General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Indy Scotland would be a completely different political environment. As soon as power moved to Scotland it would be immediately followed by shit loads of corporate lobbyists with bags of cash and an energised right wing media. You would also see plenty of 'centrists' who are happy to play along with centre left politics in the context of devolution move to the right once fiscal powers arrived.
You mean, the kind of folk people trip over at Labour Party conferences ?

27 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You mean, the kind of folk people trip over at Labour Party conferences ?

Aye obviously. When there is money at stake corporate interests will attempt to subvert politics.

The SNP are extremely partial to lobbying. Labour were ruined by it. Indy Scotland isn't going to be immune to the right and under the conditions set out by the GC would be extremely vulnerable to corporate and financial exploitation.

23 hours ago, Detournement said:

As soon as power moved to Scotland it would be immediately followed by shit loads of corporate lobbyists with bags of cash and an energised right wing media. 

Scotland has much greater transparency re lobbying and much stricter rules to limit its impact. You must know that. 

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I really dislike Jo Swinson. Absolute hypocrite

You should have said. I didn't realise what a dick Ed Davey was until he'd been on the telly a lot recently. Soul destroying choice for Lib Dems when they should be on the up.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/its-time-decriminalise-drug-use-17386758

It's obviously nowhere near as relevant as it once was but the Record calling for drug decriminalisation is still a fairly big deal. Opinions?

It's fair to say i'm liberal about drug use and agree that decriminalisation would be a step forward but i'm not sure what problems it would solve in Scotland. Addicts are in the justice system because of the crimes they commit to be able to afford to buy drugs and the daft things they do while under the influence of drugs and alcohol. The police already don't actively look to arrest people for possession or the courts would be jam packed.

More money into rehab and less into methadone would be a start but addiction is part of a wider problem of poverty and social exclusion and has to be dealt with in that context.

28 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Still the most baffing politics I've seen from a sitting politician.

A bundle of contradictory positions from the outside but I'm sure they make sense in her own head. How she merges Trotsky with the ERG and the DUP is beyond me, but at least she isn't a programmed politibot. Her wiki page is succinct. https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Hoey 

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Bitter old terrahawk looking boot who rides the gravy train kidding on she is a respectable adult kinda girl?

Like he said. Good Ulster Girl.

You don't want to know what the worst ones are like. Ljsl9nQ.png

On 09/07/2019 at 06:38, DrewDon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-48885846

Interesting article on Norway's prison system reforms. Scotland's imprisonment figures are utterly embarrassing. Pretty much anybody advocating bold reforms in this country would be crucified by the right-wing media and political opponents for being 'soft on crime', though.  

At Halden there are 258 inmates (including 22 who are in a half-way house on the other side of the wall) and 290 employees, 190 of whom are prison officers.

I think that figure is the key.

Scotland isn't Norway. There are a lot more social problems and persistent offenders here. That isn't going to be solved by prison policy alone. Education, housing and employment are huge factors.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

I think that figure is the key.

Scotland isn't Norway. There are a lot more social problems and persistent offenders here. That isn't going to be solved by prison policy alone. Education, housing and employment are huge factors.

Stoked for TBS's response to this