General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

13 hours ago, red23 said:

You've no background or idea of any sacrifice i may or may not have made or make to obtain approx that kind of figure though do you?

Bottom line would you happily hand over an extra £1500 cash per year than someone elsewhere in the UK?

I'd gladly pay more tax for free healthcare here in the States. I'm sure most people here would like free higher education too, or even affordable higher education.

11 minutes ago, Anonapersona said:

I'd gladly pay more tax for free healthcare here in the States. I'm sure most people here would like free higher education too, or even affordable higher education.

Isn’t there a clear division in political allegiance in the USA between those with and without college degrees?

Can’t see the Republicans wanting an educated electorate.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Isn’t there a clear division in political allegiance in the USA between those with and without college degrees?

Can’t see the Republicans wanting an educated electorate.

It's difficult for me say honestly because I steer away from political and religious talk. I learned very quickly to hide my atheism.

However, I've definitely found the more outspoken Jesus-loving, gun-tooting, low wage individuals to be openly republican and just plain thick.

12 minutes ago, Anonapersona said:

It's difficult for me say honestly because I steer away from political and religious talk. I learned very quickly to hide my atheism.

However, I've definitely found the more outspoken Jesus-loving, gun-tooting, low wage individuals to be openly republican and just plain thick.

Not quite as big a gap as I thought but still quite relevant; relates to white voters primarily.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/11/education-gap-explains-american-politics/575113/

On 11/11/2018 at 16:51, MixuFixit said:

MPs should be picked at random like jury duty for a single term & should have to wear stickers displaying the names of their lobbying/conflicts of interest in parliament.

I quite like this proposal, assuming you're talking about 'picked at random' from the entire eligible adult population of the UK.

It could theoretically result in entertaining situations like Roman Catholic Celtic supporters representing staunch Ulster constituencies, the next Fred West serving as Minister of State for Children, Young People, and Families, Harold Shipman as Secretary of State for Health and Social Care etc.

Obviously there's a fundamental problem with the last two, being as they're both dead, but the potential for all sorts of hilarity is there.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

I hadn't pondered those sort of implications and now that I have I am even more convinced it'd be mighty craic.

Folk would be getting their knickers in a twist about Shipman and his ilk, but the fact remains, he's killed nowhere near as many folk as the DWP under the Tories.

There you go. Harold Shipman, the moderate, caring face of a new breed of compassionate UK politicians :)

18 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I quite like this proposal, assuming you're talking about 'picked at random' from the entire eligible adult population of the UK.

It could theoretically result in entertaining situations like Roman Catholic Celtic supporters representing staunch Ulster constituencies, the next Fred West serving as Minister of State for Children, Young People, and Families, Harold Shipman as Secretary of State for Health and Social Care etc.

Obviously there's a fundamental problem with the last two, being as they're both dead, but the potential for all sorts of hilarity is there.

I was going to suggest @jupe1407 as Minister for the Elderly but that’s probably taking it too far.

4 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:
17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
I was going to suggest [mention=15829]jupe1407[/mention] as Minister for the Elderly but that’s probably taking it too far.

Compulsory euthanasia at 65.

FTFY

36 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Folk would be getting their knickers in a twist about Shipman and his ilk, but the fact remains, he's killed nowhere near as many folk as the DWP under the Tories.

There you go. Harold Shipman, the moderate, caring face of a new breed of compassionate UK politicians :)

Pragmatism I would say.

When faced with an overstretched health service involving too many patients and not enough doctors, he came up with his own solutions.

Don't seem to see so much of that forward thinking nowadays.