General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Anything that discourages property management companies gobbling up vast swathes of the market to rent out at extortionate prices is good in my book. A two bedroom flat where I stay is £600  p/m regardless of the condition of the flat. Considering wages up here are among the lowest in the UK it totally hampers any chance to save you have.

[emoji38]
I think you risk falling into a Tory fallacy.
There is enough money in the U.K. to pay decent pensions* AND fund affordable housing AND fund free further and higher education AND fund a proper level of social security.
Adjustment to the tax regime, not letting multi-nationals away with murder and stopping wasting money on nuclear weapons are just three ways of releasing this money.
Next to imposing debilitating austerity, the ruling classes like nothing better than pitching one group in society against another (pensioners v students, homeowners v tenants, employed v unemployed) by peddling the myth of not having enough for all.
Don’t fall into the Tory trap.
* U.K. state pensions are amongst the least generous in the EU.

I was being heavy facetious but when the revolution happens your generation are getting absolutely f**k all, k?

2 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

I was being heavy facetious but when the revolution happens your generation are getting absolutely f**k all, k?

Come the revolution I will have the best Kalashnikov the state pension can buy!

The Brexit debacle has shown just how far to the right the Conservative Party has swung.  For the most part the Parliamentary Party is more moderate than the grass roots by a significant margin.  After the next GE I see a far more polarised HoC, partly due to the fact that there will be no major breakthrough by a centrist party.

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Don't agree with me because it freaks me the f**k out

I read his post sarcastically so I'm not sure if he was agreeing with you.

I do. I've witnessed many people who were promoted away from where they could do most damage who then somehow land the top job. Certainly not all companies I've worked in but a good few.

Intelligence is not a requirement for becoming rich. 

I read his post sarcastically so I'm not sure if he was agreeing with you.
I do. I've witnessed many people who were promoted away from where they could do most damage who then somehow land the top job. Certainly not all companies I've worked in but a good few.
Intelligence is not a requirement for becoming rich. 
I'd imagine Mike Ashley might be the living proof of that closing sentence.....

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Alan Sugar's currently demonstrating that he doesn't understand how tax works.

Seen that, wasn't he a government enterprise advisor or something like that?

Shocked to find that Alan (salt of the earth cockney sparrow cor blimney govner what you see is what you get) Sugar ..is a dick.

12 hours ago, Sharker said:

Seen that, wasn't he a government enterprise advisor or something like that?

Shocked to find that Alan (salt of the earth cockney sparrow cor blimney govner what you see is what you get) Sugar ..is a dick.

The best explanation for this is that his accountant has been ripping him off for decades.