General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

11 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Number one read article on the site:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18508709.neil-oliver-sparks-row-edward-colston-statue-claims/

I was fairly indifferent about this up until now but if the floppy haired c**t is right I'm off to get my old statue removing kit from under the stairs.

3 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Nothing like stabbing the person who made you a success in the back, based on twisted media headlines, because you couldn't be bothered to take the 5 minutes to read what they actually said.

Emma Watson tweeted "Trans people are whoever they say they are".

Well in that case, i'm trans and i'm self identifying myself as a toaster. This means i'm made out of metal. Forget science, biology and fact. That's for the transphobes.

If I was a mod I'd ban you just so I could use the "Off you pop!" line.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

in what way? like physical real world examples

Women are no longer being regarded as "women". It's now turning into "ciswomen" and "menstruators". It's an absolute insult to the entire classification of the female gender type. Women deserve better treatment than that.

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

what does it mean in real life if some people want to talk like that? what are the real world implications?

Seriously?
There's a reason we don't call certain groups of people certain things anymore, because it's considered offensive. This is no different. If we allow people to talk like that, then we're taking a huge step backwards.

47 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Women are no longer being regarded as "women". It's now turning into "ciswomen" and "menstruators". It's an absolute insult to the entire classification of the female gender type. Women deserve better treatment than that.

Do you actually know anyone who talks like that other than a few oddballs on twitter that the Bath fuckwit and his pals dug up?

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you actually know anyone who talks like that other than a few oddballs on twitter that the Bath fuckwit and his pals dug up?

Honestly, Campbell must look at his BTL comments these days and think, 'yup, I've fucked it' .... had a swatch at his latest diatribe, apparently gay cabals are the problem:

Mist001 says:

Now do people see why I refer to that women as ‘Mrs. Murrell’? She doesn’t deserve the respect of being called by her preferred title.

I might as well come out and say it, I believe the very top of the Scottish government is being run by a gay cabal and that’s where all these ideas are coming from. Scottish politics is rife with gay characters. Just a matter of two or three years ago, every political party was led by a gay man or woman.

Kezia Dugdale (Labour) was even shacked up with Jenny Gilruth (SNP). Nobody will convince me otherwise that there wasn’t any cross communication between the higher echelons of Labour and the higher echelons of the SNP.

If being gay was an illness or a disease, Scottish politics would be regarded as having a ‘cluster’.

That’s how all these ‘radical’ ideas are originating.

I don’t find gay people offensive. What I find offensive is the insidious use of nepotism within Scottish politics and using that to force through extremely marginal policies that the average person in the street would balk at if they knew what was going on.

Particular fan of the first sentence in the last paragraph there. Sure you fucking don't.

Edited by renton

On 10/06/2020 at 16:54, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Cervical cancer death rates are far higher in transmen than ciswomen. There appears to be no link between the hormone treatment or behavioural factors. The reason is so many services are open to women but aren't to transmen. The medical literature and law, etc. specifically refers to "women". There's a weird issue now where transwomen, with no uterus or cervix, etc., have the right to get medical treatment and examinations for cancers or diseases they physically can't get and transmen can't. (ETA: AFAIK this is more of an American phenomenon than in the UK. So we might not have the disparity they do over there)

There's mounting pressure to address this issue by updating the words to be more inclusive of trans people. All the bluster about "erasing women" or "PC gone mad" is, in my opinion, less important than the mental and physical health of trans people.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The above is one example where people speak like this.  Ignoring the context of the post, which makes a very valid point, the literal definition of terms becomes more and more important as people try to recategorise the human race.

47 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Just explain who gets harmed and in what circumstances

See above example.

49 minutes ago, strichener said:

The above is one example where people speak like this.  Ignoring the context of the post, which makes a very valid point, the literal definition of terms becomes more and more important as people try to recategorise the human race.

See above example.

You're talking about a tiny amount of people just wanting to identify as the way they feel. It affects very few others. The whole thing has blown up out of American teenagers successfully teasing feminists, and turning into a mad twitter loop with hysterics like Wings and Linehan jumping on the bandwagon with some well meaning nutters and trolls on the other side.

26 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

What do you suppose it is about this furore that seems to so comprehensively destroy the minds of the terf side?

Like if we take Linehan and Wings as our data points, there's no way out for Rowling is there? She'll just get dragged further and further into the quicksand with her posts till she's an isolated and unloved Twitter hermit like them.

I'm also fascinated to see who her alt account is that she accidentally pasted the anti trans DM onto her main Twitter account into that response to a child's picture. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it turned out to be that spanner guy after all.

I don't get why she thinks she suddenly getting attacked, she's been banging about this shit for years. That tweet was hysterical, for those who missed it she was judging some children's drawings and accidentally posted this. (can't find a screen shot with the kid's drawing included, money can probably purge the internet).

"I love this truly fabulous Ickabog, with its bat ears, mismatched eyes, and terrifying bloodstained teeth! In court, Wolf claimed the Facebook post in which he’d said he wanted to ‘f**** up some TERFs’ was just ‘bravado’. #TheIckabog."

Edited by welshbairn

what does it mean in real life if some people want to talk like that? what are the real world implications?
Is there not a danger that we lose perspective, when so much energy is focused on stuff like this?

There's surely a line somewhere, where social media campaigners lose the general story of the wider public. That could damage the cause in the long term.

Similar stuff with the statues, and decrying racism. For me, the idea that some people now suggest ghandi is racist, and should no longer be celebrated, is definitely a factor in things 'going too far'.

37 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is there not a danger that we lose perspective, when so much energy is focused on stuff like this?

There's surely a line somewhere, where social media campaigners lose the general story of the wider public. That could damage the cause in the long term.

Similar stuff with the statues, and decrying racism. For me, the idea that some people now suggest ghandi is racist, and should no longer be celebrated, is definitely a factor in things 'going too far'.

Gandhi was a racist though, he was more concerned in South Africa about Indians getting treated like blacks than having fewer rights than whites. And he slept naked with his teenage grandnieces, which is by and by. But he was a great man, and the good probably outweighed the bad. I wouldn't be pulling his statue down. I think the people whose claim to fame was giving something to charity after a lifetime of profiting from slavery are a different category.  

In 1893, Gandhi wrote to the Natal parliament saying that a "general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are a little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa".

In 1904, he wrote to a health officer in Johannesburg that the council "must withdraw Kaffirs" from an unsanitary slum called the "Coolie Location" where a large number of Africans lived alongside Indians. "About the mixing of the Kaffirs with the Indians, I must confess I feel most strongly."

The same year he wrote that unlike the African, the Indian had no "war-dances, nor does he drink Kaffir beer". When Durban was hit by a plague in 1905, Gandhi wrote that the problem would persist as long as Indians and Africans were being "herded together indiscriminately at the hospital".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-34265882

He probably thought to himself that he was fighting for his own kind in the only way available, step over someone else.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Watched it this evening (excellent series btw).

Finished by saying although he doesn't like Scottish nationalism, the idea of an independent Scottish republic is as fine as any he's heard.