General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Those headline numbers are meaningless. Without at least a partial breakdown it's not possible to tell if they are ripping the pish.

Flights into London City Airport on a Monday and back again on a Thursday are silly prices. Running an office and staff costs a lot as well. Nothing really wrong with claiming every penny for every allowable expense.

16 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I have no issue with the claims themselves, just think the idea of highlighting tory ones as A Bad Thing when SNP ones are certainly no better is risky.

Obviously the tory expenses will be high as well. With all them plane trips they take to Scotland.....

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Bad days for our Defence and Transport ministers. Courtesy of Armando Iannucci's twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/IanMartin/status/1094916184376573952

https://twitter.com/chrismorrisbits/status/1094129384645107712

Williamson came across as some completely deluded megalomaniac who had completely lost the plot. It appears he wants to take on Russia, China and everyone else (apart from the USA of course) with our 1 aircraft carrier. 

I'm sure he's also gagging for a shot at Venezuela (alongside our masters of course).

It would be totally hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous.

#puremadmentalbrits

3 hours ago, sparky88 said:

His predecessor as MP claimed 130k less in 2013.

Maybe his predecessor was a lazy c**t that never got off her/his arse.

I’m not saying it’s the case, just offering a possible alternate explanation.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe his predecessor was a lazy c**t that never got off her/his arse.

I’m not saying it’s the case, just offering a possible alternate explanation.

Maybe that could explain Priti Patel's high expense claim as well, I suppose.

Edited by sparky88

8 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Williamson came across as some completely deluded megalomaniac who had completely lost the plot. It appears he wants to take on Russia, China and everyone else (apart from the USA of course) with our 1 aircraft carrier. 

I'm sure he's also gagging for a shot at Venezuela (alongside our masters of course).

It would be totally hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous.

#puremadmentalbrits

Here's a relatively right wing but independently thinking voice on Williamson. I'm surprised he's getting less stick than Grayling, we've got a totally deluded nutter in charge of our Military. Downing Street have already squashed most of his speech, especially sending our new aircraft carrier out to enforce the South China Sea with a couple of planes and before it's completed its sea trials.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/11/gavin-williamson-defence-policy-uk

Edited by welshbairn

9 hours ago, sparky88 said:

His predecessor as MP claimed 130k less in 2013.

Sparky, have you got your hands on the Jackie Baillie Calculator?

Alan Reid claimed £173,133.67 in financial year 2012/13, £178,073.64 in financial year 2013/14 and £173,803.28 in financial year 2014/15.

He also claimed a further £66,461.46 in 2015/16. Quite a sum, considering he was kicked out after about a month of that financial year.

All figures are available here by using the calendar button

Either withdraw your ridiculous claim, or provide some verifiable justification for it.

Alan Reid claimed £173,133.67 in financial year 2012/13, £178,073.64 in financial year 2013/14 and £173,803.28 in financial year 2014/15.
He also claimed a further £66,461.46 in 2015/16. Quite a sum, considering he was kicked out after about a month of that financial year.
Either withdraw your ridiculous claim, or provide some verifiable justification for it.

Pretty sure the last years claim also covers redundancy payment for office staff? If so thats pretty reasonable.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Here's a relatively right wing but independently thinking voice on Williamson. I'm surprised he's getting less stick than Grayling, we've got a totally deluded nutter in charge of our Military. Downing Street have already squashed most of his speech, especially sending our new aircraft carrier out to enforce the South China Sea with a couple of planes and before it's completed its sea trials.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/11/gavin-williamson-defence-policy-uk

Good article and puts it all in a nutshell.

10 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Must have looked at the wrong figures.