General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

As much as I am in no way defending the nobility of the republican movement, the trouble was caused by unionist protesters, they attacked police officers, tried to trap them in streets with barricades set on fire and threw fireworks to try and maim public servants. That said why does a flute band from Coatbridge need to march in Glasgow. Why do any Northern Irish political/cultural groups need to march in Glasgow? Thankfully both the council and police have issued quite strong statements, hoping this leads to a reduction in numbers of parades etc. To put this into perspective the violence seen tonight from the unionists was so bad it led to the first time in modern Scottish history that police were sent out to deploy the tactics used.

There are far more important things that people should be on the streets protesting about. This sort of thing shows us as a backwards bigoted country.
More importantly who thought it would be a good idea to have this sort of march this weekend in the first place?

This band actually described themselves as an IRA band on their application to march. The police and council employees doing risk assessment recommended they were refused permission. The marching committee of the council granted permission anyway.

From the council response it's likely they let this go ahead knowing there would be trouble so they can ban more marches next year.

The change in the Conservative Party and amongst Tory voters has been a bit like dry rot.  

It’s probably been ongoing for some time but it’s only when it surfaces that you realise just how insidious, deep and widespread that it is.

Some people who lived through WWII and certainly people  who were brought up in its aftermath cheering on someone who makes no disguise of his disdain for the democratic process.

People who claim a Labour Government would lead to economic ruin dismissing the government’s own advisers of the potential calamity of No Deal as “scaremongering”.

I had thought that the UK had largely avoided the extreme right insurgence that we we have seen in places like Italy, France and Germany in recent times.

I am now wondering just how much (or how little) a push it would take to move from Johnson’s populism to something far more extreme.

Excuse my simplistic view on this - but Sajid Javid seems to be announcing loads of extra money for public spending. Does this mean that Scotland gets more money due to the Barnett formula and in turn does that mean that come GERS time next year we're shown to be spending more than we're raising?

24 minutes ago, alr said:

Excuse my simplistic view on this - but Sajid Javid seems to be announcing loads of extra money for public spending. Does this mean that Scotland gets more money due to the Barnett formula and in turn does that mean that come GERS time next year we're shown to be spending more than we're raising?

Apparently £1.2bn coming to Scotland due to Barnett. So this is where we're either running at a loss (GERS) or not spending our available money? Mental.

37 minutes ago, alr said:

It depends if this spending is classed as UK spending.

The vast majority of such Westminster government spend is concentrated in the South of the UK  and principally in London and the South East. 

Yes.....Scotland will be apportioned it's contribution share of this spend back by way of the Barnett consequentials.

All good according to unionists......eh no!

What will not be returned will be Scotlands share of the revenue caused by the economic growth that such spend will generate. If Javids extra public spend is as assumed, concentrated in the South,  It will be shown in next year's figures, solely as revenue raised in the South. This will obviously further skew the figures. This is called the multiplying effect. It is why Scotland and the rUK regions appear to perform so badly compared with London and the SE.

It is just one part of the Westminster accounting fiddle that GERs figures cannot detect.

10 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I can't remember, ever, a PM having to be upbraided for intervening by shouting "from a sedentary position" while the opposing front bench are speaking. If it has happened before, I'm willing to bet it didn't happen on the same day that the same PM had to be reminded that convention dictates members of the House do not name other members. Naming of members is the prerogative of the Speaker, and is actually a disciplinary issue.

All Corbyn and the rest of the ooposition benches have to do is sit and watch the government tear itself apart in a swamp of incompetence.

Javid being roundly criticised all round for recycling numbers which are either made up or woefully short of repairing the damage done by these bastárds sending money the country needed off to numbered accounts in Panama. *

*And Belfast - just saw Big Sammie there making sure the Dinosaur-deniers will be getting their cut.

50 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Fucking brilliant takedown from McDonnell.  I think more MPs should have a go at Johnson over that incident as there would be a good chance of him flipping.

Liverpool, letterboxes, picaninnies, clear dead bodies from the beach, fúck business, how many kids, lies., lies, money spaffed up the wall, promoting whisky drinking in a Sikh temple, reciting Kipling in a Sikh temple, complete disregard for rules involving members' finances. And fúck loads more that I can't quickly recall.

Hit him with these and others - every time he stands up, every time he tries to attack anyone, any time he tries to paint himself or his party as morally sound.

Choose life, choose Liverpool, choose letterboxes, picaninnies, clear dead bodies from the beach, fúck business, how many kids, lies., lies, money spaffed up the wall, choose promoting whisky drinking in a Sikh temple, reciting Kipling in a Sikh temple, choose complete disregard for rules involving members' finances. And fúck loads more that I can't quickly recall. Choose a no deal brexit, Choose the parliamentary Tory party.

FTFY