General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

47 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Why does anyone have a problem with Gaelic on signs?

Like, what impact does it have on your life?

None. However it seems to cause dickless cringers completely disproportional seethe, so i'm all for it. While they're at it, perhaps these dafties could contact the SMC and Ordnance Survey and demand all our mountain name names be anglicised. Ruadh Stac-Mhor absolutely reeks of SNP-inspired Braveheart-ism. I'd rather it was known as "Big Red Stack". 

35 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

We don't have a history of destroying the Polish community, so have no particular need to make such a token gesture of restoration.

Yet. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

No, I don’t think we should.

What particular difficulty does Gaelic appearing on signs cause?

None but I don’t see it’s relevance.  Gaelic is not and never has been the National language of Scotland.

37 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

None. However it seems to cause dickless cringers completely disproportional seethe, so i'm all for it. While they're at it, perhaps these dafties could contact the SMC and Ordnance Survey and demand all our mountain name names be anglicised. Ruadh Stac-Mhor absolutely reeks of SNP-inspired Braveheart-ism. I'd rather it was known as "Big Red Stack". 

You think we should anglicise historic mountain names that were named at a time and in an area where Gaelic was spoken? That’s pretty bizarre, even for you.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You think we should anglicise historic mountain names that were named at a time and in an area where Gaelic was spoken? That’s pretty bizarre, even for you.

Apologies. I was unaware the ability to detect sarcasm was one of the early casualties of senility. 

7 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Apologies. I was unaware the ability to detect sarcasm was one of the early casualties of senility. 

I’m the one who should apologise,I never realised you were suffering from senility.

None but I don’t see it’s relevance.  Gaelic is not and never has been the National language of Scotland.

Maybe not, but it is an indigenous language of Scotland. I believe efforts should be made to promote and protect indigenous languages which are under threat, especially when the method to do so requires literally no effort and inconveniences no one. Do you disagree?

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Maybe not, but it is an indigenous language of Scotland. I believe efforts should be made to promote and protect indigenous languages which are under threat, especially when the method to do so requires literally no effort and inconveniences no one. Do you disagree?

I’m happy to see Gaelic protected in areas of Scotland in which it was historically used.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

A friend of mine likes to tell the story of somebody from the Ordance Survey going to a pub in Skye and asking the locals for the Gaelic names of the nearby mountains.

These appeared in the next edition of the OS Map but were later removed when it was revealed they were obscenities.

There’s more relevant shit to criticise the SNP for recently than gaelic signs which cost f**k all in the grand scheme of things and are a nice cultural touch to a historically marginalised community.

In the 2011 census, Glasgow City mirrored the Scottish average with 1.7% of the population able to speak Gaelic.
Accordingly, the true figure is more than 170 times larger than your guess.
An seo gus do chuideachadh

To continue a pedantic theme

1.7% of the population is the number of people who reported being able to speak, read, write or understand spoken Gaelic

Only 66.2% of them (1.1% of the population) said they could speak Gaelic

And 37.2% (0.6% overall) had the full set

To complicate matters future this was entirely self reported so we’ve no definition of what level of skill they’re talking about.

Some of these “Gaelic speakers” will be at the same standard as the ones that do the football commentary whilst some will be at more of a “Dos Servesas pour favor” level.

So the 1.7% number is wrong and even the correct number is not particularly informative.

If we’re looking for a verified level of ability then one of the best available measures would be how many people pass the higher

This regularly shows 17 year old Scotland to be massively more francophone, significantly better at Spanish and a bit better at German than at Gaelic

This is particularly fitting here but n Edinburgh where most new citizens arrive in the RIE in Little France so it genuinely is the historic language of their birthplace

Leaving to one side that place names from the tip to toe of Scotland have Gaelic origins thus demonstrating its widespread historic use, why are you unhappy to see it used outside whatever bit if Scotland you consider appropriate?

I should also point out that Berwickshire doesn’t have any Gaelic place names at all but as it doesn’t have any railway stations either that’s something of a moot point

I’m pretty sure the same applies to the Shetlands although I’m more certain about the railway stations

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I should also point out that Berwickshire doesn’t have any Gaelic place names at all but as it doesn’t have any railway stations either that’s something of a moot point

You big liar, what about Auchencrow?

Edited by welshbairn