General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

If there's one thing you can rely on academics for it's making criticism - genuine, negative criticism that is - sound good, so it may interest you to know that Jacob Rees-Mogg has written a book about Victorians: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/19/jacob-rees-mogg-book-the-victorians-12-titans-who-forged-britain

But its early readers have not been persuaded that the project was time well spent. The historian AN Wilson, whose book The Victorians was published in 2002, wrote in the Times that Rees-Mogg’s effort was “anathema to anyone with an ounce of historical, or simply common, sense”. Describing the work as “a dozen clumsily written pompous schoolboy compositions”, he said it claimed to be a work of history, but was in fact “yet another bit of self-promotion by a highly motivated modern politician”.

On the chapter about Gen Charles Napier’s conquest of Sindh, Wilson wrote: “At this point in the book you start to think that the author is worse than a twit. By all means let us celebrate what was great about the Victorians, but there is something morally repellent about a book that can gloss over massacres and pillage on the scale perpetrated by Napier.”

Writing in the Guardian, Kathryn Hughes described the book as “an origin myth for Rees-Mogg’s particular rightwing vision of Britain”. “In parliament, Rees-Mogg is often referred to as ‘the honourable member for the 18th century’, a nod to those funny clothes he wears, along with pretending not to know the name of any modern pop songs,” she wrote.

“What a shame, then, that he has not absorbed any of the intellectual and creative elegance that flourished during that period.”

4 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Perhaps they should have been less selective with the contents of the report.

Respondents were self-selecting: This survey did not seek views on the 
WPL from a representative sample of the Scottish population, as happens in 
public opinion polling. This means that the results reported in this analysis
are unlikely to reflect the true distribution of opinions on the WPL held by individuals and organisations across Scotland and should not be read as 
such.

That ‘survey’ might be the most meaningless bit of work I’ve ever seen in my life. You’d be as well using a poll from here, and I don’t mean that flippantly at all.

I’ve worked at a few Edinburgh City Centre locations which have underground car parks and plenty employees drive in, despite being no more than a two minute walk from Waverley or Haymarket. I think a charge might make some sense in that regard, but outside of the city centre bubble it’s just another tax, really, and the current Council Leader has already committed to making it a city-wide initiative, from the poorly served industrial estates at Newbridge to Newhaven harbour.

49 minutes ago, yoda said:

Indeed.

On one side of the coin we have the serial fraudsters (entrepreneurs) with their super yachts and property empires and on the other hand we have the above.

The sad thing is that nobody seems to care or even think that the two may be related.

As the man says, we're heading for trouble............

I was wondering what Craig Whyte was up to these days.

Comet; electrical retailer, acquired 2011; insolvent 2014

Rileys; sports bars; acquired 2012; insolvent 2014

Monarch; airline, acquired 2014; administration 2017

M Local; convenience stores, acquired from Morrisons 2015; insolvent 2016

British Steel 2016; was Tata Steel Europe, bought from Tata and renamed; insolvent 2019

7 hours ago, yoda said:

What really saddens me is that austerity didn’t need to happen.  It wasn’t an economic/financial necessity; it was purely ideological.

Seems to be a lot of speculation that May will be gone tonight.

Got to give it to her, she’s played a blinder here. Told the ministers who requested to see her to f**k off basically; as it’s Election Day tomorrow the media can’t report politics scuppering any sort of momentum the ‘coup’ had, and then there’s a recess until June 4th.

Her days are numbered, but she’s going nowhere tonight unfortunately.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What really saddens me is that austerity didn’t need to happen.  It wasn’t an economic/financial necessity; it was purely ideological.

An interesting read (John Cassidy is a very good economics commentator; compare and contrast him to someone like Paul Mason) here: https://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/the-reinhart-and-rogoff-controversy-a-summing-up

If we take Osbourne at face-value and assess austerity against the main objective of reducing the debt then it failed miserably. If we take it (as we should) as an ideological attack on the welfare state, and a rolling back of "big government", then it has been a roaring success for them. The current spending levels are, to borrow a phrase, the "new normal" - this is the base level of services from here on. The amount of spending increases that would be required to elevate us to pre-2010 levels is enormous, and unfortunately, I don't think it would be palatable to a lot of voters*.

*the "I want more spending but I also think he should run the government like a household" types we regularly hear from.