General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Might have already been covered but the SNP can poke my past support up their ass. 41 percent tax rate starting from 43k rather than the rest of the UK at 40 percent from 50k.

For years i had an awful wage and finally made the step up this year.

Works out approx 2k IN MY HAND less because i live in Scotland.........utter bollocks

7 minutes ago, red23 said:

Might have already been covered but the SNP can poke my past support up their ass. 41 percent tax rate starting from 43k rather than the rest of the UK at 40 percent from 50k.

For years i had an awful wage and finally made the step up this year.

Works out approx 2k IN MY HAND less because i live in Scotland.........utter bollocks

You should certainly move.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

For this to be the case your salary must be well in excess of £100k, closer to the top rate £150k. If it is, fair play to you, you should be pleased to give a bit more tax preserving and protecting Scotland as much as is possible in the current legislative framework.

If it isn't, then your sums are a bit off and you're probably upset when you don't really need to be.

Used the salary calculator online.

No where near that wages that's for sure. I should have clarified i  meant 2k a year

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Nope its correct.

Edit: Looks like new bands coming into force in 2019 do in fact take a bigger chunk, not sure what the detail is on that.

Yeah this is where i've been getting the info provided its correct, closer to the 2k mark of tax more per year.  £166.77 less per month is an utter kick in the bollocks tbh. I don't mind a bit of a gap but this i just too much.

5 minutes ago, red23 said:

Yeah this is where i've been getting the info provided its correct, closer to the 2k mark of tax more per year.  £166.77 less per month is an utter kick in the bollocks tbh. I don't mind a bit of a gap but this i just too much.

What's your annual salary?

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's a substantial change in take home pay between years, though I'd point out it's from the tories raising the 40% threshold rather than the SNP adding 1% to it, so you have to ask yourself if they hadn't done this (it seems economically cavalier to me, but I'm no expert), would you have been unhappy at your level of taxation?

Correct, if they hadn't raised it to 50k starting point for the 40% tax i wouldn't have minded. 

But the SNP and Greens approving thetax rates at 43k with a 41% tax is what gets me.

If my sums are right, you will be paying 20% tax on income between £43,450 and £50K in England. You'll be paying 41% on this money in Scotland. That's a difference of 21%

£50,000 - £43,450 = £6550

21% of £6550 = £1375.50

You'll pay £1375.50 more income tax in Scotland per year on this specific income in the band I've described.

However, the calculation will also be affected by the differing rates below £43,450 and over £50K, but not by as much as in the £43450-£50K band

Just now, red23 said:

Without complications lets say 65k

I'm assuming that's pre tax?

So the first £11,850 is tax free at 0%
The starter rate between £11,851 to £13,850 at 19% you'll be taxed £378 (rounded)
The basic rate between £13,851 to 24,000 at 20% you'll be taxed £2030 (rounded)
The intermediate rate between £24,001 to £43,430 at 21% you'll be taxed £4080 (rounded)
The higher rate between £43,431 to £150,000 at 41% you'll be taxed £8,845 (rounded)

So in total, you'll be taxed £15,333 from your £65,000 salary in Scotland.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland it works out as follows:

First £11,850 is again tax free at 0%
There is no starter rate
The basic rate between £11,851 to £46,350 at 20% you'll be taxed £6,900 (rounded)
There is no intermediate rate
The higher rate between £46,351-£150,000 at  40% you'll be taxed £8,393 (rounded)

So in total, you'll be taxed £15,293

You'd be saving the grand total of £40 a year if you moved to England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Source (Scotland) - https://www.gov.uk/scottish-income-tax
Source (England, Wales, Northern Ireland) - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/tax/income-tax-how-much-should-you-pay/income-tax-rates/

9 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

You'd be saving the grand total of £40 a year if you moved to England, Wales or Northern.

Until you realise income tax isn't the only tax paid.  If just say you move houses and head to England, the same property band will cost you more in Council Tax... then add in the Water etc. 

People earning £65k per annum can afford to pay the requisite tax.
You arguement is far too simplistic. That doesnt allow for anyone on any wage to complain about affordability of tax.

Of course, almost everyone is taxed at source and has no choice but to afford it, that doesnt give you the right to make uninformed comments on his fanances based on knowing his gross salary and nothing else though.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Then you can afford to pay it.  Stop moaning.

don't be a fud.

22 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

I'm assuming that's pre tax?

So the first £11,850 is tax free at 0%
The starter rate between £11,851 to £13,850 at 19% you'll be taxed £378 (rounded)
The basic rate between £13,851 to 24,000 at 20% you'll be taxed £2030 (rounded)
The intermediate rate between £24,001 to £43,430 at 21% you'll be taxed £4080 (rounded)
The higher rate between £43,431 to £150,000 at 41% you'll be taxed £8,845 (rounded)

So in total, you'll be taxed £15,333 from your £65,000 salary in Scotland.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland it works out as follows:

First £11,850 is again tax free at 0%
There is no starter rate
The basic rate between £11,851 to £46,350 at 20% you'll be taxed £6,900 (rounded)
There is no intermediate rate
The higher rate between £46,351-£150,000 at  40% you'll be taxed £8,393 (rounded)

So in total, you'll be taxed £15,293

You'd be saving the grand total of £40 a year if you moved to England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Source (Scotland) - https://www.gov.uk/scottish-income-tax
Source (England, Wales, Northern Ireland) - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/tax/income-tax-how-much-should-you-pay/income-tax-rates/

Good work there but not sure it's 100% right. The 40% tax rate in England is changing to  start at 50k

Edited by red23

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

My heart bleeds for the poor lamb struggling to get by on only three times the national average.

You've no background or idea of any sacrifice i may or may not have made or make to obtain approx that kind of figure though do you?

Bottom line would you happily hand over an extra £1500 cash per year than someone elsewhere in the UK?