General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Blackford quick enough to call for Cummings to resign but now his miscreant MP has to consider her position and do the right thing. Expected nothing less of the cretin.

Do you honestly believe that there is a gap between these 2 statements? Cummings could have been sacked by the Conservative party but they doubled down on him. Ferrier can't be sacked from her seat by the SNP but has had the whip withdrawn and no longer sits as an SNP MP. But you know that of course. If Cummings had an ounce of decency he'd have chucked it.  If Ferrier has an ounce of decency, she'll chuck it. She will, hopefully, be charged for her stupidity. Don't let that stop you building a wee set of gallows though. 

46 minutes ago, Donathan said:

You do realise that she almost certainly doesn’t know how to drive a train, right?

Yeah, yeah and when I suggest Donald Trump's infected advisor should have swapped places with the pilot on Air Force One - well - they didn't like that idea either. 

9 minutes ago, HTG said:

Do you honestly believe that there is a gap between these 2 statements? Cummings could have been sacked by the Conservative party but they doubled down on him. Ferrier can't be sacked from her seat by the SNP but has had the whip withdrawn and no longer sits as an SNP MP. But you know that of course. If Cummings had an ounce of decency he'd have chucked it.  If Ferrier has an ounce of decency, she'll chuck it. She will, hopefully, be charged for her stupidity. Don't let that stop you building a wee set of gallows though. 

I agree in the main with your sentiments, but these are difficult and worrying times for many of us and I personally feel that she crossed a line knowing full well she was travelling south with symptoms and then to compound the issue she made a return journey on public transport knowing she was then diagnosed as positive.

As an SNP member I feel her behaviour in endangering the health of the travelling public places her position as untenable and if she does not resign she must be removed from the party and a BE called in her constituency.

3 hours ago, Elric said:

Blackford quick enough to call for Cummings to resign but now his miscreant MP has to consider her position and do the right thing. Expected nothing less of the cretin.

You don't know much about politics, do you?

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I agree in the main with your sentiments, but these are difficult and worrying times for many of us and I personally feel that she crossed a line knowing full well she was travelling south with symptoms and then to compound the issue she made a return journey on public transport knowing she was then diagnosed as positive.

As an SNP member I feel her behaviour in endangering the health of the travelling public places her position as untenable and if she does not resign she must be removed from the party and a BE called in her constituency.

She can be removed from the party, she cannot be forced out as an MP by the party.  Do you not know this?

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

Not wilful? She knew she had a positive test result when she set off. Do you think she fell onto the train?

Imagine you'd been in the same carriage as her.

She was only following British Rail advice...

51fNeN6NsjL._AC_.jpg

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

How could a by election be called in her constituency unless she resigns?

50 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

If she is suspended by the commons for more than 2 weeks (ironically enough) that is grounds for a recall petition to start. One of the DUP ones nearly got skelped on this basis for failing to declare by bribes, though the mega geniuses in charge restricted the number of places one could go to sign said petition to 3 which I'm sure had no effect on the outcome.

I know that but I don't think that's what they meant?

There's no precedent here so it will be very interesting to see what the standards committee do. If she gets the ban then you'd imagine Labour & the Tories would work hard to get the necessary number of signatures.

I wouldn’t resign in Ferrier’s position. Her political career is over regardless of any ‘decency’ she shows at this stage, may as well take the £80k plus expenses for the next four years if they can’t get the signatures to force a by-election.

Definitely a problem with the system. Look at that Labour MP for Peterborough who managed to cling on from prison. They got rid of her in the end but I’m pretty sure she’d been released by that time.

3 hours ago, Paco said:

I wouldn’t resign in Ferrier’s position. Her political career is over regardless of any ‘decency’ she shows at this stage, may as well take the £80k plus expenses for the next four years if they can’t get the signatures to force a by-election.

Definitely a problem with the system. Look at that Labour MP for Peterborough who managed to cling on from prison. They got rid of her in the end but I’m pretty sure she’d been released by that time.

If I was her I would self isolate and keep radio silence. Then after two weeks, apologise and say she is disappointed that certain members of the SNP have privately briefed against her and given out private information of her family. And she will submit to the party disciplinary body and not veiled threats.

Make the SNP chuck her but remind them if they do she will be shouting about Derek Mackey if they try to organise any recall action.

Then wring out whatever she can too. Get her close relatives employed as her office manager etc. 4+ years of MP salary, then also stand as an independent to defend her seat to get a bigger pay off too.

Also don't forget there were Tory ministers showing symptoms in the Commons back in April and f**k all happened to them.

4 hours ago, Paco said:

I'm as cynical as you can get but I wouldn't try to cling onto a job after getting on a long distance train knowing I was carrying Covid. That wasn't a misjudgement, it was deliberately choosing to put other lives at risk for the sake of personal convenience. You have to hope she was legless and didn't know what she was doing. Still zero excuse for it though, never mind what Cummings and others have done.

If I was her I would self isolate and keep radio silence. Then after two weeks, apologise and say she is disappointed that certain members of the SNP have privately briefed against her and given out private information of her family. And she will submit to the party disciplinary body and not veiled threats.
Make the SNP chuck her but remind them if they do she will be shouting about Derek Mackey if they try to organise any recall action.
Then wring out whatever she can too. Get her close relatives employed as her office manager etc. 4+ years of MP salary, then also stand as an independent to defend her seat to get a bigger pay off too.
Also don't forget there were Tory ministers showing symptoms in the Commons back in April and f**k all happened to them.
A moral vacuum.

19 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
2 hours ago, Jim McLean said:

A moral vacuum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She has Covid and despite breaking the rules no one seems to be bothered about her health. They are more interested in using her for their own political ends.

I didn't realise she was 60. Obviously no one has mentioned she is in a higher risk group either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
She has Covid and despite breaking the rules no one seems to be bothered about her health. They are more interested in using her for their own political ends.
I didn't realise she was 60. Obviously no one has mentioned she is in a higher risk group either.

I've heard leonard and sturgeon discussing the issue and both mentioned her health before criticising her actions.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
53 minutes ago, Jim McLean said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've heard leonard and sturgeon discussing the issue and both mentioned her health before criticising her actions.

If they have then fair enough. It wasn't part of the news i watched. Just Sturgeon, Ross and Leonard condemning her and Boris waffling.

10 hours ago, Paco said:

Plus pension. From what I know of her background she's never getting pay like this again, she's 60 years old and there's no way she's turning down quarter of a million quid, plus pension and expenses, for nothing.

You need a sentence of a year to get booted out, and you really have to be a bajin to get that. Less than that and you can still be recalled. I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrier gets charged with culpable & reckless conduct, though she'd have to be pretty unlucky to get the jail for it.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m astounded that people are finding sympathy for her.  Her actions were totally reckless and jeopardised fùck knows how many other people.

I have sympathy to the extent I hope she gets over the illness quickly. She's not Donald Trump.