General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Haven't seen him for a while.

Ralstonite certainly singing from the same hymn sheet.

They never give up do they?

I'm always slightly suspicious of new posters who immediately head for the Politics forum.

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Whichever one of you is responsible for this, it's really boring and nowhere near as funny as you think it is.

There's room for you both in the field of Brexiteer satire, although you are more believable. Sometimes less is more.

7 hours ago, Andrew Wells said:

I reckon if this one gets binned, every single poster who quotes em should get binned along with him.

I think every poster forum policeman that thinks this is the case should resign in a ridiculous tearful manner and then come back soon after named after the shittest character in a teenage fantasy series. Willow's girlfriend? She was pish. That'll do.

I think every poster forum policeman that thinks this is the case should resign in a ridiculous tearful manner and then come back soon after named after the shittest character in a teenage fantasy series. Willow's girlfriend? She was pish. That'll do.
Beautiful singing voice though.

8 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Forgive those of us unfamiliar with teenage fantasy series', but what's this about? Been a while since I've seen that film, but isn't it Val Kilmer who gets his hole?

On 07/12/2019 at 01:38, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Grammar schools favour those in the middle classes who are prepared to pay (or cheat) their way to a place - thank f**k we don't have them here.

Pinholing children at the age of 11 is crazy in any case - even ignoring the class imbalance - way too early to be making decisions that could affect the rest of their lives.

Not necessarily - there's no payment involved and I have never heard anyone cheating their weans' way to a grammar school place.  Yeah, some may pay for tuition in the hope of securing a decent result in the 11+ but that's ok.

As for it being an option for the middle-classes?  Try buying a house in Jordanhill  (or Dunblane or East Renfrewshire) for anything under £300k for an egg box.  At least that allows the pretense of comprehensive education while we all know it's all about your detested middle classes buying their way to a perceived better education.

Not necessarily - there's no payment involved and I have never heard anyone cheating their weans' way to a grammar school place.  Yeah, some may pay for tuition in the hope of securing a decent result in the 11+ but that's ok.
As for it being an option for the middle-classes?  Try buying a house in Jordanhill  (or Dunblane or East Renfrewshire) for anything under £300k for an egg box.  At least that allows the pretense of comprehensive education while we all know it's all about your detested middle classes buying their way to a perceived better education.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6237989/Parents-cheat-11-plus-exams-sending-older-siblings-sit-tests.html

Oh well.  No surprise that you're a Daily Mail devotee.
Do you favour grammar schools then, and maximum paternal choice?

We've definitely for some big issues in Scottish education but I can't for the life of me see how widening the gap between the richest and poorest in society will help.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Do you favour grammar schools then, and maximum paternal choice?

We've definitely for some big issues in Scottish education but I can't for the life of me see how widening the gap between the richest and poorest in society will help.

Only in part and grammar schools do have a certain honesty over 'selection by house pricing' as we see in lots of areas.

So should we have some schools choosing the more academic pupils to hothouse?  Yes of course.  This is only sensible.  As a teacher you'd love this.