General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 10/06/2019 at 00:40, Ned Nederlander said:

Simply fucking awesome:

D8n3erTVsAcqcvW.jpeg

What a fuckin great woman she is.  We should be proud to have her, can you imagine the Maybot doing that?  And she looks so natural and happy, one of the things I like about the SNP and as an extension independence is being governed by normal people who are just like the rest of us and understand the problems of everyday people.

33 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Part 9644674785 in an occasional series on term limits for politics pundits

Some cheek of these people to accuse Corbynites of living in the past given they still haven't accepted any of the political events since June 2016.

Don’t know how topical this is, but SNP controlled Ayrshire Council have apparently spent £45k on bilingual English/Gaelic road signs.

Gaelic signs.  In Ayrshire.

Fucking hell.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t know how topical this is, but SNP controlled Ayrshire Council have apparently spent £45k on bilingual English/Gaelic road signs.

Fucking hell.

C**ts can't even speak proper English yet.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Fucking hell.

This has been gone through before, the signs had to be renewed anyway and the extra bit of printing cost fuckall, and the tourists like it.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Fucking hell.

Based on my journeys, most of the Scotrail stations in and around Glasgow are bilingual.

I would guess that less than .01% of the local population (and that's being very optimistic) can speak Gaelic.

It all reeks of Mel Gibson's Braveheart (made in Ireland to avoid paying taxes in Scotland) fantasies.

On 11/06/2019 at 13:07, Detournement said:

If you increase the size of the population you need more services, that's obvious surely? If the immigrants have a high birth rate then that is compounded.

The Piketty quote is the perfect example of why the EU economy is failing. 5% every year just disappearing out of the Eurozone. No doubt ending up offshore and being invested into lower wage economies.

Migrants aren't going to stop coming so it'll either be the welfare state or the fiscal austerity that go.

In other words, each time the countries in the Euro zone produce 100 units of goods and services, they only consume and invest 95 in their own country.

Would you care to explain this? I'm not sure Piketty has this right, but I'm willing to learn.

Fucking hell.
It's been topical recently in the letters page of the Glasgow Herald. As a matter of interest, does anyone have a rough cost to all of us for that American-controlled nuclear submarine base ten miles down the road from where I'm writing this ?

How anyone who isn't a native Gaelic speaker can see a road sign and think anything other than 'isn't that interesting that's how it's said in Gaelic' and go on with their day really is beyond me.

As a point of pedantry

It doesn’t tell you how it’s said in Gaelic. It tells you how it’s written

33 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Based on my journeys, most of the Scotrail stations in and around Glasgow are bilingual.

I would guess that less than .01% of the local population (and that's being very optimistic) can speak Gaelic.

It all reeks of Mel Gibson's Braveheart (made in Ireland to avoid paying taxes in Scotland) fantasies.

In the 2011 census, Glasgow City mirrored the Scottish average with 1.7% of the population able to speak Gaelic.

Accordingly, the true figure is more than 170 times larger than your guess.

An seo gus do chuideachadh

12 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

In the 2011 census, Glasgow City mirrored the Scottish average with 1.7% of the population able to speak Gaelic.

Fair enough but do they need Gaelic station signs to use our local trains?

Is Gaelic the second language of us Glaswegians?

Perhaps we are more likely to speak other European or Asian languages.

19 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I have to say that I am astounded by this figure.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Why does anyone have a problem with Gaelic on signs?

Like, what impact does it have on your life?

Probably more Polish speakers in Scotland than Gaelic.  Should we have Polish on signs?

5 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Fair enough but do they need Gaelic station signs to use our local trains?

Is Gaelic the second language of us Glaswegians?

Perhaps we are more likely to speak other European or Asian languages.

You'll probably like this map  of railway stations in East & Central Scotland with "no Gaelic, Celtic or other foreign mumbo-jumbo to confuse the traveller"

Best of luck using these proper English names next time you travel from "Thicket" to "Mound of Stones Place" through the city centre .