General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

22 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

• Michael Portillo being touted as a frontrunner for the Tory leadership, before being whisked off the screen as word started to come through that all was not well in his totally safe
  •  

My god he loves trains.

Ooh, pleasing bitter-but-not-bothered front from Mellor. Particularly enjoyed him being chuffed he had so many consultancies and other work he did while nominally being MP for Putney, as he'd need the money to support his family now he'd lost his seat; roughly five minutes earlier, the Beeb had mentioned him having amassed a fortune of millions during his time as an MP  :lol:  I wonder if the Tories ever worked out why they took such a battering. Virtually all were claiming, "we did nothing wrong, people just wanted a change" on election night.

Ooft. Paddy Pantsdown predicting the inevitable end of the FPTP system  :shutup

4 minutes ago, Comrie said:

My god he loves trains.

He hasn't half done a job in rehabilitating himself in the public eye.

There's probably an alternate past where he kept his seat and ended up leading a right-wing revolution that would've made the current lot blush.

I always quite liked Annabel Goldie.

Polar opposite to my own political leanings, but at least she wasn't an absolute nobody like most Scottish Tories, or an absolute c**t like most other Tories.

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Polar opposite to my own political leanings, but at least she wasn't an absolute nobody like most Scottish Tories, or an absolute c**t like most other Tories.

I don't remember her looking quite so keen to eat me when in office, but Google Image Search doesn't lie...

AnnabelGoldieMSP20110510.JPG

24 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I didn’t follow politics much during her time. What I’ve seen of her since was pretty cunty and Johnsonian but maybe that came later, as a result of Scottish independence becoming a major thing. Whatever she was like as puppet for whoever ruled her party back in the day, she has become an apologist since.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-34265882
He probably thought to himself that he was fighting for his own kind in the only way available, step over someone else.
I've read it, yeah. And there's no defending what he said in his 20s. Those tactics appear abhorrent 100 years later, but like you say, I'm sure they seemed like the best tactic at the time.

We can't take historical characters out of their context. It's bad history. William Wallace is highly regarded but was quite clearly a fucking brutal individual. But he lived in brutal times - and that matters.

I'm a wee bit concerned that you think ghandi was 'probably' a good man overall. I'd say there's no question of that.

Lose perspective about what? With what consequences?

Losing perspective on the biggest issues in our society, or indeed our world.

There are still massive issues relating to poverty and human rights - where people are suffering much harsher consequences, and yet a section of the left seem so obsessed by this issue that it defines their entire politics. It is an issue that is clearly important, and reform is necessary - but i think it takes up a disproportionate amount of oxygen in Western political debate.

The problem is it's got so toxic on both extremes that it's become impossible to discuss rationally in any public way. I agree about the sport thing, it's a minefield, especially for people who were born not wholly physically male nor female, like Caster Semenya.

I'm not on social media but I've found the extreme toxicity to be coming mainly from one side - and as you say, (often highly educated or respected) people are silenced and written off as bigots. It's horribly unhealthy.
I see her waddling about my home town with her wee gang of blue rinse cronies, shes not a nice person at all.
Have you decided she's not nice based on her waddling with her pals? Seems harsh.

I never got the Goldie love-in either. Knew a couple of SNP and Labour voters who liked her for her personality etc.

She was basically just an older, slightly less abrasive Ruth Davidson.

I thought McLetchie was quite funny.

Edited by Kejan

Have you decided she's not nice based on her waddling with her pals? Seems harsh.

No ive based that on the fact ive met and engaged with her on her abhorrent political views. But just more recently seen her lording it around town with what seems to be no regret for her part in a party that is in my view essentially the physical embodiment of everything that is wrong with the UK.

You are absolutely unable to pass comment on who is obsessed with trans issues if you aren't online as that means you haven't seen people with usernames like @XXKaren76329451488 tweet 12000 times at Shon Faye, Munroe Bergdorf and Paris Lees during a global pandemic

Edited by NotThePars

Say this in your head but replace trans people with gay people, black people, whatever.
But the issue is not directly comparable, and that's far too simplistic an angle to take.

I teach history, and a lot of our focus is on the civil rights movement in the US (which is a great thing). I always bring in gay rights to the discussion - but you need to step back and look at what the issue is. What is happening at that time, and how does that compare.

These issues are not all the same. They affected people at different points and in different ways. In the west today we have a pretty tolerant society. That's not really up for debate. Can we do better, though? Absolutely.

Trans rights have rightly come into focus on the lady 10-15 years, and major strides have been made to try and ensure that options are open to all in society. The debate should continue but it needs much more light and much less heat.

There are some highly educated and respected people coming up with issues and they're being shouted down and called bigots. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable. The no platforming thing is similar - and you can see that forces on the right are making use of these issues by exaggerating them. They create a lot of anger in all sorts of people, especially those who are not normally switched on to political issues.

The blm movement is getting a huge amount of attention right now - because black Americans are being killed, fairly regularly, by the police. That's a major problem for society, and the footage is shocking It's led to an important debate about structural racism, and how we need to address this.

These things are complex, and the nature of the debate matters.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

There are some highly educated and respected people coming up with issues and they're being shouted down and called bigots.

The people I've noticed are obsessed fruitloops like the Rev Stu and Graham Linehan, mansplaining to women about how threatened they should feel, and that Unionist troll Rowling. 

The people I've noticed are obsessed fruitloops like the Rev Stu and Graham Linehan, mansplaining to women about how threatened they should feel, and that Unionist troll Rowling. 
You can't bring their other political beliefs into this as part of the criticism, especially when 2 of them are diametrically opposed.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just checked in to see if Linehan's gone back to posting about anything other than transsexuals 500 times per day, but he's now going down the, "I'm a nonbinary pangender dragon, so you can't stop me using ladies toilets!" route.

Surely only a matter of time before he's found molesting women in order to "prove a point".

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

^^^ And this right here is very much part of the problem. ^^^

You don't have to like someone to at least listen and consider what they have to say on individual subject matter.

9 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Not good news

That's truly awful and I too wish for the best of outcomes for Amy.

Reading about her challenges, her determination to prevail and then witnessing her brilliant victory was the highlight of a dark political night.

Good luck Amy!