General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

1 hour ago, speckled tangerine said:

Back in my postie days he and his wife lived on my walk round the corner from Meadowbank. This must have been on the run up to the Scottish elections in 2007. It must have been his first go at getting elected and his missus was standing too. The election material was a good earner then and you'd post it through with all the other households. 

He lived on in a ground floor flat and I'd posted some election stuff through his door before delivering up the rest of the stair. When I came back down this wide eyed lunatic was standing there hand outstretched with an SNP and Labour flyer wanting me to take them back. I said no bother not really wanting to engage and an easy life before getting on. Then he starts asking me about who I was going to vote for and who everybody in the delivery office was voting for. I told him, although it was nothing to do with him I was voting SNP and that a few round the d.o. were thinking the same.

He then went on a bizarre rant about how "Salmond was a danger" and how the Liberal Democrats were the only option. I made my excuses and left.

It was only some time later (he lost) I saw him on some show years later and realised who the bam had been. A very strange guy.

I was never a postie, but any time I put out election literature in blocks of flats I’d start at the top and work down to avoid the fuckwit element.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I was never a postie, but any time I put out election literature in blocks of flats I’d start at the top and work down to avoid the fuckwit element.

😄

I wish we could have done that. But if you start on the ground floor and work up you can catch any missorts back on the way down. Thick bundles with post and election shite then- when folk still posted letters.

My first impressions about him - an arrogant oddball- were correct though! 😉

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

!f**k! !BILL GATES!

Bill might be down for that.

I love that one of them has something blacked out. Wouldn't want to look stupid by having an embarrassing mistake on your piece of cardboard.

4 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Rennie is harmless and I do genuinely look forward to whatever bizarre photo op he does before elections.

Cole Hamilton is a creep and is for the watching.

I actually think Rennie is probably more aware of the ridiculousness of the whole thing than he lets on. The alternative is frightening

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Mainly about issues in England but the 12 hour shift identified as the main reason is in use in Scotland too. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/23/growing-numbers-of-nhs-nurses-quit-within-three-years-study-finds

This quote  further cemented my impression Tories are not people.

I've read that quoted statement about 40 times and read it out to someone and I still don't get how anyone reached that conclusion

On 21/09/2020 at 08:21, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Once you hit that level (in either public or private sector) it's impossible to f**k up enough to truly harm your career if you can talk a good game and convince the people you need to that you will serve their interests. 

All the folk at that level are basically extremely incentivised to make sure it never becomes anywhere close to a meritocracy.... for ridiculously obvious reasons.

On 20/09/2020 at 10:23, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Rennie is harmless and I do genuinely look forward to whatever bizarre photo op he does before elections.

His Harry Potter photo op on Cresswell Lane in Glasgow was a sight to behold. Wee hat, broomstick and jumping in the air. 

Also, he and some Lib cronies had another photo op to make some point about failing education standards with them (if I recall correctly) scrawling some basic sums on a pavement with chalk. Cue a number of jokes on twitter about this, with one guy replacing the chalkings  with a ouija board and observing the Lib Dems and wee Willie were desperately trying to conjure up some relevance. Made me spit my coffee out laughing. 

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

His Harry Potter photo op on Cresswell Lane in Glasgow was a sight to behold. Wee hat, broomstick and jumping in the air. 

Also, he and some Lib cronies had another photo op to make some point about failing education standards with them (if I recall correctly) scrawling some basic sums on a pavement with chalk. Cue a number of jokes on twitter about this, with one guy replacing the chalkings  with a ouija board and observing the Lib Dems and wee Willie were desperately trying to conjure up some relevance. Made me spit my coffee out laughing. 

wee willie 1.jpg

wee willie 2.jpg

16 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I remember seeing a Delorean driving along the dual carriageway towards Kirkcaldy a few years ago. Turns out the Lib Dems were doing a photo-op with the Delorean at Queensferry.

He said: “It’s back to the future with their campaign.”

When aides set off a smoke bomb to emulate a famous scene from the film one joker yelled: “That’s yer career Willie!”

It seemed like the most mind-bendingly stupid political points scoring act in history. Not only are you associating the SNP with the future, but with a Delorean car and the film Back to the Future. Three things which are pretty much universally liked.

Edited by Gordon EF