General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

She’s not happy with this

IMG_1355.jpg

If she thought she was going to win she would just resign.

If she had the backing of her local party she could get one of her loyalists as the candidate in the by-election and have a continuity of staff, at least until the Scottish Elections.

The staff thing is a complete redherring. She just wasn't confident of winning and did not want to take a risk.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Boris appoints 36 new peers.

All 36 appear to be worstcunts.

And to think, the BBC loves to point to dodgy regimes elsewhere that do this kind of shit, with a raised eyebrow and condescending tone. Banana Republic/Post-Soviet kleptocrat behaviour. 

22 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

And to think, the BBC loves to point to dodgy regimes elsewhere that do this kind of shit, with a raised eyebrow and condescending tone. Banana Republic/Post-Soviet kleptocrat behaviour. 

I saw Alistair Campbell saying we have become a tinpot country obviously referring to these peerages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash-for-Honours_scandal

Historical amnesia seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. People pining for the old honourable days when you really earned a knighthood by running a sugar plantation in Jamaica. 

34 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I saw Alistair Campbell saying we have become a tinpot country obviously referring to these peerages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash-for-Honours_scandal

Historical amnesia seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. People pining for the old honourable days when you really earned a knighthood by running a sugar plantation in Jamaica. 

I'm not saying the House of Lords was ever an example of moral rectitude. I think we should live in a country where we aren't governed by any of these people. And hopefully we will be, soon.

I see my local SNP branch won't be allowing my current MSP to stand for reselection due to having a penis. 
Not the branch, it was a NEC decision.

Despite the sitting MSP changing his mind about standing down, so the NEC have effectively deselected him.

What the NEC have done to Dornan is deliciously sleekit. Fair more satisfying than the open 'come on then if you think you're hard enough' issued to Cherry :thumsup2

I hope they put a transwoman on the shortlist just as an added GIRFUY

Edited by Boo Khaki

Cherry seems to be a bit of a hate figure on here.

Is it her stance with the trans stuff that's earned her that, or is there anything else folk are getting at?

She’s a privately educated middle aged lesbian from Edinburgh.

That’s not going to appeal to the P&B demographic

On 29/07/2020 at 01:49, Sunrise said:

And being so interested in campaigning for said seat that he was on BBC election night coverage in Glasgow instead of actually being out there.

Sporting a ropey af moustache too.

Three minutes in and ... boom... "Newsnat"! 

He reeks of establishment patriarchal entitlement and it was the undoing of him politically.

Thank goodness his contemporary cohorts aren't falling into the same trap.

It would be very funny if Joanna Cherry had given up her seat to become an MSP candidate and then lost the election. It would be pretty funny if Robertson loses it, given how the selection for the SNP has been hyped as a route back to Holyrood. However, the SNP will win the seat handily.

It’s always heartening to see people who act like being selected as a candidate is the ticket to office lose the actual vote - Falkirk being the best example where the Labour selection was huge news in 2013 but the SNP won the seat by about 20,000 votes.