General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

oaksoft will be along to explain why this isn’t actually poverty shortly

Laugh heartily about how it isn't poverty, surely.

Popcorn at the ready.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Extending the vote to refugees, EU nationals, over 16s and prisoners serving 12 months or less (I think) is a good move though. No reason why none of these groups should be denied their voting rights.

I'm sorry but when you're serving a custodial sentence you should not be permitted to vote.

If you're convicted it has shown you cannot live by the laws of the land so you shouldn't be entitled to vote until you have served the sentence accordingly.

Extending the vote to refugees, EU nationals, over 16s and prisoners serving 12 months or less (I think) is a good move though. No reason why none of these groups should be denied their voting rights.
What is the status granted to a refugee once they are no longer a refugee and how long does it take? Is it straight from seeking/being granted asylum to British Citizen? I seen tweets talking about "temporary leave to remain". How does that work? Can someone be told they can stay here for 1 year for example? If so, I am not having that such a person should be voting here.

On 18/02/2020 at 10:49, Blue-Toon said:

We've never had it so good -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51543521

Now let's home in on the amounts. The average wage excluding bonuses is now £511.61. In March 2008, the average wage would have bought you £510.96 (in 2019 prices). In other words you are 65p better off than you were - 12 years ago.

Yeah, life is wonderful!

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Now let's home in on the amounts. The average wage excluding bonuses is now £511.61. In March 2008, the average wage would have bought you £510.96 (in 2019 prices). In other words you are 65p better off than you were - 12 years ago.

Yeah, life is wonderful!

Think that only accounts for full time wages, so with the rise of part time and zero hours contracts we're actually way behind where we were 12 years ago.

On 20/02/2020 at 18:08, Tynierose said:

I'm sorry but when you're serving a custodial sentence you should not be permitted to vote.

If you're convicted it has shown you cannot live by the laws of the land so you shouldn't be entitled to vote until you have served the sentence accordingly.

I know this is an extreme scenario, but, let's say a government decides an independence referendum in one of it's nations is close but could go against it.  So refuses to allow an independence referendum. The independence party for that nation decide to take to  streets hold a protest. The Central government  decides to make mass protests illegal without a licence  and refuses to grant one. Protest goes a head and 100 000 people take part . All these people are identified and charged and sentenced them to a token 1 month prison term. The government relents and allows the referendum to go ahead on a day that happens to fall in that month. The government wins by 50 000 votes. No more referendums for a generation.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-51644786

Thanks Mr Westminister for not allowing a common sense & progressive public health approach towards drug policy in Scotland

A common sense progressive public health approach to drugs is a distraction apparently. A distraction from continuing with the same knuckleheaded approach that has been failing for as long as i can remember. 

Imo decriminalisation with strong controls and taxation is the way forward in the long term. Decriminalising users would be a good start. 

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/free-bus-travel-18s-and-under-snp-strikes-budget-deal-greens-2000316

Delighted to see the comment section rife with beeling fuckwits moaning about how this is a bad thing because of a simplistic, alleged assumption it will cost more taxpayers money.