General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

TL;DR - first-hand grammar school anecdote.

Spoiler

I went to school in Kent, at one of the best performing state schools in the area. If you weren't selected for the local grammar after second year, you were fucked and were as well leaving to try and get yourself a trade. The quality of teaching from third year onward was very poor; they couldn't have made it more apparent that we were just being kept off the streets until we were 16. From a student body of over a thousand, I think there were six kids in sixth form in my final year; they met up in a wee hut on the edge of the plot.

The only folk I met who thought it was a good system were the people whose kids had been, or who had been themselves, selected for the grammar. They were likely to get to A Level standard, at least.  Probably neither here nor there, but the grammar was also considered to be for the "posh kids", and there were some surprising faces absent when third year started - poor performers who just happened to come from better-off backgrounds.

A long time ago, and hopefully it's changed for this generation of kids. I know the school I went to is now a "sports college", whatever that is.

On 07/12/2019 at 12:42, O'Kelly Isley III said:

In the event, they are buying into a charlatan begging them to allow him to amputate their legs on the grounds that they'll soon be running around. Fucking liar conning fucking idiots.

Chopping off your legs will get rid of that excessive weight that prevents you being able to fly.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Finland elects youngest ever PM at 34.

What are folks thoughts about whippersnappers being in charge? Personally if it means more wide I'm all for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/09/finland-anoints-sanna-martin-34-as-worlds-youngest-serving-prime-minister

At the moment, fewer folk thinking, "f**k it, I'll be dead by the time the consequences of this kick in," wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Of course, the youngsters could just think, "f**k it, I'll be safe on my futuristic flying privilege barge," but no system is perfect.

At the moment, fewer folk thinking, "f**k it, I'll be dead by the time the consequences of this kick in," wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
Of course, the youngsters could just think, "f**k it, I'll be safe on my futuristic flying privilege barge," but no system is perfect.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50709422

Wid wid wid

Shelter report saying homelessness in England up 23,000 to 280,000 in the last three years.
Tory Britain folks, and so many people just don’t give a f**k.

Most of them choose that lifestyle, though. And most of them are just pretending to be homeless - they make more tax-free money from begging than the majority of hard-working British taxpayers get from their real jobs. There's this guy who pretends to be blind on our high street, right, who hops in his BMW at clocking-off time and goes back to the detached house that he owns.

That's the kind of stuff I remember folk telling each other back in the Eighties. It's as true now as it ever was (not even remotely, and a desperate justification for not giving a shit about other people).

Listened to a nurse and also a patient talk about the healthcare system in NI this morning.
They're on strike today and the patient was talking about four year waiting lists. He was having seizures and has to wait that length of time.
Brexit is really going to mess them up and I wouldn't be surprised if the troubles kick off again.

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Most of them choose that lifestyle, though. And most of them are just pretending to be homeless - they make more tax-free money from begging than the majority of hard-working British taxpayers get from their real jobs. There's this guy who pretends to be blind on our high street, right, who hops in his BMW at clocking-off time and goes back to the detached house that he owns.

That's the kind of stuff I remember folk telling each other back in the Eighties. It's as true now as it ever was (not even remotely, and a desperate justification for not giving a shit about other people).

Seen a guy outside a shop on the high street wrapped in a blanket drinking from a paper cup, on closer inspection I noticed he had a 52 inch plasma telly under the blanket and a bottle of Cristal Champagne wrapped in brown paper.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The story about the blind driver is believable.  Most BMW drivers drive like they can’t see anyone else on the roads.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
The story about the blind driver is believable.  Most BMW drivers drive like they can’t see anyone else on the roads.

Audi drivers as well.

My younger son drives an Audi and is a very good driver.