year to realise 'working class' is a vanishingly small constituency these days.

True. Pensioners are by some distance the biggest problem with the UK.