General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

11 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Stunning to see Granny do a runner from this.

Not doing a runner, simply don’t see the point in repeating myself.  I will add this however as a final note.  

If I was asked to list the things that I saw as important for Scotland the promotion of Gaelic wouldn’t make the top one hundred, probably not even the top one thousand.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not doing a runner, simply don’t see the point in repeating myself.  I will add this however as a final note.  

If I was asked to list the things that I saw as important for Scotland the promotion of Gaelic wouldn’t make the top one hundred, probably not even the top one thousand.

Who cares. Not everything we do needs to be urgently important and even although I don’t understand a word of Gaelic and probably never will. I take great delight in knowing that it’s printed on there anyway as it only winds up people that I probably wouldn’t like anyway.

8 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Why? I never said there was 1000 things that are more important than giving Gaelic a modicum of daily attention after centuries of persecution.

Maybe not but I am as interested in your top 1,000 priorities are you apparently are in mine.

PS I’m not really.

PPS I do find it strange (and slightly amusing) that not voicing full blooded support for Gaelic is such a trigger to otherwise level headed posters on here.

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
15 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
As a native of the currently maligned Ayrshire I'd like to point out that I frequently catch the train at the wonderfully named (Scotrail style) Cill D' Fhinnein. A more apt name for a town in any language I have yet to come across.

What's that, Kilwinning?

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Potential big team found but not sure tbh.

It's 100% genuinely the Gaelic name for Kilwinning - no "big team" comments required

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

I predict 5 to 10 years after independence day all schools will be teaching Gaelic - and rightly so.

Image result for gaelic speaking map of scotland 1300 

I agree. I can also see them doing away with that foreign language "English" and replacing it with Cymraeg or some other useful lingo.

A very expensive lesson! - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48664373

SNP MEP Alyn Smith has issued an "unreserved" apology over his allegation that the Brexit Party is a "money laundering front".

Brexit Party chairman Richard Tice threatened to sue Mr Smith over the claim, which he made in a TV interview.

Mr Smith has now admitted he did not have any evidence to support his claim.

He has agreed to pay a "significant" contribution to Mr Tice's legal costs, and will also make a donation to the Help for Heroes charity.

Mr Smith was being interviewed on Sky News following last month's European Elections when he claimed that the Brexit Party - which is led by Nigel Farage - was "a shell company that's a money laundering front".

He went on to claim that "the only question about the Brexit Party now is which laws they've broken and where their campaign finances have come from".

Don't smear millionaires who can sue you!

Edited by Bishop Briggs

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

This isn't hard, just explain why you don't think Gaelic deserves a modestly higher profile.

The point of signage is to inform and, with road signs in particular, to do so with a glance.  When you go abroad there are certain places where signs a bi-lingual or sometimes even tri-lingual due to the number of foreign visitors that visit.  In Scotland we are fortunate in that we speak one of the most common languages in the world and therefore do not need to have any second or third languages on signs.  We especially do not have to provide these to the very limited number people that can actually understand them.

In 2011, 87,100 people aged 3 and over in Scotland (1.7 per cent of the population) had some Gaelic language skills.

Of these 87,100 people:

32,400 (37 per cent) had full skills in Gaelic, that is could understand, speak, read and write Gaelic; 

57,600 (66 per cent) could speak Gaelic;

6,100 (7 per cent) were able to read and/or write but not speak Gaelic; and 

23,400 (27 per cent) were able to understand Gaelic but could not speak, read or write it

If the Scottish government were fully behind the promotion of the language then they should be publishing all government documents, statistics etc. in Gaelic and not just using the language to try and show that Scotland is not England.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

The point of signage is to inform and, with road signs in particular, to do so with a glance.  When you go abroad there are certain places where signs a bi-lingual or sometimes even tri-lingual due to the number of foreign visitors that visit.  In Scotland we are fortunate in that we speak one of the most common languages in the world and therefore do not need to have any second or third languages on signs.  We especially do not have to provide these to the very limited number people that can actually understand them.

If the Scottish government were fully behind the promotion of the language then they should be publishing all government documents, statistics etc. in Gaelic and not just using the language to try and show that Scotland is not England.

Absolutely agree - the fact that folk actually talk to each other here already does that admirably.

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Why are we not raging about Councils with Latin mottos in their crests?

I have no problem with Gaelic signs and actually feel quite pleased when I see them.

To be fair to Latin.

It does at least have a strong literary tradition behind it.