General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

It's another from the Republican play book.

https://newrepublic.com/article/151966/gops-sneakiest-voter-suppression-tactic

The next logical step would be moving polling stations out of poorer areas into richer areas miles away - and specifically not on any public transport route.

Always looking for a negative.

17 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Any of them. 

I've had them once (mince) but never again. Utterly minging things.

I was living in Inverkeithing then so definitely part of the underclass in Fife. 😀

Moved 'up in the world' now. Living in the burbs outside Aberdeen. Does that make me middle class? And does it really matter these days?

Dad was a sparky, Mum was a medical receptionist. Working class?

I'm only educated to HNC level. Working class?

Work as a Draughtsman. Working/middle class?

(but am also a company director - middle class)

My wife goes to book club. My bairn is learning the violin. Definitely middle class.

And I do like hummus. And taramasalata. And tzatziki. Not sure if the spelling is right there so maybe I've just got middle class pretensions.

Fucking hell, I only asked because I loved the cheesy ones. Mum bought them because we were skint because dad fucked off, which is pretty underclass. On the other hand I'm an IT engineer that retired at 55, so that's very fucking middle class.

8 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Fucking hell, I only asked because I loved the cheesy ones. Mum bought them because we were skint because dad fucked off, which is pretty underclass. On the other hand I'm an IT engineer that retired at 55, so that's very fucking middle class.

If you called them mozzarella sticks they'd be middle class.

Much like tempura is middle class but battered is working class. 🙄

As for the voting changes. I had a quick check to see if this was a massive problem in the UK.

In 2018, there was no evidence of large-scale electoral fraud.

Of the 266 cases that were investigated by the police, one led to a conviction, and two suspects accepted police cautions.

In 2017, there was one conviction and eight suspects accepted police cautions.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/electoral-fraud-data

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

As for the voting changes. I had a quick check to see if this was a massive problem in the UK.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/electoral-fraud-data

As in the USA it is not a problem, it is a clear determined attempt to discourage people from voting.

As in the USA it is not a problem, it is a clear determined attempt to discourage people from voting.

This is it in a nutshell.

The Aaron Sorkin show 'the newsroom' did a great scene debunking this (greenie for anyone looking to it).

There is no electoral problem, other than poor people voting against right wing p***ks.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

The only electoral fraud I can think of involved Labour and postal voting. Might have been in Birmingham.

Must happen a lot. I had to do the postal votes for my parents as they couldn't figure out the instructions. Respected their wishes but I could have voted how I wanted. A tiny amount of people would risk misrepresenting themselves at a polling station for the sake of one vote, but postal votes are wide open to fraud, especially for the vulnerable and recent immigrants whose English isn't too hot.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

This is it in a nutshell.

The Aaron Sorkin show 'the newsroom' did a great scene debunking this (greenie for anyone looking to it).

There is no electoral problem, other than poor people voting against right wing p***ks.

Newsroom was a brilliant TV programme, one of my favourite ever.

Pity they won’t do an update in the Trump era.

A friend stood for the SNP in Edinburgh in the 90s. She said the local council was Tory or LibDem (can't remember which) and they went around all the empty council houses collecting polling cards then used them. Her election agent said this was common practice at the time. 

A friend stood for the SNP in Edinburgh in the 90s. She said the local council was Tory or LibDem (can't remember which) and they went around all the empty council houses collecting polling cards then used them. Her election agent said this was common practice at the time. 
Must admit to being confused as to how this would work, in practice.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:
3 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Must admit to being confused as to how this would work, in practice.

The Electoral Roll is slow to be updated so people that have moved house/died may well have their cards delivered to their old address. The Polling Cards were used as proof of identity for party workers to cast votes at polling stations. 

3 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

The Electoral Roll is slow to be updated so people that have moved house/died may well have their cards delivered to their old address. The Polling Cards were used as proof of identity for party workers to cast votes at polling stations. 

I'm just picturing party workers - and there would need to be a few, you'd think - retrieving keys from the housing department for their empty properties, spending time going round the empty houses to check for polling cards, then sharing them out between themselves to use at polling stations (considering it might raise eyebrows to turn up with a dozen cards and claim to be all of those people).

Not saying it didn't happen or anything (I'm sure it does), more that it seems desperate and pathetic to stoop to these depths for, what, a few dozen votes? Presumably election fraud comes with a decent punishment, so it hardly seems worthwhile.

Please tell me there'd be a harsh punishment for being caught doing this.

25 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm just picturing party workers - and there would need to be a few, you'd think - retrieving keys from the housing department for their empty properties, spending time going round the empty houses to check for polling cards, then sharing them out between themselves to use at polling stations (considering it might raise eyebrows to turn up with a dozen cards and claim to be all of those people).

Not saying it didn't happen or anything (I'm sure it does), more that it seems desperate and pathetic to stoop to these depths for, what, a few dozen votes? Presumably election fraud comes with a decent punishment, so it hardly seems worthwhile.

It’s an urban myth.

15 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1487145/Labour-activists-had-vote-rigging-factory-to-hijack-postal-votes.html