General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

For such a beautiful part of Scotland, you seem to have such disturbing levels of self-loathing in the North-East.  'Dyed-in-the-wool' Labour types voting Tory to keep out the SNP - really ?  Mass voting for Tory incompetents rather than even countenance the I-word - fucking pathetic.  It used to be us in the central belt who lamented the monkeys with red rosettes; it seems they have all turned blue and migrated to the bens and glens.
Still, what chance have we got of anyone getting off their knees with DC Thomson, the P & J, Balmoral Castle , the Braemar Gathering and the Peterhead fishing fleet up there ?  And probably still the influence of the pulpit too.
That's probably true for Aberdeen areas, but Labour have been completely irrelevant in Angus for decades. Their candidate in 2016 was from Bellshill and didn't even bother canvassing [emoji38]

The last GE was some no-mark Fife Councillor [emoji38]

That's probably true for Aberdeen areas, but Labour have been completely irrelevant in Angus for decades. Their candidate in 2016 was from Bellshill and didn't even bother canvassing [emoji38]

The last GE was some no-mark Fife Councillor [emoji38]
I'm old enough to have met Angus MP Jock Bruce Gardyne at Westminster in the days when the Tories hoovered up the farmer votes.

On 4/11/2019 at 12:43, O'Kelly Isley III said:

For such a beautiful part of Scotland, you seem to have such disturbing levels of self-loathing in the North-East.  'Dyed-in-the-wool' Labour types voting Tory to keep out the SNP - really ?  Mass voting for Tory incompetents rather than even countenance the I-word - fucking pathetic.  It used to be us in the central belt who lamented the monkeys with red rosettes; it seems they have all turned blue and migrated to the bens and glens.

Still, what chance have we got of anyone getting off their knees with DC Thomson, the P & J, Balmoral Castle , the Braemar Gathering and the Peterhead fishing fleet up there ?  And probably still the influence of the pulpit too.

Labour haven't got over 7000 votes in Angus since 2001. In 2017 they got 5000.

The idea that Labour voters elected Kirstine Hair (18,000 votes) is a nationalist delusion. It was a straight SNP to Tory swing.

Dennis Canavan talking about his life, the loss of four children and the depression he suffers as a result.  Very sad story - my aunt lived near him and I knew he had one son die but I didn't know that he had lost four of his five children.  Extremely moving - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47932324

I'd take issue with the description of him as "colourful" as well, that's shorthand for pisshead or mad shagger, he is neither.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Dennis Canavan talking about his life, the loss of four children and the depression he suffers as a result.  Very sad story - my aunt lived near him and I knew he had one son die but I didn't know that he had lost four of his five children.  Extremely moving - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47932324

I'd take issue with the description of him as "colourful" as well, that's shorthand for pisshead or mad shagger, he is neither.

I can't imagine the agony of losing one child, let alone four.

I am an atheist myself but when my father was dying it gave me a certain amount of comfort to know that he at least believed that this wasn't the complete end of his life. I notice Denis Canavan seeks similar solace, although he ties this into his own belief in a god as well. One of the few benefits of the invention of organised religion in my opinion.    

That's absolutely horrendous. I had no idea.

Labour haven't got over 7000 votes in Angus since 2001. In 2017 they got 5000.
The idea that Labour voters elected Kirstine Hair (18,000 votes) is a nationalist delusion. It was a straight SNP to Tory swing.
You are missing my point a bit here...I'm just fascinated that in parts of Scotland the anti-SNP vote can transfer easily between Labour and Tory, and even more astonished that it swings from the SNP to the Tories.
However, I reckon the latter can be explained by considering folk who were always Nationalists with a small 'n' and who default to tugging the forelock when the Indy issue gets serious.
What are they so frightened of ?

22 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Couple of crackers recently:

Sky News anchor complains her own tenants can't change lightbulbs in section on the unaffordability of renting in London:

You're forgetting the real victim here.

https://twitter.com/JayneSeckerSky/status/1118050562203897856

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Quite possibly. I've no idea of the proportions but every new housing development I see has to let signs up weeks after the houses are finished. It's all very shady and not in the interests of normal folk who just want to buy a house.

If it wasn't for people buying to let then that development may not have been built.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Maybe for the business model of the current crop of housebuilders.

There are a few builders/marketers of certain new builds develooments down here who are totally disinterested when applicants who need a mortgage turn up. Just an inconvenience to some of them. 

Buy to letters are often cash buyers so easier to deal with - less chance of pulling out.

Huge price rises between 2012-2016 here coupled with tax changes have led to a lot of them moving north as well, so the impact will likely spread. 

6 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Mao was absolutely wrong on absolutely everything.

Some people are so undiscriminating that they say a Russian fart is fragrant. That too is subjectivism. The Russians themselves say it stinks. Therefore, we should be analytical. Mao Tse-tung   30 August 1956