General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

10 hours ago, strichener said:

Add VAT as the latest tax that the SNP have decided that the status quo is best.  After lobbying for taxes raised in Scotland to be assigned to Scotland this is just the latest in a series of issues that they have walked away from.  VAT, SDA, ADT is hardly a ringing endorsement of devolved powers.

The delays to devolving the other 10 benefits has been put back to 2023 and gives some kind on perspective on how likely the SNP would have been able to set up iScotland in the 18 months that the stated in 2014.

Actually, I think they wanted taxes raised in Scotland to be devolved, not assigned to Scotland - with all the attendant benefits of being able to vary and tailor those. The assignation of VAT was always horseshit - like shredded newspaper to fill out the Smith Commission.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Can someone explain to me the current SNP quarrel that Joanne Cherry is involved in? She is my MP so I feel I should know about it.

It’s not a single issue.

Theres been complaints made about her for various different things. In turn she feels she hasn’t been supported after getting various abuse and a death threat.

Here’s not the place to go into who’s right and who’s wrong in each situation. But what I would say is that I’ve commented on here before that Joanna can be an extremely difficult person behind the scenes but I do have sympathy with her in her current situation. She may have just rubbed too many people up the wrong way previously. 

Edited by Londonwell

On 09/05/2019 at 23:00, welshbairn said:

There are flights to Luton and Gatwick as well. Not sure how you avoid APD by taking Easyjet to Gatwick and even a connecting flight with the same airline. Explain your big trick please.

It's not a trick, just book a connecting flight where the stay in London is less than 24 hours and the final destination is outside the UK and there is no APD to pay.

Screenshot_2019-05-12-22-47-05-930_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.771dfec028528dc62ab4aa736de4c645.pngScreenshot_2019-05-12-22-50-07-878_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.906dea2a534a17b01acd02c1537fc351.png

The first screen shows the fare makeup from Inverness, the second from Aberdeen.  Notice the lack of APD on the INV fare 

On 09/05/2019 at 23:10, Kuro said:

VAT was a trap designed to cut Scotland's budget and demonstrate exactly what you've just said, benefits is actually due to WM being unable to comply.  Do some research.

Please share the "research".  Here is some to get you going:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17611692.warning-of-more-problems-with-devolved-benefits-system/

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17467830.snp-urged-to-apologise-as-devolved-benefits-delayed-to-2024/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/snp-minister-abandons-entire-devolved-benefit-to-the-dwp-1-4884265/amp

No mentions of issues outside of Scotland, I think your "research" is somewhat unreliable.

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

It's not a trick, just book a connecting flight where the stay in London is less than 24 hours and the final destination is outside the UK and there is no APD to pay.

The first screen shows the fare makeup from Inverness, the second from Aberdeen.  Notice the lack of APD on the INV fare 

Does that work if your flights are with different airlines? It does with Schiphol.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Does that work if your flights are with different airlines? It does with Schiphol.

It may if the booking meets the "Connected Flights" rules from HMRC.  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-passenger-duty-and-connected-flights

So in theory any airline that has a code-share with the exempt flight from INV should also be exempt as long as it meets the other requirements such as meeting the connection time criteria.  In practice I think you would probably struggle to get the second airline to wave the APD.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
2 hours ago, welshbairn said:
The lizards.

Who's that then?

The Illuminati? f**k knows, the guy's a nut job after clickbait.

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Our very own@bawwatchin was maintaining the most likely source of the complaints was other Tory & Labour MPs the other day.

If there’s a conspiracy to be had, he’ll be having it.

It’s the same with the Alex Salmond stuff. Cries of an establishment stitch up- it’s fucking staff complaining about him, do we have moles in the SNP waiting on Salmond looking at them the wrong way then?

Mentalist behaviour that in part derives from a paranoia after 2014 that EVERYTHING is a plot against the SNP. What these people (the likes of whom I speak with everyday and in many cases are intelligent individuals) don’t recognise is that they’re actually hurting the cause that they care so much about through their deep seated paranoia.

Edited by Londonwell

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I thought she might be a leadership contender for a while, but think she's probably better suited to being an Yvette Cooper committee inquisitor. It's where her abilities shine.

I would really like to see Angus Robertson get the First minister gig. Obviously he would need to win a seat somewhere but under Nicola I can only see the party continue to lose seats. She's very competent, but clearly not everyone's cup of tea.

Angus already being tipped as a possible candidate to challenge Ruth for Edinburgh Central. A win for him there would be some result!