General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

It’s maybe because I worked in the bookies in Glasgow where there’s a sizeable Chinese population but the amount of anti-Chinese racism I heard and saw was mental. Proper 19th century attitudes held by loads of otherwise reasonable people.

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It’s maybe because I worked in the bookies in Glasgow where there’s a sizeable Chinese population but the amount of anti-Chinese racism I heard and saw was mental. Proper 19th century attitudes held by loads of otherwise reasonable people.

Was that before Covid19 kicked off? It's probably much worse now.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Wait til ye see how ordinary folk treat travellers!

Was that before Covid19 kicked off? It's probably much worse now.

It was bad before but did see a lot more folk out themselves this year when the impact of Covid began to hit.

This is the average person when someone mentions travellers coming into the area

83465B4A-9F2D-4A53-9837-A3EC8ECBFB9E-4264-0000022233B8C40B.jpg

My gran (my dad's mum) was from an Irish Travelling family - I remember her telling me some of the stories about how they were treated - it was often a double whammy as they were Catholics as well - bigotry tinged racism.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

My gran (my dad's mum) was from an Irish Travelling family - I remember her telling me some of the stories about how they were treated - it was often a double whammy as they were Catholics as well - bigotry tinged racism.

You'll be proud to hear I just got some passing Irish Travellers to do the gutters and power wash the driveway, pathway and patio, all in a right state, and did an excellent job for a fair price. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

You'll be proud to hear I just got some passing Irish Travellers to do the gutters and power wash the driveway, pathway and patio, all in a right state, and did an excellent job for a fair price. 

They're all actually qualified chartered accountants but welshbairn heard the accent and knows a bargain when he sees one

"Chinky" and "Paki" definitely seem to have made a comeback as acceptable terms in recent years. I hadn't heard either in a long time until, and I do hate to use the cliche, the Brexit vote. 2016 seems to have been a very bad year for emboldening racists in the western world.

I don't think bashing Irish Travellers has ever gone out of style, though.

"Chinky" and "Paki" definitely seem to have made a comeback as acceptable terms in recent years. I hadn't heard either in a long time until, and I do hate to use the cliche, the Brexit vote. 2016 seems to have been a very bad year for emboldening racists in the western world.
I don't think bashing Irish Travellers has ever gone out of style, though.
I'm not having this.

I think some folk have always continued to use them - and slowly but surely those terms are being eradicated from our society. Too slowly for my liking because folk are reluctant to change.

I think it's just happenstance that you've heard them more in the last few years.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not having this.

I think some folk have always continued to use them - and slowly but surely those terms are being eradicated from our society. Too slowly for my liking because folk are reluctant to change.

I think it's just happenstance that you've heard them more in the last few years.

Could be. Seems a bit odd though, and came as a bit of a shock when I started noticing it. I don't even flinch anymore, it's like the old days when "Chinky" and "Paki Shop" were just what those things were called, for some people.

Might just be because I've been spending more time in Falkirk, right enough.

I did say at the time that Hibs winning the cup was a portent of doom heralding the collapse of civilisation but people just said I was mad

On reflection, the fact that I said it to them in the canned goods aisle of Tescos while dressed as Queen Victoria might not have helped

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I did say at the time that Hibs winning the cup was a portent of doom heralding the collapse of civilisation but people just said I was mad

Frankly, Cthulhu could return from his slumber, plunging the world into an endless spiral of madness, and I'd be thinking, "was this weirder, or Hibs winning the cup in 2016?"

tenor.gif

On 25/06/2020 at 07:58, thisal said:

6 years ago you said the only way Scotland would be in the EU would be to remain part of the UK.  We did and now we are out the EU and you're saying an independent Scotland can't guarantee to be in the EU. Extrapolate your predictions and Scotland will be an independent nation in the EU in 6 years.

No I didn't.

I'm a strong proponent of both the EU and the Union and my argument against both Brexit and independence is that they are dominated by a matched pair of xenophobic, wall-building arsecheeks.

45 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

No I didn't.

I'm a strong proponent of both the EU and the Union and my argument against both Brexit and independence is that they are dominated by a matched pair of xenophobic, wall-building arsecheeks.

The union stands firmly in the way of your desire to stay within the EU, chum.  What are you going to do?

8 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The union stands firmly in the way of your desire to stay within the EU, chum.  What are you going to do?

Despair at the ethno-Nationalist fuckwits on both sides of the border.

I see that Rachael Hamilton was pretty-much told to 'go home' by a cuddly 'civic nationalist' the other day.  What a shower of bigots the Natters are:

Seems like The Scotch's disdain of 'interlopers' is now extending beyond just those English b*****ds.

Why do you suppose there's such a lot of Chinese heritage people experiencing direct slurs compared to other minority ethnicities?
Are you meaning in general?

Or are you saying this is more common now?

I think people of Chinese heritage have always had to put up with slurs - although the majority of those using these terms intended no harm, and were instead showing ignorance.

I would hope and expect this problem to be gradually easing - but maybe I'm being naive.

15 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Despair at the ethno-Nationalist fuckwits on both sides of the border.

You don’t “despair” at the ethno-nationalist fuckwits south of the border. You vote for them, hero-worship them as purebloods, and are far too desperate to win their approval to question them.